Sasha's Blend - Does It Really Improve Joint Mobiltity?

Sorry to post here if this isn't relevant but I have searched and haven't found an answer. I'd like to know if it's okay to give my dogs joint guard and Ester C at the same time considering joint guard has Vitamin C in it too?

From what I've read the body rejects any over supply of vitamin C so technically you can't overdose. The Ester C has been working wonders and I'm reluctant to give that up even though I'd like to try the joint guard for the added benefots of MSM and chondroitin etc.

For the record, my little 1 year lab has responded very, very well to her first cartpohen injection and the step change in mobility and attitude on her part has made me a very happy man. It was killing me to see her hobbling around, made worse by the fact she was still a happy dog and never whined about it.

Thanks for any replies in advance,

Steve

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this is still relevant, but we have been using SB for about 4 weeks now and just this week our dog seems a little better. He is 15 months old and was diagnosed with HD about 2 months ago. We tried the cartrophen(sp?) injections and I didn't really notice any difference, but we kept on with them anyway. We were giving fish oil and glucosamine with chondroitin and no improvement. As i said, we started on SB on the advice of our vet about 4 weeks ago, and just this week he seems more spritely and doesn't seem to be having as much difficulty in getting up. But hey, it might just be the weather or something!

It is hard to know what helps. My GSD hurt his knee, had cruciate repair surgery but will always have an "angry" joint. We've tried most things, more than once. And it still seems to be the weather that makes the most difference.

Does any one else find the humidity affects their pet's mobility?

Hi,

Our 10 year old dog just had a leg operation and the vets recommended he go on either Sashas Blend or fish oil. We chose fish oil because it was cheaper and we just put it on his dinner each night. He is doing really well, no problems at all with his joints and he has a nice shiny coat from it too :D

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies. :laugh:

I'm going to take Simba to a Chiropractor (who's highly recommended on DOL) Ian Bidstrup. When I can get an appointment. :thumbsup:

He books up fast as he is so good. And Bowen therapy. I'll let you know how it goes.

XXtoughgirlXX

We had our old GSD on Sasha's Blend (and cartrophen injections for a while). We really weren't sure if the Sasha's Blend was doing anything until we went on holidays for 10 days (with the dog) and forgot to take it with us. Poor boy became very sore and stiff without it.

I've now got two quite large rescue dogs that are 3 and a half years old, but I have them on Sasha's already, purely as protection for their currently healthy joints and to try and keep them that way.

Edited by benny123

We had cartrophen injections for our previous GSD girl, and it certainly helped her, but eventually we put her on Sasha's blend and it worked really well for her, she had a mixture of HDD and arthritis. We also recommended it to a few owners of old GSD who lived locally and they both said they had noticed a difference after being on it for a few weeks.

My cat was attacked in our yard by three GSDs was only out 15mins and I was there ;) at 18yrs old , fractured her hips - she lived to 23 yrs old on monthly cartrophen injections. We knew it made her feel better as she woke up the next morning and swipped the dog (she was the pack leader :D )

Recently my pup hurt his knee and we were given some SB. I thought the food was off it was fine put my nose in the sachet and OMG! I am a nurse whos speaciality is gastroenterology not much has made me bat an eyelid in 10yrs but that had me dry retching :)

We have had Mokha on Joint Guard now for a couple of months, he has also been having Catrophen injections. I can not say which has made the difference but the combination has made a huge improvement for him. He is not limping, can go for much longer walks without coming home sore. I dont dare stop either now because I am so pleased by his improvement.I get my Joint Guard from here it is the best price I have found.link

• 1 month later...

My dog always needs his sacroiliac joint adjusted, and sometimes he limps, so I have decided to try Joint Guard and Sasha's blend after reading this thread. I am hoping to prevent further damage, and if he improves I will be very impressed.

I can't comment on the service just yet, but I found JG much cheaper than the websites mentioned in the thread, so here is where I bought it: Aussie Vet Products

I've tried both the Sasha's blend and joint guard on my old dog Lady, joint guard helped when her arthritis wasn't too bad but for the last 6 months have been getting the Cartrophen injections monthly and its made a huge difference will get sore just before her next injection is due then seems instant once she's had injection she' s a lot happier. (Pentosan) is same as Cartrophen just a different brand name.

From what I've seen in the clinic.. Cartrophen (Pentosan) is your best bet and we just see improvements with it about 80% of the time..... we get a lot of clients who come back and say the powders do nothing.. and some who swear by them - hard too say as we don't tend to see them again like with the cartrophen. Different dogs respond to different things... we have also seen a lot of good results with the hills J/d as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply sas.

I was looking at the human version today and noticed some extra minerals etc compared with the cosequin (sp) I had been using. I was wondering if these were harmful or beneficial to dogs, the shop keeper was unsure.

Edited by harley

My aged Stafford who had spinal arthritis and also has it in his elbows has monthly Cartophen, Glucosimine, Fish Oil, Evening Primrose oil and I am looking into a couple of other things.

He is going really really well on all the additives. You can definately tell when he is due for his cartophen though.

How expensive are cartophen injections? I'm guessing you don't need them all the time in the beginning? Bambi has arthritis in her spine and I am dreading this winter (especially the three weeks I'll be in England :( ). She's on the Vets All Natural joint forumla and also gluco tablets, which is fine over summer, but I've only been through one winter with her so far, and my vet has told me it will get worse as she ages.

Hi Koemi,

I pay around $30.00 for one injection. Simba has to have one every week for 4 weeks.

XXToughgirlXXxx

Wow, I am doing well with my vet - $17.20 per injection. Jessi had her third injection tonight, so far I am not seeing massive improvement but there has definitely been some improvement. THings I have read indicate the biggest improvement is often seen after the third injection.

The vet said to us after the initial course of 1 a week for 4 weeks it is 1 as needed and that can be anywhere from once every 3 to 9 months. With 6 months being average.