"maltese Terrier Named Australia's Top Dog"

piper

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nationa...-1225840892878

• Maltese terrier most popular dog breed
  • Four out of five dogs are small to medium
  • German Shepherd slips to number 10

GERMAN shepherds make way - the maltese terrier is now Australia's most popular pooch.

Petite pooches are the order of the day as people move from the traditional quarter-acre block to flats and units, and pets migrate from the backyard to the living room.

Four in five mutts are now described by their owners as small to medium, according to the latest data.

The Maltese terrier - including Maltese terrier-crosses - is our most popular breed of dog, figures collated by the Petcare Information and Advisory Service show.

The German shepherd, which topped the ranks in the mid-1990s, has slipped to 10th position.

Susie Willis, a consultant with the Petcare Information and Advisory Service, said the number of "oodles", or poodle crosses, was also booming.

"The popularity of smaller dogs is probably due, in part, to the fact that dogs are now spending more time indoors and being treated as members of the family," she said.

TOP DOGS

1. Maltese Terrier

2. Kelpie

3. Border collie

4. Labrador

5. Fox terrier

6. Jack Russell

7. Staffordshire terrier

8. Shitzu

9. Poodle

10. German shepherd

Edited by piper

How can the Maltese Terrier be the most popular dog breed when there is no such thing? :thumbsup::cry:

I'm guessing by Fox Terrier they mean Mini Foxies and crosses because there are hardly any Fox Terriers around?

The link provided point s to Page Not Found.

Last time I looked at registration states, Lab and SBT were about equal for most popular. Most of the Maltese I see in kennels are not pedigree, and many are x breeds, mostly shih tzu x maltese.

I made a comment in reply to the story about how can a breed that does not exist be the most popular breed in the country. or did they perhaps mean the maltese? And given they were also including crosses off would probably be more acucrate to state that the crossbreed is the most common dog in Australia as once crossed it would no longer be a Maltese. Last time I checked they had not published my reply.

How is the Kelpie at no. 2?

They are not the sort of dog for everybody and don't usually do well in a 'back yard' situation!

Very surprising.

That's nonesense I think Kelpie-i, they couldn't possibly be number 2 :laugh: But, the Kelpie name is regulary thrown into the cross breed mix if they are taking that into account. I have seen plenty of supposed Kelpie X's that look nothing like a Kelpie :laugh:

ROFL!!! What a joke!! I have never met a pedigree Maltese despite years of working as a groomer and now in a vet clinic!! LOL!! Every second person claims their hideous white fluffy is a Maltese or Maltese x Shih Tzu. Great piece of writing that is!! ROFL!!

:laugh::):rofl:

Another piece of quality ' journalism ' - dont worry checking those facts , or spelling .....

Scary thing is the general public out there just lap it up .. and there starts more breed confusion ....... :rofl: