PuggaWuggles

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woman's arm severed in dog attack From: AAP March 23, 2010 11:33AM

A WOMAN has suffered serious injuries and is being flown by helicopter to hospital after being mauled by a dog in Victoria's far southwest.

Ambulance officers received a call shortly after 11am (AEDT) on Tuesday that the women, aged in her 50s, had been attacked at her home in Portland.

Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman Gabrielle Degenhardt said the woman was in a serious condition, with a severed right arm, a partially severed left arm and injuries to her face.

"We also have unconfirmed reports that the dog was a pit bull terrier and was her own dog," she said.

A helicopter has been sent to Portland, which is about 400km from Melbourne, and will take her to Melbourne's The Alfred hospital.

As this occurred in Victoria, Hugh Wirth is going to have a field day.

Expect further govt repercussions if it is an APBT.. my guess is there will be photos of the dog at some stage.

Edited by poodlefan

The ABC has a news report which is a little lighter on the dramatics, but still describes a very serious attack.

Woman's arms almost severed in dog attack

Updated 1 hour 41 minutes ago

A woman is in a serious condition after being attacked by her own dog at Portland in western Victoria.

Ambulance officers say both of the woman's arms are badly injured and they described one of them as being 'partially amputated'.

She also has horrific facial injuries.

The woman, in her fifties, was attacked at her home.

Ambulance officers believe the dog is a pit bull, and it has been put down.

The injured woman is being flown to hospital in Melbourne for treatment.

And yes, it would be very interesting to know the circumstances of the attack. What happened to set the dog off?

Regardless, I hope the poor woman recovers well, mentally and physically. Must have been terrifying.

And The Age at 3.08pm gives a slightly different version of the injuries:

"Ambulance crews moved quickly to try to salvage the woman’s right arm, which was partially severed in the mauling.

She also sustained injuries to her left arm and face."

Horrific thing to have happened. I hope that the poor woman's arm can be saved. This attack is unfortunately strong confirmation, as far as the general public is concerned, that pit bulls have no place as pets in the general community. It adds fuel to the [re pit bulls] "one day they'll just turn on you" school of thought. It's even made me think! What sort of dog would carry out a sustained attack like that on its owner? What sort of provocation would it take to cause an attack response like this?

Poor woman :mad

What I can't understand is that surely dogs capable of such horrific attack, the owners would have seen aggressive behaviour surface before the real deal is done???. Surley they know that the particular dog has aggression issues :cry:

Poor woman :mad

What I can't understand is that surely dogs capable of such horrific attack, the owners would have seen aggressive behaviour surface before the real deal is done???. Surley they know that the particular dog has aggression issues :cry:

Why? We don't know the circumstances.

I have seen terrible injuries caused by people attempting to seperate fighting dogs.

The dog could have been abused, the dog could have been ill.

dogs capable of such horrific attack, the owners would have seen aggressive behaviour surface before the real deal is done

perhaps they did - and didn't think it would escalate:perhaps this was a first and last;if she was unknown to the dog- something may have happened to stress /antagonise the dog....

Very sad for everyone.

Those powerful jaws -guess she's lucky it was limbs and not head.

Paper said damage to arms was defensive wounds. Sounds like she covered her head while being attacked.

Wouldn't it be nice if some facts about the dog's history got reported and we weren't left to speculate. One report said the lady was minding the dog..