Angry Male Staffy

Dani M

thANKS for all the replies really appreciate it

we are situated in hallam and if i could get some contacts of behaviorlists tat could help us that would be great

i really dont want to get rid of the dogs so money is not an issue

also we have a baby on the way n after wat has been happening we r really worried bout the dogs when the baby comes

I would contact other Mastiff and Bull Breed owners to see how they manage the problem. My experience is many behaviourists don't even own dogs. Talk to people with practical experience.

Most oncologists don't have cancer. What's your point?

Would you be suggesting that someone who doesn't own a problem dog can't help others resolve problems with theirs?

Comparing an Oncologist (20+ years of study and experience) with a Dog Behaviourist (anyone can hang a shingle with that moniker on their door and quite often doesn't even have a dog). Now I really have READ it all! :laugh:

At the moment from what you've described it sounds to me they are play fighting but make no mistake it will escalate.

And this is why the OP needs a behaviourist to visit their property and assess the situation first hand, because otherwise they'll end up with someone telling them over the internet not to worry and that their dogs which are fighting aggressively, are just 'play fighting'.

Hi guys,

It's Dani here & couldnt help but keep a steady eye on this thread while @ work :S

We did have a behaviourist in last weekend & exp the the problems to him. He focussed alot on pack leadership, excercise etc they are walked daily & do 'listen' to us. At the time i felt he was of good value except cleary misjudged the staffy as he told us that he was of near perfect temperment & really didnt have any issues except for his bad habit of jumping when excited.

Since this last incident Stevie & I are just super concerned (even looked into the otion of re-homing). We don't want to give up are dogs but we really don't want our dogs to have a crummy quality of life/hurt each other.

Just wanted to say we really appreciate all of your advice & comments & to keep them coming!!

FYI Tequila (bull terrier) will be fixed in the next week/two & has not had her first season yet, we will also booking in Shaka (staffy). Kaya will be shown in the near future so will not be desexed at this stage or until he is fully developed.

Thanks again!!!

DaniM:

At the time i felt he was of good value except cleary misjudged the staffy as he told us that he was of near perfect temperment & really didnt have any issues except for his bad habit of jumping when excited.

Dog aggression is not necessarily an indication of poor temperament Dani.. especially in a breed of fighting origin. If provoked to fight they will finish and ice that particular cake. That doesn't make them "bad" dogs.

The particular combination of dogs in your home and the fact that one of the dogs has been attacked will be contributors.

Was the person who visited a "behaviorist" or a trainer?

Edited by poodlefan

Dog aggression is not necessarily an indication of poor temperament Dani.. especially in a breed of fighting origin. If provoked to fight they will finish and ice that particular cake. That doesn't make them "bad" dogs.

Agree with this.

Dani and Stevie, it sounds like you guys are really trying hard to resolve the situation in the best possible way for your family, including all the dogs. Good on you! I don't have any advice other than keep listening to all the really good advice you're getting from everyone (well, almost everyone) and bring in a recommended behaviourist.

Best of luck, I'm sure you can get it sorted! :laugh:

DaniM:
At the time i felt he was of good value except cleary misjudged the staffy as he told us that he was of near perfect temperment & really didnt have any issues except for his bad habit of jumping when excited.

The particular combination of dogs in your home and the fact that one of the dogs has been attacked will be contributors.

Was the person who visited a "behaviorist" or a trainer?

Hey PF,

As mention in PM, I did not intend to come across as implying Shaka is a bad dog or he has a poor temperment rather I was implying that I would have preferred the behaviourist to have directed us more about this ie how to control this/what action to take.

We were pretty much advised that providing we showed strong leadership & kept up their excercise etc everything would be fine & no further sessions would me needed. Sorry i should have been more clear.