Luki - Parvo Survivor

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OT: I saw a white shepherd for the first time in the flesh today while I was out walking the dogs. Unrestrained in the back of a ute :rofl::o . Gone too quickly for me to get number plate.

ETA: That said, I think Mya is a Husky cross, but looking at her pic made me think of the dog I saw

Edited by Mother Moocher

• 2 weeks later...

Luki is going great. He is no longer little Luki anymore. :dancingelephant:

He is growing so big, so fast. He has gained weight well and is a gorgeous little boy. He has such a lovely nature.

He spends a great deal of time with Skye and Storm and is great friends with them. He also spends a fair deal of time with my old girl Gypsy who is teaching him right from wrong and loving every minute playing with him.

Jack loves him too. But he loves all dogs. :birthday: On Sunday morning when he got up he says to me "Mummy we going to the pound today?" He went on and on about it. Later in the day when I came home from the shops he looks all dissapointed as I come in the door without a dog. He says to me "Mummy wheres' new puppy?".

Its been a while since weve had any new arrivals due to the fact there are still so many waiting for homes here. I explained to him, Mummy has to find these ones homes first. I am not sure if he understood 100% but he was ok after that and didnt mention the pound again, until the afternoon when he pestered again. :cheer: Funny little bugger.

Luki on arrival - a sick little bag of bones :rock:

4574463786_6dc0ce17b8.jpg

And the new and improved Luki - taken tonight, its incredible the difference a few weeks can make

4574463800_01943160ea.jpg

4574463804_37a3efb0dc.jpg

Take note of the size difference between him Skye & Storm now :whee:

I guess its good as he will be small dog friendly when he grows up :D

4574463806_b054048569.jpg

4574463790_94114679ee.jpg

"Catch me if you can" Skye and Storm bolt off waiting to be chased :party:

What a sad little guy Luki was when you first got him and look at him now! So healthy and happy! Great job :laugh:

Love your old girl Gypsy. She's beautiful. Amazing that you helped her to recover from such a serious injury!

What a sad little guy Luki was when you first got him and look at him now! So healthy and happy! Great job :thumbsup:

Love your old girl Gypsy. She's beautiful. Amazing that you helped her to recover from such a serious injury!

I could never give up on my old girl. I remember the vet saying (at the time) that if she didnt begin to use her legs herself she could have an op that was going to cost in excess of $6,000. I didnt have that kind of money laying around but I was willing and prepared to take a loan if I had to. It was a very risky op though, and there was a chance more damage than good could of been done. Thankfully it didnt come to that. I have to take extra special care of her though. I have to trim the hair of her paws so she gets better grip with her paw pads and doesnt slip. When it rains I walk her down the downs and back inside, the steps are tiled as is the kitchen. In September last year, 7 mths after the inital injury, she came bolting in through the back door, and slipped. She was paralysed for a minute or so and then recovered. My heart stopped and I was so worried that she wouldnt walk again. Then the other day she was mucking around with the dogs out the back. I always have to yell to her to "Settle down Gypsy" so she doesnt over do it, but the other day she took it a little far thinking she was a puppy and when I went to bring her in, she was dragging her back right paw. :rofl: Again my heart stopped. I yelled to the OH to open the door and I carried her inside to the loungeroom.

Throughout the night she would occassionally drag her paw, but by morning she was fine again.

Poor old bugger has to have supervised playtime. But it's for her own good in the long run. I cherish everyday I get with her after she had that accident. When I first found her paralysed I thought "this is it". I expected to have to give her her wings. But after the vet did the xray and told me the prognosis, which was basically a game of wait and see, I knew there was hope. As slight as it was I hung on to it and never gave up. And Thank Dog I didnt. :D Atm she is staring at me smiling on the lounge, as if she knows I am typing about her. :cool:

• 1 month later...

Update on Luki and pics as requested puppysniffer :)

Well Luki is amost 6 months old now.

He has grown into a lovely boy. He is going through the lanky stage as I call it. Tall and lanky. :laugh:

But he is filling out as he matures. He is a sweet boy. Very playful and happy. He eats like a horse, but thats understandable for a growing boy. He is fed twice a day, fresh chicken, meat bones and also a little dry food, when he wants it.

He walks well on a lead, and knows sit and shake, well most of the time he'll shake - the bugger. He has been introduced to all but 2 of my dogs and gets along fine with all.

He loves his toys and loves to play fetch. He is a well adjusted and lovely natured boy.

Here are some pics I took tonight.

4713413035_f44bed5026.jpg

Luki and Gypsy

4713413037_26b6e28ece.jpg

He is much bigger now...

4713413043_b2390f5e49.jpg

On the bed :p

4713413039_9bfa6371b7.jpg

He still has his big roo ears to grow into :rofl:

4713413049_3e210e3bc4.jpg

I love this one as Luki waits patiently for a bicky off Bailey

4714078896_8b516087d8.jpg

And ofcoarse Jack & Luki

Just read all this from start to finish...hate to sound all mushy but I swear reading that was like feeding my soul a little bit...I'm going to bed happy tonight in knowledge that there is a Luki and K9angel.

It's nice knowing the world is a better place... Good on you k9angel :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pics taken today/tonight to give an idea how big Luki's getting. :mad:cry:

4757517618_6490c549ea.jpg

Taken tonight. Note the size of him now next to Jack. And note the size of Baileys jumper. :( It doesnt fit Jack anymore and Jack insisted his younger brother Bailey wear it tonight. :) Oh and look where Gypsy is sitting! on the baby lounge - the bugger....

4757517612_58b2499d2a.jpg

For the past few weeks I have been introducing Luki to my resident pack. So far so good, though I couldnt get them all in the one shot together. I managed 3 includ. Luki. :rofl:

He spends much of his days now running about in the back yard. It was so funny the other day. The neighbours have 2 GSHP dogs. One in particular likes to stick his head over the fence (he reminds me of a nosey old man with no shame) as she stares into the backyard. :o He is soooo cute. Anyways when Luki caught sight of this hairy steaky beak he ran 100 mile an hour tail between the legs. I wish I had the camera. I think Luki's part greyhound. :o

He isn't scared now and is quiet intrigued by this big black head staring over the fence. He lets me know when he wants to come back inside by tapping on the back door. He doesnt stay in for long, he prefers to be out with the big boyz and galz. But come night time I bring him in. He sleeps on the bed with us. :mad

ETA spelling

Edited by k9angel