My 15 Year Old Toy Poodle Had A Seizure This Morning & Is At The E

Pepi

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie on here and wanted to find some comfort with the situation i am in with people who will know and understand.

My 15 year old toy poodle named Pepi has been diagnosed with heart failure about 2 years ago and has been taking medication for it and smooth sailing. He is on Fortekor, Frusimide & Aminyllin. 1/2 tablet of each twice daily.

About 2 weeks ago he had a seizure, we rushed him to the vet but he was back to normal by the time we got there.

This mornnig about 11am he had another seizure but this time by the time we got there - some 10 mins later he kept going. The vets gave him 3 lots of valium in 10 minute intervals and he was still seizuring and then they gave him another drug called Phenobarbitone.They were able to control the seizuring but it took them a fair amount of time - at least an hour.

The vet said he had enough drugs to put a 20kg dog under anaesthetic and he is only about 5kg.

The vets were shutting and they said he needed constant monitoring and we were sent to the emergency vet.

The emergency vet wasnt optimistic and said she had never seen an animal survive and come out alive from something like this.

His temperature was dropping rapidly and they've got him on a heat pad and some fluids.

She said there was only 5% of survivial.

I dont know what to do. I am trying not to keep false hope but something tells me he is going to pull through. I am just waiting now to see what happens from here. I am so upset and distraught.

When partner picked him to take him to emergency, i was a mess and couldnt hold him and he called out to our little boy and he half opened an eye and the emergency vet said she couldnt see how that was possible as he isnt responding.

It has been 5 hours and 15 minutes since the seizure and almost 3 hours since he was at the emergency vet. I havent heard from them, they said if something was to happen they would call me. I guess no news is some what good news.

I am scared to ring them to check.

I am a complete mess, i feel so weak and like i want to throw up. I cant stop crying and i am stressed to the max.

If anyone has been through this before, please share your experience.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any advice but just wanted to send you my best wishes. It is awful when our gorgeous pets are sick. I hope the emergency vets can stabilise him and he pulls through. He sounds like a tough little cookie.

I don't have any advice but just wanted to send you my best wishes. It is awful when our gorgeous pets are sick. I hope the emergency vets can stabilise him and he pulls through. He sounds like a tough little cookie.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I hope there's an improvement as well. He is a tough cookie and has pulled through so many things so many times, so i am counting on him to do it this time as well despite what the vets have said.

I feel unsure about having him at the emergency vet, not sure he is getting the best treatment there, there are some other emergency vets open but i am scared to move him in case something happens on the way there.

Pepi, I'm so sorry that you are going through such a tough time. I hope your little man pulls through - from what you've said, he definitely sounds like a tough little survivor.

At 15, of course their bodies are wearing out and they do not bounce back as well as they could (or should) when they are younger. He is a fantastic age, and I do hope that he can make it through and continue on for a few more wonderful years. Did any of the vets say that the seizing would become worse or that this was expected?

We will send all the very best healing vibes and thoughts to Pepi, and sending hugs your way.

Let us know how he goes, until then we will keep praying for a good result.

Come on Pepi, you can do it!

Just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and your Pepi,

He is in the right place and the emergency vets will be looking after him, and giving him the best care that they can.

15 is a great age. :thumbsup: he pulls through

:bottom:

Pepi, I'm so sorry that you are going through such a tough time. I hope your little man pulls through - from what you've said, he definitely sounds like a tough little survivor.

At 15, of course their bodies are wearing out and they do not bounce back as well as they could (or should) when they are younger. He is a fantastic age, and I do hope that he can make it through and continue on for a few more wonderful years. Did any of the vets say that the seizing would become worse or that this was expected?

We will send all the very best healing vibes and thoughts to Pepi, and sending hugs your way.

Let us know how he goes, until then we will keep praying for a good result.

Come on Pepi, you can do it!

Thanks Kelly_Louise for your kind words. He is a very young acting 15 year old lol. We were at the park not so long ago and he was tearing around like he usually does and this lady approached me and we started talking as she had the exact same breed and colour dog. She began to tell me hers was an "old" dog and i said mine was to and she said not as old as mine and i said "how old is yours?" and she said 14 and i said "Well mine beat yours by a year" and she couldnt believe it lol so he is doing very well for his age. Just hope his body can with stand this ordeal.

When the first seizure happened 2 weeks ago the vets automatically thought it had happened as a result of his heart condition and not getting enough oxygen to the brain. They told me to sit, wait and monitor to see if it would happen again as they said they werent sure. And this morning was the 2nd time it happened. But this was one a major one, last time it happened he was fine when we got him to the vets and they monitored him for the day and then sent him home.

Just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and your Pepi,

He is in the right place and the emergency vets will be looking after him, and giving him the best care that they can.

15 is a great age. :thumbsup: he pulls through

:bottom:

Thanks so much, what a lovely place this is, i am so glad i found it and joined up. SO much love and support from the members, its truely amazing.

My 13 year old (the end pic of the sig) is not well at the moment and I have basically had her almost as long as I can remember (got her at 7). She has a respiratory infection but seems to be coming through.

In 2008 we lost our BC x Jack at 5 years old and in his prime in a tragic accident. I was the one who had to make the decision to pull life support after we were told the slim chance of survival would mean loss of mobility as he had spinal injuries.

I was only 17 at the time and I was shocked, traumatised and VERY upset. I would just cry for months afterwards for no reason and when I think of carrying his limp body out of the vets it still makes me cry. My mum can't even look at border collies. But you do find it in you to overcome the tradegy.

However when my 13 year old goes I will be sad but not devestated, she has had a long and good life. She has been treated like a queen and shown love. She has been allowed to age gracefully and she will be taken for natural reasons. I will make the decision again when I have too because the greatest responsibility we have as owners is knowing when to let our dogs make a dignified exit.

But I wish Pepe to get will and give you more good days!

Edited by valleyCBR

My 13 year old (the end pic of the sig) is not well at the moment and I have basically had her almost as long as I can remember (got her at 7). She has a respiratory infection but seems to be coming through.

In 2008 we lost our BC x Jack at 5 years old and in his prime in a tragic accident. I was the one who had to make the decision to pull life support after we were told the slim chance of survival would mean loss of mobility as he had spinal injuries.

I was only 17 at the time and I was shocked, traumatised and VERY upset. I would just cry for months afterwards for no reason and when I think of carrying his limp body out of the vets it still makes me cry. My mum can't even look at border collies. But you do find it in you to overcome the tradegy.

However when my 13 year old goes I will be sad but not devestated, she has had a long and good life. She has been treated like a queen and shown love. She has been allowed to age gracefully and she will be taken for natural reasons. I will make the decision again when I have too because the greatest responsibility we have as owners is knowing when to let our dogs make a dignified exit.

But I wish Pepe to get will and give you more good days!

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad to hear yours is coming through ok. Respiratory infections can be nasty things.

Hello Pepi

I know exactly how you are feeling. I lost my 16 year old GSD boy to seizures in January. He managed to survive the first two but unfortunately the 3rd one took his life.

I cannot offer any advice as to what you "should" do, but the only thing I can offer is support during this time.

I agree with Kelly Louise, at 15 they are very old and the body starts to fail. Seizures are usually caused from problems stemming from the brain and seizures in old dogs can really knock them about.

My thoughts are with your boy.

Hello Pepi

I know exactly how you are feeling. I lost my 16 year old GSD boy to seizures in January. He managed to survive the first two but unfortunately the 3rd one took his life.

I cannot offer any advice as to what you "should" do, but the only thing I can offer is support during this time.

I agree with Kelly Louise, at 15 they are very old and the body starts to fail. Seizures are usually caused from problems stemming from the brain and seizures in old dogs can really knock them about.

My thoughts are with your boy.

Kelpie, so sorry to hear about losing your boy. ((hugs)).

Did your boy have a heart condition?

Just sending thoughts to you.

It's hard when they get old ... one wonders if 'this' is their time to go over the bridge....

Whatever happens, he is now comfortable and being cared for....

:thumbsup:

Thankyou. And it is so true when they age you often wonder when it will be the end.

I hope he is doing ok, i am just to scared to call the vet to ask.

I forgot to add after he had the last seizure 2 weeks ago the vets took him off the Aminyllin and put him onto a drug called Vetmedin. He had a bad reaction to this one and kept on throwing him up. They took him off it for a few days and then tried again and same thing, so they now took him off completely and put him back on the Aminyllin.

Hi pepi ,welcome to DOl ,sorry it is under a stressful

situation ,but u will find plenty of love & suport here .

Watching a dog have a seizure is prety horrific ,I know ,I lost my darling heart boy @ only 18mnths of age.(My sigy)

Pepi has had a wonderful life no doubt & you must find the courage to face the outcome ,somehow one does ,I gave my boy his wings out of dedication & love . Healing vibes & hugs to you all .

Hi pepi ,welcome to DOl ,sorry it is under a stressful

situation ,but u will find plenty of love & suport here .

Watching a dog have a seizure is prety horrific ,I know ,I lost my darling heart boy @ only 18mnths of age.(My sigy)

Pepi has had a wonderful life no doubt & you must find the courage to face the outcome ,somehow one does ,I gave my boy his wings out of dedication & love . Healing vibes & hugs to you all .

Thankyou. I am sorry to hear of your loss. Seizures are terrible and horrifying things. Especially the first time when you have no idea whats going on.

Seizures are terrible and horrifying things. Especially the first time when you have no idea whats going on.

Yes they are, Pepi. I think no matter how much you read of them, no matter how much someone tells you of them, you still undergo that awful panic adrenaline rush which is made all the worse for the fact that there is really nothing you can do, save for making sure they can't hurt themselves on nearby objects. It is such a helpless feeling, and the seizures can be so violent.

My avatar girl had some Grand Mal seizures - I remember the first one well. After the violent episode had diminished I was straight on the phone to the Vet. I don't know what I was expecting, but I think I was a bit surprised at how calm and matter of fact the Vet Nurse and Vet were. I don't know what I felt - "heroic" wasn't quite the word, but I did feel as though I'd been through some wonderous yet devistatingly frightening and horrible thing, yet others were taking it all in their stride. When my girl had another couple of Grand Mals, they were still horrible to watch through; still that helpless feeling - but even I was more matter of fact about it now that I understood what was going on, what to expect and what to do.

I hope your dog recovers and that a management plan can help to sort it out and keep your dog stable.

Hi Pepi

I am so sorry to hear that you and your boy are going through all this.

We lost our family GSD at age 10 last year on mothers day, to seizures so I know how scary and stressful it is for everyone involved. We were all devastated, particularly my mum, as she was her mothers day present 10 years earlier, however we made our decision to let Kasey go because we loved her so much.

All I can do for you is pray that Pepi pulls through unscathed. You no doubt will be faced with some difficult decisions ahead either way and I know you will make the best decision out of love and respect for your boy.

He knows how much you love him.

Sending you :grouphug: and healing vibes for Pepi.