Swim Places For Dogs

MrBusy

Hi All,

I would like do some swimming exercises for my pup and would like to know if anyone knows of a safe place which allows dogs to swim. I live in the Maitland area near Newcastle in NSW.

I know about the dog beach in Newcastle but believe it can be a bit full on and that the dogs are not always controlled. The Lake also but dogs can get peligan itch which is not good.

Appreicate any info.

We are about to go on holidays and we were hoping to swim the dogs in the lake, can you explain pelican itch please as I have never heard of it.

Hi there,

Pelican itch is caused by sea lice which normally live in the seaweed around the lake edge. Dogs can be bitten by these lice and it causes a rather nasty rash on their belly and legs. If you swim your dogs in the lake best to wash them down as soon as possible after and try to keep away from any visible weed. I noticed you have a picture of a Rottie so assume your dog(s) are Rotties. As their coat is shorter it will not be as big of a problem but still best to wash them down.

hi guys

dogs are allowed off leash at redhead bch (after the 2nd creek away from the flags) newcastle. it is a great spot as it is a long stretch of bch and u will always find a spot for yourself.

How about trying the beach area at Carrington just over the bridge by the rowing club? It's not the cleanest piece of sand, and little boats launch at one end, but the water is nice and calm and it never seems to be too crowded even at weekends. You can also walk along the path past the beach and all the way up by the river to a big off-leash grassy area too :laugh: