Allergy - My Poor Dog Is Getting Really Cranky!

would be 15 yrs ago now,i didnt think to question them at the time,they just said she needed this.Each incision was about 1 cm approximately,she had been on elimination diet prior to this,i think-long time ago now :eek: .The pic you showed looked nothing like what she had,they were definate incisions,,because i was the one who took the stitches out!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erny,

Can I just correct you here ;) .

I have just sent my dogs blood to Hemopet/Hemolife for thyroid testing with Dr Jean Dodds... For the Thyroid 5 panel, (I think thats what it is called, its on the website anyway...), it was $65 American dollars, which translated to about $120 Aussie dollars, all up. Of course you then have to add on the Vets consult fee, for taking the blood. I then went and posted the blood myself to America, and had the results back, (after a bit of a mix up), in about 10 days ;) . No International Courier fee anymore :p .

:rofl: Wow, you must have done it at a bad time. The last time I converted AUD - USD it was almost equal. ie $65 American would have equated to around $70 Australian. We are still currently sitting at around the 91c to the American dollar.

It can take up to 3 months before any improvement is noticed when an allergen is removed (ie food soruce or whatever). The last girl we had on an elim diet took about 2 month beofre we noticed a big improvement. I would say we saw small noticeable changes within about 3 weeks (edited - meant to weeks, not months)

Working out allergies takes patience and persistance.

Oooooooops I buggered that up good and proper, didnt I :D .

You are right Anne, it was only about $70 dollars, what I quoted up above was the total cost of the Vets, sending it etc etc.. Sorry :(

I then went and posted the blood myself to America. ... No International Courier fee anymore :rofl: .

I'm not sure of this, but I think you might have been fortunate to get it through? My understanding is that it is illegal to send bloods via ordinary post and that to send it internationally you are supposed to make a declaration confirming it to be blood serum - this so that it does not get caught up with customs.

What method of post did you use? I'd be a bit concerned that there'd be times when it was held up, and what would become of the blood serum in the meantime and whether it would be 'testable' when it got there, or possibly give false negatives?? (Don't know much if anything about that side of things.)

Yep, on the Jean Dodds site, if gives you the declaration to put on the outside of the packaging for Customs. Jean Dodds provides very strict instructions for how to the blood just be taken, spun and packaged etc.

Yep that was what I was about to sat too Sas, you beat me to it...

When I sent my first bloods, about 8 months ago now, I questioned the transfering of the blood, via the mail, and Jean said that she had bloods coming in from all over the world everyday, and she had no problems with the Customs, PROVIDING you had the forms from her website easily accessible to the Customs guys in America :D

• 2 months later...
In your 1st post you said you fed your dog raw salmon. I have read on several occasions that raw salmon should not be fed to dogs because of flukes.

http://www.merckveterinarymanual.com/mvm/i...tm/bc/57305.htm

I don't think this is related to his allergies but thought it worth mentioning.

I read that site, how scary. My interpretation, though, is that if we feed raw fish from Australian waters, our dogs should be safe.

Crazy Daisy, how is your pup going?