Where Will Your Next Dog Come From

poodlefan

Where will your next dog come from?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. I will get my next dog from

• DOL listed registered breeder
    • Other Registered Breeder (ANKC or other register)
    • Rescue Organisation
    • Shelter
    • Pound
    • RSPCA
    • Non registered Breeder
    • Pet Shop
    • Other
  2. 2. My next dog will be

• A pup
    • A mature dog
    • A senior dog
  3. 3. DOL Forum Membership has influenced this decision

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOL hasn't influenced my personal decisions any, but it's made me more anal to others about where they get their next dog from :)

When I started researching for my first Lab over 3 years ago, I have no idea what made me want to go the registered breeder route, probably because of all the health problems Labs can suffer. No forums had influenced me and growing up we'd only ever had dogs bought out of the paper. Then I joined a Lab forum, was converted and relieved I had the common sense to get a dog through a registered breeder who did all the right health tests as my nagging thoughts had been right :laugh:

After vowing to never get a rescue dog because I like having a dog where I am responsible for all their good AND bad behaviours as I would have them as a pup, something made me get a rescue for a second dog. While she's proved to be the most loveable and trainable girl, she has certain issues that I can't solve. It's converted me back to only wanting puppies!

Next dog will be a different breed, a puppy, and from a registered breeder. Whether or not they are a DOL member is irrelevant :D Sadly the next dog is probably 3-5 years away :)

Our next dog will be my daughters to train & compete with in agility. It will likely be a young female from the pound that we will foster first.

I am not sure where my next dog will come from. It will be a working Border Collie & is unlikely to be ANKC registered. I would love another dog with the same breeding as my girls but unfortunately I seriously doubt that option will be available to me :laugh: . I hope when I am ready to look again that I can find a breeding that comes close to being what I adore so much about them. They are perfect for me & I can't help thinking that anything else will be a compromise :) .

DOL has certainly raised my awareness of rescue & the great dogs that can be found there.

Edited by Vickie

My next dog will most likely come from the belly of one of my current girls so it will be a puppy. I voted other but it could be a DOL breeder as Im one of them.

Alternativelly I might import.

No DOL has not influenced me.

Edited by MonElite

I *think* that I want a dog from working lines next time around, so i would be looking at a puppy that is unlikely to be ANKC registered.

However this is a long term plan and I'm not looking to get another dog any time soon.

DOL has influenced me, but maybe in different ways to others... I would NOT buy a puppy from a pet store or BYB regardless.

Good poll :laugh:

My Next Dog, will be a puppy (must...wait...4...months... *twitch*) and from a Registered Breeder who just happens to be registered on DOL. As was my last Dog, And Im quite sure any dog I get in the future will continue to be from registered breeders. I do find DOL to be the best stepping stone for finding a good registered breeder.

If the breeders are on DOL thats great, But I tend to choose my breeders based mostly on ethics. Though DOL does make breeders easy to find. Before I think I found registered breeders by going to shows like the Sydney Royal or Pet Expo etc.

i don't want anything special *said in the nicest possible way*

my heart belongs with rescues, of any breed including mutleys...

there are too many without forever homes and my heart aches for all of them...

having adopted an older dog in the past 6 months, my next will be one that's younger, a pup even :laugh:

DOL has definitely influenced my decision about where to get my next (first) dog. I was very close to going down to the pet shop and buying a schnauzer x poodle when I stumbled across this forum via google. It made me realise that I wasn't ready for a dog yet, and I have spent nearly 12 months researching on here (mainly silently), on other websites, and in books.

My next dog will be a pup from an ANKC registered breeder, most likely also listed on DOL.

I am so glad I found DOL, the information on here has taught me so much. I don't know where I'd be without it! :laugh:

Edited For Spelling

Edited by sch18490

Growing up all of our dogs were basically FTGH.

The first dog I seriously competed with was purchased from the markets and I picked her because she cheekily bit my finger - neither sound reasons for choosing a pup obviously, but she turned out to be the best dog I've ever owned or am likely to ever own (Sheila RIP).

I'm a long way off getting another dog, but then I don't usually get to choose, they tend to choose me.

While a couple of dogs being exhibited at Canberra Royal really did appeal, I do lean towards the dogs from working lines like my Mick.

Still, it will probably end up being one of my foster dogs that just won't fit in anywhere else (I tend to be drawn to the high drive ones with heaps of attitude), like my adorable Trevor. He's the little dog no-one wanted that I was lucky enough to get a second chance to enjoy.

There have been a couple of notable fosters that I may well forever regret rehoming, even though their new homes are fantastic, ones I will always wistfully wonder 'what if?'. I still pine for Frosty who I had for over a year, but her owner/handler keeps in touch and is smitten with her just as I was. Another 'bouncer' I have here at the moment, big Diesel, also has stolen my heart damn it..... :laugh:

Anyway, my main focus for a while will be a young rescue horse who is about to embark on his ridden career.

I can't say that being a DOLer has influenced me heavily one way or another to be honest. My views were mainly formed from my own belief system, activities and experiences, along with some outside influences.

I guess we get to see a lot of different persepectives being heavily involved in rescue too. Much of our time is devoted to saving dogs from death row, but we also assist with private rehomings. There is a lot of intelligence inadvertently gathered during this process about which registered breeders are professional and ethical and those who aren't.

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02

My two girls had urgent in their advertisements- and I love the thought of giving a rescue dog a forever home.

As much as I love the cuteness of puppies I would not mind a more mature dog :laugh:

EFS

Edited by Leithy

Next dog will be a Smooth collie pup from a reputable registered breeder. Maybe in about 10 years, if this does not work out I think I will be adopting a senior dog (medium/ large breed of any kind just the one that wins my heart. )

ETA I am seriously thinking of a poodle pup in the future. This is entirely because of what I have read on DOL as it was not a breed I had ever considered. When I do those match owner to breed questionnaires it always comes up with a poodle.

Edited by mokhahouse

My next dog will be a show prospect pup from a registered breeder who also happens to be on DOL, and the few after that in the coming years! Eventually though I would like to consider looking into a lovely rescue Grey. They're such sweet dogs and have always appealed greatly to me.

With any luck it will be at least 5 years before we'll be looking for another dog. When that time comes the dog's origins will depend upon who will be the primary owner.

If we decide to get a pet for our children we'll look for a rescue, preferably a young adult with a stable temperament that can help me teach them about pet ownership. This dog will come from an organisation that fosters it's dogs in home situations and temperament tests, so that we have a level of confidence in what we're getting. While a cute puppy would be nice for the kids, I don't think I want to go through the traumas of a young pup with my kids.

If I'm looking for a pet for me, it will be a purebred dog from a registered (not necessarily ANKC or on DOL) breeder who does all the appropriate health testing for the breed and provides excellent follow up and support to their puppy buyers. I have two or three breeds in mind at the moment and that choice will be influenced in part by the attitude of the breeders. Although it's most likely I'll get a pup, I'll be just as happy with anything up to an oldie.

DOL has influence my decision in that I now know that there are more rescues in Melbourne than the RSPCA & LDH and I have a much better understanding of what constitutes a reputable breeder than I did before I joined.

Edited by popsicle

I will always buy puppies from registered breeders, always have, always will.

My first dog was a Bernese Mountain Dog, and I was just lucky that I stumbled along the BMD club here in SA and met my fabulous breeder and the rest is history. At the time I didn't know about registered breeders or puppy farmers, I just knew what I wanted, and luckily I got onto someone who did everything perfectly :D

My first Saint Bernard was from a registered breeder, but wasn't a great experience. I met several other LOVELY Saint people through sharing my stories here on the DOL forums though, and one in particular who has been an absolute angel to me (you know who you are :) ) and put me onto my current Saint breeder, who I couldn't be happier with and will hopefully be my mentor, as I hope to show my next pup and eventually breed.

I have had dogs from BYB, refuges and god knows where :D DOL plus my own experiences have influenced me to buy a puppy only from a registered breeder but not confined to breeders on DOL on here.

Edited by joelle

I have fairly firm criteria for my next dog and as I won't be looking for 10yrs or so I'll be "ah hum" closer to the senior side it will be a dog older than 3/4 years.

It will either be a rescue or a retired dog from a breeder.

I would love a puppy and everything that goes with it

reality is though that i will probably look for either a senior or a mature dog that needs a home from the pound or rescue. I don't want a dog for any particular reason then to love, so I think it would be the best idea