Luki - Parvo Survivor

Today I went to the pound to pick up little husky boy 1486.

I noted he was sick looking, quiet lethargic, all bones and very dehydrated.

I knew there was a risk it could of been the worse, but wasnt going to leave him there to die.

I had the kids with me, Bailey in the pram, Jack in tow. We didnt come home with our newest little friend, but instead drove to my Vet. :(

He is much younger and smaller than I expected. I hadnt really checked him out much because I assumed he would be safe - until I got the call yesterday to say he was urgent and required rescue. I wasnt able to make it on the weekend to pick him up, so packed the kids into the car and went today.

Back at the Vet, a parvo test was performed. I feared the worse. The Vet said to give him a call in half hr for the results.

I came home. Waited a little while than called.

The result; Parvo virus positive. Very strong at that according to the Vet

I instructed the Vet even before the result was back, that if it was that, to treat him NOW.

He did. He advised he had started treatment already.

Being so young and so small, I dont know what chance he stands. I feel numb to be honest.

Numb and heartbroken :(

I have contacted the pound to let them know.

We didnt even get a chance to name him.

I am NOT giving up hope. He is in the best hands now. I am going to visit him this afternoon.

Edited by k9angel

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another reason bp should vaccinate when they arrive like hp does, feel sorry, as he was penned with other pup s by the look of it, so they would have been at risk aswell :laugh:

good luck, hope he makes it :)

What has happened to his pen mates?

I am so worried. The blk & wht husky pup was sold. What happens if he gets sick too? Will the owners know to take him to the Vet, will they even bother treating him or just let him die a slow and painful death????

There was another staffy x looking junior left in with this boy. He appeared ok, but for how long?? maybe he will get it too.

This may sound really strange to some, but as I soon as I arrived at the pound I thought I could smell parvo in the air. :)

Then when I saw this boy, laying there all lethargic, the staffy pup walking all over him, I feared the worse.

There are so many littlies (pups) in there atm.

Those border collie pups are only very young and IMO, should be out under DOC.

Can anyone help them..... PLEASE???????

I fear they'll all end up with it and die. :laugh:

I have spoken to pound staff to alert them to it, and have suggested those pups go out under DOC.

The pound needs to contact and warn the new owner asap so that the pup can get checked by a vet. If they are unaware of early symptoms it may be too late for the littley.

How devastating for everyone involved

Your little man looks like a Cody to me, I hope he makes it

Edited by casowner

I am so worried. The blk & wht husky pup was sold. What happens if he gets sick too? Will the owners know to take him to the Vet, will they even bother treating him or just let him die a slow and painful death????

There was another staffy x looking junior left in with this boy. He appeared ok, but for how long?? maybe he will get it too.

This may sound really strange to some, but as I soon as I arrived at the pound I thought I could smell parvo in the air. :)

Then when I saw this boy, laying there all lethargic, the staffy pup walking all over him, I feared the worse.

I fear they'll all end up with it and die. :laugh:

I have spoken to pound staff to alert them to it, and have suggested those pups go out under DOC.

k9angel, so sorry to hear this about that beautiful boy, I hope and pray he can be saved and makes a full recovery soon. I hope you don't mind me asking, but the little minpinXchi girl that I adopted on 6/3/10 was in kennel 10 [your boy was in kennel 8]. She now has kennel cough, but what is the likelihood of her being exposed to the parvo? I'm really worried now.... What symptoms should I be looking for if, in fact, she has been exposed? :) Should I now take her to the vet just in case?

K9 I have my fingers and toes crossed for this little boy and his pound mates. I am linked to BFR in Qld and a collie cross with paws and ears too big for its head and body from up this way recently went into foster care but became sick with parvo immediately and despite the best efforts of everyone he didn't make it. He was in the vet for a week. Incredibly sad. He has 4 litter mates not affected though.

It's a reminder of how fragile these little guys really are. It sucks and they don't deserve to be so sick or end up dumped in the pound, but they are lucky to have people like you out there trying to turn that around.

Thank you for caring so much - I hope he is able to fight it.

Alyson

I fear they'll all end up with it and die. :D

k9angel, so sorry to hear this about that beautiful boy, I hope and pray he can be saved and makes a full recovery soon. I hope you don't mind me asking, but the little minpinXchi girl that I adopted on 6/3/10 was in kennel 10 [your boy was in kennel 8]. She now has kennel cough, but what is the likelihood of her being exposed to the parvo? I'm really worried now.... What symptoms should I be looking for if, in fact, she has been exposed? :) Should I now take her to the vet just in case?

She will go off her food, become depressed and lethargic. Some go down hill much faster than others.

She will vomitt and have the runs, which usually, eventually turns bloody. :laugh:

Parvo is a terrible, terrible thing. A very cruel disease.

My girl Blacky (now 6 and also a husky) is a parvo survivor. She went down hill so fast overnight. She spent some time (weeks) at the Vet but made a full recovery.

I am hoping this little boy makes it. I really am.

K9 I have my fingers and toes crossed for this little boy and his pound mates. I am linked to BFR in Qld and a collie cross with paws and ears too big for its head and body from up this way recently went into foster care but became sick with parvo immediately and despite the best efforts of everyone he didn't make it. He was in the vet for a week. Incredibly sad. He has 4 litter mates not affected though.

It's a reminder of how fragile these little guys really are. It sucks and they don't deserve to be so sick or end up dumped in the pound, but they are lucky to have people like you out there trying to turn that around.

Thank you for caring so much - I hope he is able to fight it.

Alyson

I am sorry to hear that, poor baby. :)

I agree it sucks. A little baby, all of 2 mths old, sitting in a pound cell, sick and suffering. He finally gets a chance to find a loving home, than this. :) Thank God I went today, tommorow would of most likely been too late.

I didnt really get a chance to spend time with him. :laugh: I had the kids and I was in a mad rush to get him to the Vet.

I remember when we did get there, I had to run out to the car for something and he followed. Poor little boy. A tiny skeleton on legs. I picked him up and cuddled him close, the next thing I knew he was being tested for parvo, then whisked away to be admitted/treated. It all happened so fast.

The Vet knows I am coming back this afternoon (when OH gets in) to spend some time with him. It might make him stronger and give him a reason to live..... if he knows someone loves him. :D