Omfg

gillbear

My heart is still racing.

I was engrossed in my computer when my dog Bart started bouncing and leaping around beside me. Bart usually sleeps under my computer chair.

I looked down expecting to see a lizard when I spotted a male funnell web spider not 10cm from my foot. :mad:mad

So now we have captured a new resident for the reptile park and I will be insect bombing the house and yard tomorrow. Sorry spidey's, love you but I cant risk more Funnell Webs.

Thank god Bart wasnt bitten, there will be extra chicken necks for him tonight. :flame:

Edited by gillbear

From a Qld Govt. fact sheet on Funnel Webs....it states that the neurotoxins injected by Funnel Webs affects humans and other primates but has little effect on dogs and cats.

I had heard that before, so just checked to make sure I was correct.

I wouldn't worry so much about the dog Gillbear....but more so for you and any other humans in the house. :rainbowbridge:

Dogs are very resilient to spider bites. Rather spiders then snakes! When we lived many moons ago in the Blue Mountains the place was crawling with them!

When my kids were little and before we had aircond we decided to go up to Blackheath pool for the day to escape the heat. We'd been there a short time when a girl sitting just near us was bitten by a funnel web. :rainbowbridge: She was hysterical - poor girl. Made us a bit edgy while we were there....

Well that makes me feel better that the dogs arent in danger from them. I have lived on the coast for years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard or house.

I think it must have actually crawled onto Bart while he was asleep. :rainbowbridge:

Pretty sure we don't have them in my area thank goodness! I just have a nasty huge slug infestation at my place at the moment. It is rather disgusting, my house is old so they come through the floor boards and out from under the cupboards. So this morning i tipped a heap of salt all over the floor then swept it under the cupboards, yeah gross I know but better than stepping on slugs in the dark :rainbowbridge:

I've never seen a live funnel web before :hug: I'd really like to...

Come down to the Southern Highlands....this place is crawling with them (pardon the pun). It was particularly bad after the heavy rain we had recently, they all got flooded out of the holes and were running everywhere including inside the house (as well as a small tiger snake) :rainbowbridge:

I think I'll write to council and suggest that, in the tradition of the big banana and the big pineapple, we have the big funnel web at the turn off on the Hume Hwy.

Yep, all the rain had driven them out. I live in a funnel web favourite area of Sydney. We have one in the front yard under a place where we know and isn't anywhere guests will go, I've left her alone as only the males roam. I just know where she is, so that's a good thing :rainbowbridge:

Yep, all the rain had driven them out. I live in a funnel web favourite area of Sydney. We have one in the front yard under a place where we know and isn't anywhere guests will go, I've left her alone as only the males roam. I just know where she is, so that's a good thing :cry:

But don't the males go roaming looking for females? :rainbowbridge: That would give me the willies. :hug:

When I was a kid living on the northern beaches, there was a plague of them and it was the early days of them developing the anti-venom. People were dying from the bites.

We would find them in our backyard on a daily basis. I can only imagine how worried my parents would have been. :hug:

So Im with Gillbear- out with the buggers.

I just have a nasty huge slug infestation at my place at the moment. It is rather disgusting, my house is old so they come through the floor boards and out from under the cupboards. So this morning i tipped a heap of salt all over the floor then swept it under the cupboards, yeah gross I know but better than stepping on slugs in the dark :rainbowbridge:

AAAAAAAHHHH! That's my nightmare, I HAAATE slugs :hug::hug::cry:

I got bitten by a funnel web about 3 weeks ago

very scary my arm started with a small red ball ended up like a large tennis ball

with a red line going through it

thats what I was watching its the posion going through your body

I'm now very scared of webs spiders anything that crawls before they didn't really bother me

I dont like bitey spideys either!!! We dont have funnel webs, but we do get mouse spiders - the next best thing :laugh: .......specially the red-headed mouse spider. They just look venomous! They seem to like being alone though and Ive never seen one anywhere near the house, just in the bush. They can stay there!

Rat