Chemo With Iv Mitoxantrone

Pugmum

Hi,

My little pug had her first Chemo last week Thursday - she is being treated with a combination of the chemo and piroxicam.

I know there are other types of chemo ie tablet form, but has anyone else had the IV type for their dog ?

Sorry for this barrage of questions, but I just cant find the answers when I google.

She was not unwell afterward, just a bit out of sorts the next day. Are the first days after the chemo likely to be the worst ? :rofl:

We have to have a complete blood count done 7 and 14 days after the chemo so they can see the impact on the white cells - I've looked this up but just cant find out if the chemo knocks the cell division straight away and then it recovers and that is what they are looking for - or if it is a gradual process of slowing the division of cells. I'm interested as I want to know when she is at her lowest point immune wise.

Also, the information I was given stated that I should double bag when I clean up after her (on a walk etc), but it also says that the chemicals are only in her system for about 3 days - that they are eliminated in the urine and faeces (hence the double bagging) Do I have to double bag for more than a week if the chemicals are gone in just a few days ? :D

I've read a lot about Piroxicam and I wonder how fast you would see any improvement if it was going to have a positive impact ?

And jut one more - I have anti nausea medication for her, is she likely to need it for the full three weeks between chemo's or just a few days ?

Thanks for your help

Brigitte