Prednisone

What has been your experience with prednisone?

How was it administered?

Forgive my ignorance but does it come in tablet form that can be crushed and put into food?

How often is it given?

Were there any side effects in your case?

(We are dealing with a case of lymphoma with enlarged lymph nodes in the neck which have increased although energy levels and eating habits are fine.)

Hi Cornell, we lost our standard poo (11 yrs) to lymphoma last year and chose to treat her with prednisone in her final months so that she enjoyed the time she had left. It did increase her appetite (I gave her 6 small meals per day - including a midnight snack) and she did drink and wee a lot more. She was on a very high dose and did get a pot belly and lost probably one third of her hair. In the last 2 weeks her appetite was very finicky and she would only eat something new and interesting. I am glad we used the prednisone as it made her comfortable

Big hug to you and your dog

I should add that our girl had food allergies and the pred meant that she could eat anything she wanted which was important to us as she loved her food. In the final week of her life she needed to be hand fed and tempted to eat and the day she refused food (despite the prednisone) was the day we said goodbye.

Edited by frufru

Varied

How was it administered?

Tablet

Forgive my ignorance but does it come in tablet form that can be crushed and put into food?

You'd probably just want to chuck it in a piece of hotdog or something to ensure the dog gets the required dossage.

How often is it given?

It's individual and as prescribed by your Vet.

Depends on the dossage and length of time the dog is on it.

My dogs most common side effects are thin coat, thin skin that bruises easily, skin infections, sunken skull. We didn't have weight gain, but do have increase water intake and in-turn increased toilet breaks.

Varied

How was it administered?

Tablet

You'd probably just want to chuck it in a piece of hotdog or something to ensure the dog gets the required dossage.

How often is it given?

It's individual and as prescribed by your Vet.

Depends on the dossage and length of time the dog is on it.

My dogs most common side effects are thin coat, thin skin that bruises easily, skin infections, sunken skull. We didn't have weight gain, but do have increase water intake and in-turn increased toilet breaks.

In my case, another vet I took my boy to after a severe pancreatic attack seemed to think there was a big chance it was caused by prednisone. This was confirmed by others in the know that there was a good chance for it to be true. By the way, my dogs are fed low fat diets, knowing that mini schnauzers should not be fed fat rich diets.

As everyone else has said it's easy to adminster. Side effects for my boy included weight gain and a ravenous appetite - he went from being the most reliable dog you can imagine at not begging or stealing, to trying to eat anything not nailed down.

Edited by Diva

In my case, another vet I took my boy to after a severe pancreatic attack seemed to think there was a big chance it was caused by prednisone. This was confirmed by others in the know that there was a good chance for it to be true. By the way, my dogs are fed low fat diets, knowing that mini schnauzers should not be fed fat rich diets.

I believe that is a known side effect of Pred.

Too much prednisolone will cause the following

Cushing's Disease, or Hyperadrenocorticism, is the production of an excess of adrenal hormone, or, more particularly, corticosteroids. Iatrogenic Cushing's Disease is caused by the frequent use of cortisol. The excess amount of cortisol tells the adrenal glands that they can halt production of cortisol in the body, which causes them to decrease in size.

Symptoms

Drastic increase in thirst

Increase in appetite

"Pot belly" due to the enlarging of the liver

Weakened abdomen muscles

Hair loss (without itchiness)

Lethargy

Available Treatments

The treatment for Iatrogenic Cushing's Disease is a slow withdrawal of cortisol. A dramatic decrease in cortisol before the adrenal glands have recovered can result in severe consequences, like vomiting, diarrhea, or vascular collapse, even death.

Having had a dog with Cushing's disease I am very conscious of giving my current dog Pred for more than a couple of weeks.

And added to all other side effects mentioned there is also the muscle atrophy. Much of the "pot bellied" appearance is owing to this as the top line disappears and the wasting of most muscles in the body cannot hold the tummy up where it normally is. So loss of head (muscle, cosmetic only) and a general weakness in the limbs, which of course can in turn cause breaks or general soreness. Care is needed if exercise is given.

Once again this depends on the dose, length of treatment and type/size of dog.

I have had quite a bit of experience using this drug and from my experience the muscle atrophy was always the worst side effect in all my dogs.

Edited by dyzney

My first post ^^ But something I think I can contribute too =)

My dog has recently been put on cortisone (macrolone 20mg daily due to his case). It comes in a tiny blue tablet. Side effects included increased thirst and urination, insomnia.. (when he started out with 2 tabs a day); we're now on day 8 and we're seeing hyperactivity (jumping up on tables, bolting to the gate and chasing his tail when just days before he was quite lame from spinal and knee problems) and funnily enough a ravenous appetite like Diva mentioned!

I believe that is a known side effect of Pred.

Yes, that's my experience - Angs developed pancreatitis while on cortisone HOWEVER that was on long term use.

Is there anything you can do to help prevent a dog who is on long term cortisone from developing pancreatitis? I have a GSD who's on macrolone for steroid responsive meningitis.

Has anyone else used prednisone when their dog was in the final stages of Lymphoma?

My girl was diagnosed with Lymphoma at 11yrs.I chose to treat her with prednisone.

She was on one tablet a day for 2 1/2 yrs. All the side effects previously mentioned she had .

Unfortunately meaty bones where a real "no go" for her & I did have to change her diet but also gave her

fish oil tablets daily which helped her coat.

Although she had alot of muscle wastage especially in her final months she still looked forward to her daily walks.