Hock Ocd

MrBusy

Morning all,

Our 11mth old Border after having an operation for OCD of his left shoulder in Oct 2009 was diagnosed yesterday via XRays with servere OCD of his right hock. So booked in for operation on Monday, poor little fellow.

We are at a loss as to why this has reared its ugly head again. He is feed a very good quality puppy food, exercise is regulated, no stairs (we have ramped these) no running on hard surfaces, no rough play with other dogs, no jumping- he is lifted in an out of the car.

Oh well as they say S#@t happens.

His shoulder after the surgery and restricting his movements for three months is extremely good but apparently the hock can be a bit more tricky. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with OCD of the hock with their puppies/dogs and what the outcome was.

You have probably been told that the hock is the worst (and least common) place to have ocd and has the most guarded prognosis, the shoulder has the best prognosis. I was told that only 40% of dogs do clinically well after surgery for ocd of the hock

My Lab Henrietta had surgery for hock ocd when she was 6 months old. After she recovered from her surgery, Henrietta was probably good for a month then started to become progressively lame and uncomfortable. She developed very bad arthritis and it got to the stage where I often had to carry her to bed at night, she was always in pain(despite being on painkillers and anti inflamatories) and I wondered about her quality of life. A hock arthrodesis (fusion) was the only way to take away her pain, Henrietta had this procedure about 12 months after her first surgery, its a salvage procedure and required 6 weeks in a cast but now nearly 5 months since her surgery she is like a new dog, so happy and pain free :)

Good luck with your boy, I really hope his surgery goes well!

You have probably been told that the hock is the worst (and least common) place to have ocd and has the most guarded prognosis, the shoulder has the best prognosis. I was told that only 40% of dogs do clinically well after surgery for ocd of the hock

My Lab Henrietta had surgery for hock ocd when she was 6 months old. After she recovered from her surgery, Henrietta was probably good for a month then started to become progressively lame and uncomfortable. She developed very bad arthritis and it got to the stage where I often had to carry her to bed at night, she was always in pain(despite being on painkillers and anti inflamatories) and I wondered about her quality of life. A hock arthrodesis (fusion) was the only way to take away her pain, Henrietta had this procedure about 12 months after her first surgery, its a salvage procedure and required 6 weeks in a cast but now nearly 5 months since her surgery she is like a new dog, so happy and pain free :laugh:

Good luck with your boy, I really hope his surgery goes well!

Oh dear, I felt it would not be good but not that bad. Hopefully our boy will be fine. Thank you very much for your reply its always best to know - good or bad that way you can prepare yourself.