What Breed Is This

Red Fox

My Oma sent me some very old family photos a few years back. I can't find the letter that went with it but this pic would have been taken in either Germany or Holland in the early 1900's (or possibly late 1800's). Does anyone know what breed the dog in the pic is? I thought maybe a German Shepherd but after doing a Google search I'm not so sure... or if the pic was taken in Holland maybe it is a Dutch Shepherd?

Edited by SecretKei

lol, I thought Kelpie too.... then saw where... and when.... and it's a bit tall

Why not GSD or perhaps GSDX? which was my second immediate thought.... I mean the breed has had a somewhat varied look throughout time :grouphug:

Don't mind me I'm not the expert :cry: hope you get a conclusive answer :cry:

If you look closely the dog seems to have a brindle colouring, which to me would say Dutch Shepherd :)

If not a Dutchie, then most probably a cross-breed of some description, as to the best of my knowledge Germans don't come in brindle!

The dog is not brindle in the photo. Amazing how we cannot recognise what an original GSD looks like. My grandfather had one like that, black and tan, in Jugoslavia.

THe first Schutzhund trials for the new GSD started around the time of that photo. Having a purebreed dog in europe is a treasure and mostly it would have been purebreed.

eg

Roland

1120.jpg

born 1903

2051.jpg

Rolands maternal GrandSire

1208.jpg

V Horand von Grafrath

"Horand embodied for the enthusiasts of that time the fulfillment of their fondest dreams. He was big for that period, between 24" and 24 1/2", even for the present day a good medium size, with powerful frame, beautiful lines, and a nobly formed head. Clean and sinewy in build, the entire dog was one live wire. His character was on a par with his exterior qualities; marvelous in his obedient fidelity to his master, and above all else, the straightforward nature of a gentleman with a boundless zest for living. Although untrained in puppy hood, nevertheless obedient to the slightest nod when at this master's side; but when left to himself, the maddest rascal, the wildest ruffian and incorrigible provoker of strife. Never idle, always on the go; well disposed to harmless people, but no cringer, mad about children and always in love. What could not have been the accomplishments of such a dog if we, at that time, had only had military or police service training? His faults were the failings of his upbringing, never of his stock. He suffered from a superfluity of unemployed energy, for he was in Heaven when someone was occupied with him and was then the most tractable of dog." ~Captain von Stephanitz Originator of the breed

The breed today looks like nothing Max von Stephanitz created. By the photo and text you can see what angles he had in mind when he created the breed too. THese days liberal interpretations have created a dog that is totally unrecognisable.

eta for those who say it looks like a kelpie ... actually it looks nothing like. THe legs, face, muzzle, ear set etc. It's a GSD.

Edited by Nekhbet

My Parents bred GSD's for a long time, both overseas and here. We brought a few dogs in from Germany. And my Dad used to have lots of books that i used to look t as as child......Many of those old GSD's looked like that. Even some of the ones my DAD bred looked a lot like that. he was heartbroken when the conformation changed so much and actually stopped breeding in the mid seventies because of it.

Edited by newfsie

Wow, thanks for all the answers!

I'll do a search for the letter this week. I remember that my Oma listed who each person was and when and where the photos where taken, most were taken in Holland where she was born but her mother was German so some of the very old pics where taken in Germany (unless I can determine the age of the photo I have no idea where this particular one was taken). She may have even listed the dogs breed as well but I can't remember. If I can find any more info I'll add it in later.

Have to agree though, it is a nice old photo :)

If not a Dutchie, then most probably a cross-breed of some description, as to the best of my knowledge Germans don't come in brindle!

Brindle was a colour GSDs used to come in. The colour hasn't been seen in the breed since the 20s or 30s.

I occasionally hear online of one popping up but everyone assumes they are crossbreds of some type.