Refusal To Pay Dog Fine

Greytmate

It was reported on the news today that Brisbane resident, Patricia Abrahams, will have her driving licence suspended indefinitely due to not paying some fines three years ago.

At that time she had two unregistered dogs that got out, and they ended up in the pound. She decided to collect one, but leave the other one at the pound. She was fined $150, but she didn't want to pay.

Now the State government debt collection agency has caught up with her, and she won't get her licence back until she pays the fine.

She is now saying it is "Blackmail". She is calling the Brisbane City Council, "Cold, Callous and Immoral". Brisbane Councillor Geraldine Knapp spoke in defence of this woman.

The news report said that Patricia was taking the "moral high ground" by refusing to pay. The report claimed that Patricia would suffer hardship as she wouldn't be able to drive to work.

BTW, she now has a new pet, a labradoodle.

:rofl: :rofl: :D

Edited to remove a few comments.

I am unimpressed with the woman's comments and behaviour, what do others think?

Edited by Greytmate

I don't agree with removing her drivers licence for not paying the fine.

If they want to recover the money then there is a process for debt recovery such as getting money directly from her wages/income ... plus interest. Her drivers licence should have nothing to do with the local council.

If they want to recover the money then there is a process for debt recovery such as getting money directly from her wages/income ... plus interest. Her drivers licence should have nothing to do with the local council.

I think the same.

I am ok with them taking your licence if it has something to do with driving fines not being paid but taking it for any old fine you owe to any type of government is going over the top.

The State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER) is responsible for the collection and enforcement of unpaid infringement notice fines and court ordered monetary fines issued in Queensland.

How SPER Works

She can apply to pay in instalments, and SPER has the option of taking the money directly from her wages, but only if she earns over a certain amount.

Looks like she might have to take the bus for a while. :rofl:

At this point any of the following Enforcement actions can be issued against you.

Driver Licence Suspension

Fines Collection Notice

Immobilisation Warrant

Seizure of property (including car, house)

Arrest Warrant

I agree with the Drivers Licence Suspension if the fines relate to driving a vehicle, parking etc but not for this particular matter.

I do agree she should be made to pay-up (don't get me wrong) but I just don't agree with the suspension of the drivers licence - any of the others, yep ... no problems.

hmm tough one.

I can see both sides, driver licence really doesn't have much to do with dog ownership so think it could be unfair in that regard, however I also agree with the comment

I say use whatever method hurts them most and thus causes them to pay up. Drivers licence seems to fit the bill.

This woman obviously feels no urge to do the right thing and pay the council fine, some of which will go back to the pound and I guarantee is only a fraction of the money spent by them on the dogs she so cruelly dumped there.

This woman SHOULD however be banned from owning another dog until she pays the fine and maybe not even then.

I feel no sympathy, probably because she collected one dog and not the other.

I don't care how they recover the monies from fines and if it takes the suspension of a drivers licence, so be it. She's obviously neglected to pay the fine for three years and thought she could get away with it.

I say use whatever method hurts them most and thus causes them to pay up. Drivers licence seems to fit the bill.

Yep.

I'm paying fines via sper. They take $20 a fortnight on arrangement. It means I can drive!

How does someone take the moral highground when she has no morals (leaving one dog to die in a pound. Terrible.)

Like others I dont agree with the cancelation of driving licences over debt recovery not linked to trans qld.

I wonder how shitty the debt collecters must get over those people who decide never to hold a drivers licence lol.

At this point any of the following Enforcement actions can be issued against you.

Driver Licence Suspension

Fines Collection Notice

Immobilisation Warrant

Seizure of property (including car, house)

Arrest Warrant

I'm wondering what 'Immobilisation Warrant' means. Are the local Mafia sent to put concrete shoes on runaway debtors? :dancingelephant:

I agree this woman should be made to pay the fine. And who's she to complain about being treated badly when she once left a poor dog in the pound, probably to die there.

Edited by mita

I'm wondering what 'Immobilisation Warrant' means. Are the local Mafia sent to put concrete shoes on runaway debtors? :dancingelephant:
What is an Immobilisation Warrant?

From 1 January 2010, the State Penalties Enforcement Act 1999 allows the issue of an Immobilisation Warrant where a debt is not satisfied after the expiration of the relevant enforcement order. An Immobilisation Warrant authorises an enforcement officer to attach a wheel clamp to any vehicle registered in your name without your consent.

I think it is extremely unjust to take away her license for fines which do not involve driving or the car.

We know nothing about the events which led to this, and I can see a number of scenarios which meant she was not happy about paying the $150

Some years ago, a dog was found out of his yard, and impounded by a council. The owner collected the dog the same day, and was faced with hundreds of dollars of fines. He rightly pointed out that the dog was correctly registered with the council, was wearing a collar and tag, and was loose for several hours only. The dog had been registered all his life - he was middle aged. The dog was not a serial escaper.

The owner stated that the registration fee he paid should have been sufficient for the council to telephone him to collect the dog, or to return the dog to its home as soon as it was collected. He further stated that as he collected the dog from the pound within a few hours of impounding, he should not have been charged hundreds of dollars.

As a protest, he refused to pay the fines, and the dog was pts. He featured in the paper - he said he would be devastated to lose the dog, but the system was unjust, and he would not therefore support it.

I don't know that I could have done that, but I do understand where the owner was coming from.

I'd like to see the full story, and no matter what it was, I don't believe that the government should be allowed to remove your license,which may well be your means of livlihood for unpaid fines which have nothing to do with your car, no matter what they are. The government already has means to collect money, as others have already pointed out, and that is what they should do.

Talk about Big Brother.