Tick Collar

I just put a Preventic tick collar on Tonka because we are going up to the mountains for the weekend. It's the first time I ever put one on him and he is running around, rubbing his head on everything soft, a bit frantic...or hyped up. It is definitely not too tight but it smells very pepperminty.I hope it is just a reaction to the smell :laugh:

Does anyone have experience with these? He's now calmed down but is walking slowly.

Watch him . But i would say it is the smell.

When I use them I leave them out of the packet for a couple of days before putting on. The smell even makes me feel a bit sick

Thanks MTD, I'm getting one today for the first time and I think that's great advice. :laugh: I'm taking Max with me to a show (we'll be camping) where I know there are a lot of ticks and a Preventic collar was suggested as an additional precaution I should take. I've never used one before.

Several of my dogs respond this way for the first half hour ( and Tonka was one of these :whiteflag: ) and I think it is the strong smell they are responding to. The same dogs respond to Frontline Plus, as well. So I do 1 dog at a time and play with them one-on-one and then the Frontline isn't immediately rubbed off on the lounges, and they forget about the tickle.

The only time I've had a real problem with the collars was when Nina was very small and managed to get it caught in her mouth for I don't know how many hours. A quick trip to the vet and an injection (sorry, can't remember what right now - it will come to me in the middle of the night) and she was fine almost immediately.

Just check that the collar is fitting snug but not tooo tight. All my dogs wear Preventatic collars for 10 months a year for the last 6 years and Nina's problem was the only one-time event.

Thanks Patters and everyone too. He seems to be fine this morning but was panting and going on last night...stalking across the back of the lounge with his head hanging and then revving around like a maniac. If I hadn't of had this forum to post on I might have been very worried. So thanks ;)