Vada Mct Gr 2

Jesterbelle

Vada is a brindle and white Stafford girl that came to live with me end of August 2008 she was almost 9.5 years at the time as she has just turned 11 on the 1st of March this year. She came with a lump on her left side towards the bottom of her rib cage and I was told it had been there a long long time and not bothered her. When I took her along for her vaccination in October 2009 my vet looked at it and said lumps like that are better removed so we spoke of doing that in the future after all it had been there a long time and didn't seem to be worrying her in anyway. From the time she came to live with me I had noticed this lump fluctuated in size from time to time.

Late November 2009 the lump became quite painful and appeared infected she managed to get hind paw to it and scratched it open, put her on antibiotics and this quickly alleviated her pain and it started to subside. I took her along to my vet and she said we'll remove it tomorrow night so this she did and when dissecting the lump for inspection she felt that maybe she did not have all of it cleanly and explained that she could do further surgery on the site and take more if necessary we would await the pathology report.

Pathology report arrives and I receive a phone call from the vet telling me the diagnosis is" MCT Gr 2 narrow margins, we need to go back and get wide margins, problem with Gr 2 tumours is they can act as Gr 1 or Gr 3 and time and the dog will tell us that."

I can't explain the shock of the diagnosis was really not expecting that, anyway a time was set once again for surgery and I contacted Staffyluv as I had recently read Ollie's thread and was just in awe of his journey. Staffyluv immediately shared her knowledge, her opinions and gave me such inspirational support that leaves me forever in her debt.

I commenced Vada on the anti cancer diet and supplements immediately.

Surgery took place and this time it was extremely radical as vet went for wide margins, pathology report later confirmed she had obtained excellent margins. I questioned myself why I was doing this after this surgery and again Staffyluv gave me such incredible support.

Vada is now almost 3 months post surgery and is looking and feeling great apart from her coat that was extensively shaved for surgery.

Chemo my vet tells me in her case is not necessary at this point we just monitor for any changes.

Keeping her as well as I possibly can has become paramount to allow her to keep this sneaky disease at bay, we will take each day as it comes in the hope that it rolls into weeks and then years so she can enjoy the rest of her life.

J

Hi Jesterbelle and Vada, so glad to see a thread for the girl :confused:

I posted a quick update in Ollie's thread on Vada after I got your message the other day because I could not find her old thread... I think these threads are important because so many people treat their pets as real family members now, as opposed to when I was a kid and the dog lived in the back yard... So we are hearing more and more about the trials people are going through with terminal illness with their beloved pets.

Glad to hear all is well...

Gee I'd of thought i had written this thread myself about my old girl Lara! we've been through the same thing and its just horrible. I also sort Staffyluv's advise some time ago, after reading Ollies story, and so far so good. Glad Vada is doing well......will be thinking of you both

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just a short update on Vada, now just over twelve months since she had her surgery, she continues to be well and happy and to date no reoccurrence of anything nasty. J

Such wonderful news - this just brings tears of joy to hear it...

All the very best to you and Vada

Jodie xx

• 3 weeks later...

Great news on Vada! :eek:

Our old fella, Jack, just turned 11. He had a grade III MCT removed (clear margins) from near his right hip in Oct 2007, I think it was, and still has the all-clear. Sometimes the boofers just manage to beat the odds somehow!