My 15 Year Old Toy Poodle Had A Seizure This Morning & Is At The E

Pepi

Thankyou everyone for your continued support and well wishes. It was a long morning, sorry for the delayed update, i only just got home from the vets. There was an hour delay in picking my boy up (there was a line up of other people picking up their beloved pets) and then the drive in traffic over took us an hour and a half and then the drive back.

The vets are keeping him in over night and doing a blood test as i was typing this the vet just called and said he has kidney failure, so i dont know what this means now, he said he was going to call our regular vet and ask for his file and we can go from there however its limited what we can do for him because of the kideny failure.

I dont know anything about kidney failure, what to expect or what this means now.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o from me too. It's tough when we are just trying to get our dogs over one thing, to then know that 'one' thing has impacted to cause another. I have no answers for you Pepi - I wish I did. So :rofl: is all I can think of to send you at the moment, along with my good wishes for strength for you both.

Thankyou. I am quite devestated at the moment so excuse me if i am not very talkative today. Just waiting on a call back from the vet to see where to from here.

I hope i can have a little more time with him - a few months would be nice.

:hugs:

His body is getting tired... poor old boy.

:o poor baby.

I agree... sounds like he is putting up a good fight, but it's well and truly taking it's toll.

I do hope you get some hopeful news - however it may be time to think about how much you want to put him through, and how much he has to fight. I say that with a heavy heart, and only because sometimes we want so badly for there to be some good news and are so emotionally distraught that we forget what we are asking of them... and I hope that someone will gently remind me of this should my own old girls health worsen... I know what it's like to never want to let go.

I pray nothing more than that you get what you wish for... at the very least a few more good months with your beloved boy, and that he can remain comfortable.

My thoughts are with you at this very hard time.

Pepi sounds like a real fighter. What an amazing boy.

Thinking positive thoughts for you and Pepi today.

Take care of yourself. Pepi knows how much you love him.

Pepi, kidney failure usually means that a dog doesn't have long to live. I think you'd better prepare yourself to say goodbye.

I suggest you have a good talk to the vet about Pepi's prognosis and whether it is time to give him his wings.

The kindest thing we can do for a dog we love is to ease their path out of this world when their time has come. I think Pepi's may be close. :o

Thanks everyone, going to talk to the vet when he calls back and see what he recommends and what to do from here.

I want him to be stable and comfortable. If that is at all possible.

Thanks everyone, going to talk to the vet when he calls back and see what he recommends and what to do from here.

I want him to be stable and comfortable. If that is at all possible.

I agree - one step at a time, Pepi. :o

I think the waiting is the hardest part. Since Saturday lunch time, when the seizure first happened to now feels like a life time.

It was so good to see him this morning, he wasnt as alert as he usually is but he recognised me and i gave him lots of hugs and kisses on the way over to the vet, sat in the back seat with him as partner drove us there.

The new vet was so nice (we've never been there before) i didnt want to carry him inside in case i hurt him, so my partner went in and the vet came out personally and carried him in, he stopped what he was doing and was all focused on my boy. So gentle and sweet he was with him, patting him and taking good care of him. A lot more than i can say for the other vets, i remember one of them telling me they can easily man handle him as he is so small and they use considerable force :o

Yes... waiting IS the hardest part. Especially when we are clinging to a little bit of hope.

I'm glad that he is with a vet you feel comfortable with, and I do hope they are able to guide you in the kindest way. Sounds like whatever happens with Pepi, he is being looked after well and getting lots of love along the way :o

The best thing i ever did was change vets and now i feel very comfortable that my boy is getting the best care possible.

I am so glad this vet actually rings me, the others i went to had their nurses call me and then made me come in for a consult before they'd talk to me.

My Vet called back and said that he thinks trying to manage pepi's kidney failure is a step and he is going to do so with fluid therapy, this is done through IV so he urinates more. He is also eating today and drinking and sitting upright. He will need to be in hospital with him for a few days and ive been told to call back about 6pm for further results. He is also going to start him on medication for his kidneys as well and he cant determine the outcome until he sees how my boy reponds to treatment.

Fingers crossed and a game of waiting again.

I'm glad that you have had some positive news, and that Pepi is showing signs of improvement. Take it one step at a time, it's all you can do.

Just keep in mind the massive fight that Pepi is putting up, and consider when enough is enough for your boy. That is something that only you will know...

I hope that the meds can make Pepi feel better and more comfortable. What a miracle it would be for him to get through this when the odds were stacked against him.

Bless the tough old boy.

I openly asked the vet what he thought was best for him and he said he deserved a chance at life, he said "let's give him the best possible chance of beating the odds" and i said i would leave it all up to him with what to do.

I feel at ease now i have a vet that genuinely loves animals and understands my love for my boy as well as knowing what to do. Ive never given a vet complete control over Pepi to do as they please, ive never trusted them, there was always something about them that irritated me, their coldness and arrogance towards animals. This one is a god send. An absolute angel and despite the 1.5 hour drive from where i am to where he is, i will be keeping him as our vet from now on.

What else i love about this vet is i asked him if i could visit pepi tomorrow and he said "of course you can, anytime" i was in tears when he said this as the other vets had a 'no visitor' policy.

I am at ease and comfortable now.

Glad you are feeling more comfortable with the care he's getting. :rofl:

With the previous vet's "no visitor' policy .. while it may seem callous to you- ,remember your dog had massive seizures, and has a heart condition. Perhaps they thought any excitement may well have triggered another episode, which may have been disastrous :o

I think they were right .

Now, he is stronger and not seizing, so your visit may well help.