Mast Cell Cancer

feistylady

Hi, just wanted to come in on this topic as Z has been diagnosed with a MCT, Grade 2, surgically removed but incomplete deep margin. Low mitotic index however, so hoping it may not be too aggressive?? Just got the result of the biopsy today, so just trying to take this all in and do some reading up. I do work for the vet who operated, so can get good information on options going forward, but would be interested to know if any of you have had experience with low or high mitotic indexes.

I have started her on a lowcarb diet. The tumour was removed from her thigh, wound being 13 cm long, a big chunk of leg for a greyhound :thumbsup:

ETA Sending you best wishes feistylady....

Edited by zola's mum

I cry for you. It's hard. I haven't done this one with a dog, but my Mum had a similar rather hopeless diagnosis. Thankfully her brain stayed clear. She wanted the pain meds kept on, but no heroic measures. Sometimes the old are ready for death. Sometimes all we can do is keep the cruelty of pain at bay.

• 2 months later...
Hi, just wanted to come in on this topic as Z has been diagnosed with a MCT, Grade 2, surgically removed but incomplete deep margin. Low mitotic index however, so hoping it may not be too aggressive?? Just got the result of the biopsy today, so just trying to take this all in and do some reading up. I do work for the vet who operated, so can get good information on options going forward, but would be interested to know if any of you have had experience with low or high mitotic indexes.

I have started her on a lowcarb diet. The tumour was removed from her thigh, wound being 13 cm long, a big chunk of leg for a greyhound :D

ETA Sending you best wishes feistylady....

Sounds almost exactly like Ollie's dxd going on 5 years in October/November this year... He was originally given 12-18 months and he is still here, still well and still has MCT... Ollie's main wound was about the same (on a stafford) and they went in a second time to try for clear margins but were not successful plus they did a lymph node biopsy which showed up active mast cells... Check out his thread here if you get some time and also the Rotty thread as it has some really great advice.

Good luck