Epa Report

Steve

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/mcdaniel-12...ducts-says.html

The way you're protecting your pets from fleas and ticks, could lead to even bigger trouble! That's according to a new study released by the EPA which shows that some popular medications are killing hundreds of pets each year! Concern is growing in the Capital Region, where the phone has been ringing off the hook at Sand Creek Animal Hospital in Colonie. Dr. Matthew McDaniel says pet owners are frantic, worried about the EPA study that shows some spot-on flea and tick treatments are causing some pet deaths and severe allergic reactions. None of the products have been pulled or banned yet, but new restrictions will be placed on the products. McDaniel says, "Most of the warning is about products that has been on the market for some time. The older generation flea and tick products are predominately sold through the pet stores, internet channels, non-veterinary sources."

McDaniel says the products sold at the Vet's office are safe. "100 percent safe. We have used Frontline for over 10 years. It's been on the market for over ten years "

The EPA is also worried about the clarity of the labels which tells owners how much should be used and where. "It's a tube once a month that you apply to the skin. Part the hair and put it on the back." explains, McDaniel.

Veterinarians continue to see increasing amounts of tick disease in the Capital Region, that's why McDaniel says the meds must be used. "Your best prevention is to use a product from a Vet to prevent fleas and ticks."

Only problem we have ever had is Frontline turning Beardies white collars yellow. Not good 3 days out from a show. :laugh:

Told the vet, she called the Rep., Rep. called me - "wash it off with dishwashing detergent......" That wasn't very good for the coat either ;) but it got them almost white again.

The original EPA report can be found at:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/e...33;OpenDocument

It isn't very satisfying about specifics, like which spot-on treatment and what active ingredient.

The link between Ivermectin (used in Revolution) and Collie deaths has been established for some years.

There was a lot of controversy about ivermectin killing dogs when it was first used in horse wormers years ago. I can't remember all the details but the dogs apparently died after licking up some of the paste that had been spilt. I think the manufacturer denied it at first but eventually there were enough cases to prove the link. It also doesn't break down in the horses system like other wormers so I'm careful to make sure my dogs don't eat any manure for a few days after worming my horses.

Edited by perfect partners

Having a Collie, we don't even buy horse wormers that contain any mectins, althouygh the horse & dog rarely have contact, we don't want any risk of the dog finding the empty tube in the bin or left in the car etc. Not worth it :laugh:

I was also disappointed and shocked to find that products like Heartgard don't carry any warnings about using it on collie's and related breeds. Scary.

Having a Collie, we don't even buy horse wormers that contain any mectins, althouygh the horse & dog rarely have contact, we don't want any risk of the dog finding the empty tube in the bin or left in the car etc. Not worth it :laugh:

I was also disappointed and shocked to find that products like Heartgard don't carry any warnings about using it on collie's and related breeds. Scary.

Would Australian Shepherds be considered a collie related breed in this situation?

Would Australian Shepherds be considered a collie related breed in this situation?

Yes. One of the best souces of information on the genetic mutation which causes the problem is in this information by Washington State University link .

You can have your dog tessted to see if it has the sensitivity.

There's quite a bit more out there - try putting something like mdr1 gene ivermectin sensitivity into your search engine.

Yes. One of the best souces of information on the genetic mutation which causes the problem is in this information by Washington State University link .

You can have your dog tessted to see if it has the sensitivity.

There's quite a bit more out there - try putting something like mdr1 gene ivermectin sensitivity into your search engine.

Thanks. Will look at those links.

I have a client who gives her largish dogs a garlic tablet in their food every day. She lives in a tick area and says she has never found a tick on the dogs and has no flea problems either.

I have not tried it personally and I don't have breeds that are sensitive to the spot-ons so I have used spot-ons with no dramas for the last 15 years.

I stopped using Frontline when they introduced Frontline Plus some years ago as the local fleas all came in to party after I used it!!! :whiteflag:

Hope it has more effectiveness now but while I am happy with either of the other 2 brands I am not going to take the risk.

And yes, warning should be on all of these products.

Souff

I thought garlic was poisonous to Dogs!!

My scottie has an allergic reaction to Advantix, when the vet contacted bayer and they then contacted me, the person at Bayer told me that Golden Retrievers and Bichon Frise, are very sensitive to Advantix, apparantly My scottie has the enviable title of the first scottie in Australia to be allergic to Advantix (Or so they told me)

Well I'm wondering now if a lot of people here are going to not use frontline products or other flea stuff which contains mectin's and does this also mean we shouldn't be using heartguard either then, I also have a friend who gives her dog a tea spoon of minced garlic in its food nightly and also swears he never gets fleas, Makes you wonder if we should look into natural alternatives as I recently read that the toxin's from annual injections can cause the wart type lumps like my old girl has got that drive her crazy is always trying to scratch them and rub on carpet. My first horse I owned was allergic to Ivermectin after being stomach drenched at an agistment property his hair all fell out and vet said it was not common but can happen, so had to be very careful in what I used to worm him as vet said it could kill him. :kissbetter:

Scrappynsuzie

I can only report what has worked for 1 dog owner.

The dog was very much alive and kicking last time I saw it.

It was a largish Doberman type dog.

Definitely not poisoned.

Wouldn't be the pharmaceutical companies who say that garlic is poisonous to dogs, would it ? :)

J Conlon

Sorry I don't know what the dose was.

A natural therapies practitioner who works with canines would be a good person to talk to, or a natural therapies site might have the info.

Souff

I have had problems of Advantix causing sores under where it has been applied to my dogs. I don't and won't use it now. Bayer Animal Health do not seem to care when had reported it. Saying it was a "hot spot" and not their product causing the sores.

My theory: The product is oily in nature. With a double coat breed, even though you separate the hair to apply to the skin, a certain amount is still soaked up by the under coat making an oily mass sitting above the skin. This allows water to get trapped underneath the oily spot causing the sore.

Another problem could be the use of the likes of Proban, Bayer Tick collars and products like Maldacin. All contain the same poison and you cannot use two of these products together as it will cause an "overdose".

Some pet owners are unaware of using two "green label" products together. There is insufficient warning on the labels of these products about using them in conjunction of other flea/tick preventatives.

Also add to the mix, the safety margin used within the top spots. I have contacted these companies previously, and the response from the operator is that the safety margin is SO high I can use a 40kg top spot on a 20kg dog without ill effect. If this is the case. Especially say if you cannot buy the product in your dogs weight range, so you go up a weight bracket.

You have to ask two questions: The effectiveness of the product that you can do this, and the concern of overdosing by (mis)using a product in such a way.

Having a Collie, we don't even buy horse wormers that contain any mectins, althouygh the horse & dog rarely have contact, we don't want any risk of the dog finding the empty tube in the bin or left in the car etc. Not worth it :thumbsup:

If you ring the manufacturer.. They say it is safe to be used on Collies. :rofl:

Just as an aside, there is absolutely no evidence that garlic works as a flea repellant. I think the original myth arose out of some poorly interpreted research. I, too, know people who swear by it but wouldn't use it myself.

Maybe so, but try telling that to the owners of dogs who swear it works. :rofl:

I think we sometimes forget that something will work for SOME dogs, but not work so well for others.

My dogs may not react to spot-ons, yet another dog who is on a different diet, or has different genetics, might well react adversely to the same product.

Same thing for natural therapies.

Dogs are individuals, just as humans are individuals. And their metabolisms also change, so what suits a young dog may not work so well for an older dog, etc.

And getting back to the subject of garlic, did you know that some of the organic poultry people swear that fresh garlic is a great all-wormer?

So, if ever you think that your free range, beautifully fresh organic eggs have just a hint of garlic flavour about them ......... :thumbsup:

Souff

Having a Collie, we don't even buy horse wormers that contain any mectins, althouygh the horse & dog rarely have contact, we don't want any risk of the dog finding the empty tube in the bin or left in the car etc. Not worth it :thumbsup:

If you ring the manufacturer.. They say it is safe to be used on Collies. :rofl:

It is on some. The trick is to know which ones. :p