Well--the Sheep Dogs Did Help

Boronia

Neighbours flock to help stranded livestock

By Paul Lockyer

Updated Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09pm AEDT

Rescuing the sheep and carrying them by helicopter to high ground is an enormous and exhausting operation but has yielded huge success. (ABC)

Rescuing the sheep and carrying them by helicopter to high ground is an enormous and exhausting operation but has yielded huge success.

More than 1,000 sheep have been taken to safety from five properties along Cuttaburra Creek, which is carrying a record flood from the Warrego River down from Queensland.

When the water quickly rose, hundreds of sheep were left stranded or bogged, heavily weighed down by their sodden wool.

The NSW State Emergency Service offered the helicopters. Neighbours banded together to provide the heavy lifting from the mud.

Sheep dogs help hold the dripping animals in tight groups as the helicopters hover above and lower the cages. The sheep are then loaded aboard - up to 18 at a time - and carried away to a landing point where handlers stand ready to release them.

Grazier Phillip Ridge sent out one of the first calls for help from Wapweelah Station and was overwhelmed by the response of neighbours and friends.

"You wouldn't find this in the world anywhere, this co-operation, and they've all got places and jobs which they've dropped. They're here voluntarily," he said.

"We're continually in the water to our knees and ankles. It's not ideal conditions, so it's hard yakka. We don't like to see our animals suffer so we're keen to get them out."

Courtney Milne and Lisa Mills, from two neighbouring properties, have been releasing the rescued sheep from the cages at the landing points, racing in to free them before the choppers swing away for another load.

"We found ours on a little island but we had to get to them in a canoe," Ms Mills said.

"It's nice to be able to see them get up, still full of water, and actually walk away. That's really good."

It is a small celebration every time another load comes swinging in.

"It's thumbs up every time we get them out and get them away. It's been great," Ms Milne said.

Isolated

On Wancobra Station, Dale McGrath was amazed at how swiftly the rescue operation unfolded. More than 400 sheep were lifted out of the floodwaters on his property alone.

"Every cage that goes, you think, 'you little beauty'. You know it's a few less that you're going to lose," he said.

Mr McGrath has been marooned on his property with his wife Sandi and their children, Jack and Katie, since heavy rains brought the first flood at Christmas.

"We're sort of like the donut in the middle of a lake at the moment," Ms McGrath said.

They receive the occasional food drop but mostly ferry supplies in kayaks - a distance of five kilometres through the floodwaters to a vehicle parked on the other side.

It takes about two hours.

Mr McGrath, the brother of former Australian cricket champion Glen McGrath, has been tested by all the paddling.

"I thought I was pretty fit, but not after this episode. I have to get a big kayak, a four-seater, so Sandi can row and I can sit in the back having a beer probably," he said.

The McGraths are likely to be isolated for another month at least, but they believe a sense of humour will help them through as well as the prospects of a bright future.

"Let the rivers run. It's good for the country. This will get right down, right down to the bottom," Mr McGrath said.

And down at the bottom, at the mouth of the Murray River in South Australia, there's much anticipation about what will come their way.

It's nice to see a positive story of late, I must admit I hadnt really given much thought about peoples livestock in regards to the flooding.

I mean in the back of my mind I knew, but I guess because I dont live it I didnt pay much mind to it.

Its good to read about people helping each other so much, oh and the great work of the stockdogs. :wave: