Luki - Parvo Survivor

4442838208_56627d23af.jpg

Taken yesterday - getting some sun in a small patch that was shining through the window

4442838218_25884f63d1.jpg

Taken early this morning, eating a bit of dried chicken sausage

4442838222_7fbca765d8.jpg

Such big paws and ears to grow in to...... :mad

4442838224_26c58149ee.jpg

This is a cute one - who could resist that little face?

4442103327_b3f47c077c.jpg

He also has long legs to grow in to :):mad

4442103323_d2999476ef.jpg

Playing fetch

more to come

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is gorgeous, pleased he's come home. Has the vet put him on a special diet?

No. No mention was made of a special diet. I am feeding him chicken and rice and the odd treat here and there.

The Vet did recommend feeding him several smaller meals a day, as opposed to less, bigger feeds. Just until his belly can cope. I expected that anyways, with him being so thin.

I also have another parvo survivor, who is 6 now. (she was about 12 wks when she got it :flame: ) She was treated through a different Vet and same story, no mention of a special diet. She has gone on to live a normal, happy life and is gorgeous. She is a husky also.

It is a fact that they need a special diet, Doggie Rescue has had loads of dogs with parvo over the years and Monika herself told me they have to be on a special diet if they make it out of the vets. I just Googled and found the following:

Home Care after Recovery

( ) Provide a clean, quiet environment and enforced rest during the recovery period. Do not encourage active play.

( ) Keep your pet isolated from other dogs for at least _____ weeks.

( ) Give all of the medication as directed. Notify the doctor if you are unable to do so.

( ) A bland diet is necessary when your pet is re-introduced to solid food. Feed the following ________ food in small amounts spaced out 4-6 times throughout the day.

( ) You can resume feeding the normal diet in _____ days. On the first day mix ½ normal food with ½ _________ food.

( ) Recheck in ________ days.

Sounds like the chicken and rice is a good idea and several times a day but I'd check with the vet before trying anything else. The bit about keeping the pet isolated may be important, crate rest is probably the best.

Edited by dogmad

Chicken and rice is very bland. Hills I/D cans are often recommended and that's just chicken and rice.

Yep, feed little and often. Bear in mind there is a risk that he is still going to shed parvovirus in his poo. :flame: They can do that for up to 3 weeks after infection.

I have been following this thread and am so glad to hear that little Luki is doing much better. Fingers crossed now that he will soon find himself in a fantastic forever home where he will be loved and spoilt :flame:

Whoever dumped him at the pound, and I'm guessing it was his 'breeder' should be strung up. Any idea K9angel where he came from and what breed he is? Maybe some Sibe in there but what else do you think? He's certainly a cute little fella :mad

It is a fact that they need a special diet, Doggie Rescue has had loads of dogs with parvo over the years and Monika herself told me they have to be on a special diet if they make it out of the vets. I just Googled and found the following:

Home Care after Recovery

( ) Provide a clean, quiet environment and enforced rest during the recovery period. Do not encourage active play.

( ) Keep your pet isolated from other dogs for at least _____ weeks.

( ) Give all of the medication as directed. Notify the doctor if you are unable to do so.

( ) A bland diet is necessary when your pet is re-introduced to solid food. Feed the following ________ food in small amounts spaced out 4-6 times throughout the day.

( ) You can resume feeding the normal diet in _____ days. On the first day mix ½ normal food with ½ _________ food.

( ) Recheck in ________ days.

Sounds like the chicken and rice is a good idea and several times a day but I'd check with the vet before trying anything else. The bit about keeping the pet isolated may be important, crate rest is probably the best.

Yes he is crated the majority of the time. :mad He will not dirty in there though and whines when he wants to come out and do a wee or poo or both, and also to get some attention. :flame:

I have been bleaching very carefully after his poo's. He only does 1 a day, early morning.

I also bleach his crate regulary (2 to 3 times daily) even though he hasnt messed in there. Because I have so many other dogs here, I have to be extra careful, and also careful I dont walk it out onto the street for some other poor dog to get.

I wouldnt wish parvo on any dog. :mad

I'M BAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK and can now say how happy I am that Luki has pulled through and how lucky he is that he caught the eye of K9A. :dunce::(:)

I just wish we could know how his kennel mates have fared :(.

Welcome back!!! :):)

As far as I know the little staffy he was kennelled with is fine. She has gone off for desexing. She was given a parvac shot upon being impounded.

The other little husky, the blk and white one, I am not sure of. They did have my number incase they could not afford treatment, as Husky Rescue were going to take over. I hope he/she made it through ok.

Little Luki is going great. He is such a sweet little boy. :)

He has settled in fine. I notice at night when we all go to bed, he has a little howl, but not for long and soon settles to sleep. He just wants to be close, thats all - and not miss out on anything! :mad

He is still eating chicken & rice but I started to add a little VIP roll to his lunch today. He enjoyed it.

I held him up at the back window yesterday for my lot to see. You should of seen the faces of excitement. :mad

Lukis tail was wagging as I held him and he looked out the back at all the other huskies. It was cute.

Luki enjoys to play. The other night, him and Bailey (my Son) were having a game of football. It was adorable to watch. They had this foam footy and Bailey was picking it up and tossing it for Luki to fetch. As soon as it hit the ground both would take off, Luki running and Bailey crawling as fast as he possibly could, racing to beat eachother to the footy. When Luki would get it, Bailey would chase him down until he got it back and toss it, so the chase would start again. I dont think I have ever heard Bailey giggle so much. :mad I did get some pics I will upload later.

Jack babies him to no end. I dont think I have heard a dog get as many "Awwww's" and cuddles as this pup gets, oh apart from his own dog, Jasmine. :)

Well it has been almost 2 weeks already since Luki came home from the vet. :rofl: Gee time flies these days....

He is doing great. He is asleep on the tiles atm, here in the kitchen, spread out like a starfish :laugh: He likes to stay close to me. :rofl:

He just had a game with Jack. It was so funny, they rolled about in Jacks little tent. I got some pics. Will add shortly.

Luki is a sweet little boy. He has a gorgeous personality. Very gentle, but like your typical pup, PLAYful :( But he loves his cuddle time too, and often mistakes himself as a lap dog as he plomps his backside on your lap. :p

He is gaining weight nicely, and is starting to look like a healthy little pup. Oh and he loves being babied.

He has this habit of carrying his squeaky toy about crying like a baby. I have another husky who does exactly the same thing. :o His main diet is still chicken and rice and he gets a meaty bone to keep him going between meals.

He loves to hide things too, the little bugger. Namely his bones!!!! :rofl:

4464381058_600d02a165.jpg

This was taken the other day as Bailey had a game of football with Luki

4464381068_dd1b431270.jpg

From the loungeroom to the bathroom, they had a good 'ol time

More to pics to come just waiting for Flickr to upload

Edited by k9angel

4464381072_a933afb5ec.jpg

Taken today. He is watching Jack intently in this shot, waiting to pounce...

4464381080_dd93115d8b.jpg

Up to no good :laugh: (he'd been chewing the tent)

4464381090_3515ed697d.jpg

Both up to mischief here :( pups just looove to chew dont they? :p

4464381070_f6ed9df374.jpg

I can hear you but can't see you, thinks Luki as he hears Jack inside the tent

couple more to come

4463626059_a534d0fb82.jpg

Taken today - as you can see he is filling out nicely

4463626077_315311d7d7.jpg

This one taken a few days ago. Luki gets used of living with other pets. (guinea -pigs and birds) I should note though this is the tame lorrie that flew in a couple mths back. This bird actually plays with Luki (and the other dogs) through the cage wire. :(:laugh:

Edited by k9angel