Hachi

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

Tonight Ivy and I have plans .. we're watching Hachi together! We hired it as I'm pretty sure my housemate is working hehe.

eta - just finished watching it! Oh gosh what an amazing film and so very well produced. Loved it!!!!

Edited by belgian.blue

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gotta say, I thought Hachi was a much better dog movie than Marley and Me, much more depth to the story and a lot more emotional. It didn't have that "sitcom" feel that Marley and Me had. The bond between Hachi and his master came across as strong, true and natural.

It's impossible to watch Hachi without falling in love with Akitas and activating the tear ducts (regardless of the gender of the viewer). And I agree that Hachi is better than Marley and me. Richard Gere does such a superb job, and one gets the feeling this was a real labour of love for him and a genuine tribute to the real Hachi of Japanese fame.

Guest belgian.blue
Just gotta say, I thought Hachi was a much better dog movie than Marley and Me, much more depth to the story and a lot more emotional. It didn't have that "sitcom" feel that Marley and Me had. The bond between Hachi and his master came across as strong, true and natural.

I agree all the way .. actually hated that movie with a passion. Ofcourse it made me cry a little but gosh, such a badly made film! I was thinking this last night when I watched the making of section. Love and thought went in to making it. All the effort they put in to training the Akitas too!

It's impossible to watch Hachi without falling in love with Akitas and activating the tear ducts (regardless of the gender of the viewer).

We watched Hachi last night, and I can definitely agree with the above comment! :)

Gorgeous dog(s) (I'm sure I saw the dog as a bitch sometimes and a dog other times - multiple dogs playing that character?), and as for the tear ducts... well, from the halfway point onwards I couldn't stop crying! Even a good 15 minutes after the movie stopped I was still crying thinking about Hachi and what he did :laugh:

OH never cries at movies - he watched Eight Below and Marley and Me without a hint of a tear (and both of those make me bawl, too), but he couldn't contain the tears with Hachi, he was crying into the tissues as well by the end!

Such a very emotional movie, and the bond between Hachi and Richard Gere felt so natural and true.

Damn, I'm welling up again now :laugh::):)

I want to see this, I cried when I read about this dog many years ago.

I'll be terrible. Anything to do with animals and I can't hold it back. Marley and Me made me sob into my popcorn :thumbsup:

In that case you will require a "box" of tissues ;)

The breed of Akita in the movie is the Japanese Akita, which is different to the American Akita in that they are generally smaller in size and have smaller eyes. Japanese Akita's are very rare in Australia as most of the Akita's here are American Akita's.

The puppy used in the beginning of the film was a Shiba Inu and not an Akita, this was used as it was easier to train than a puppy Akita. The Shiba Inu was still cute but if they had used Akita puppies your heart would have melted in an instant.

i only saw this recently in the hire shop - ive known the story since i started resesarching the breed. Thers a statue of Hachi in the town where he lived and the akita is a 'national treasure' in japan. i'ma bit tentative about watching it after these remarks - i cry at anything at the moment!

Im quite glad this movie didnt get much publicity as that would only encourage morons to go buy a cute puppy, some people have no idea that certain dog breeds might not be suited for their lifestyle, and insist on getting the one they like the look of.

Seandres - this is correct but i believe the temperament is the same, my boy would do anything for me... they are very much a 'one owner' dog and this also makes them very difficult for rescue (i have been involved in a few cases) as some do not bond with new owners.

i only saw this recently in the hire shop - ive known the story since i started resesarching the breed. Thers a statue of Hachi in the town where he lived and the akita is a 'national treasure' in japan. i'ma bit tentative about watching it after these remarks - i cry at anything at the moment!

Im quite glad this movie didnt get much publicity as that would only encourage morons to go buy a cute puppy, some people have no idea that certain dog breeds might not be suited for their lifestyle, and insist on getting the one they like the look of.

Seandres - this is correct but i believe the temperament is the same, my boy would do anything for me... they are very much a 'one owner' dog and this also makes them very difficult for rescue (i have been involved in a few cases) as some do not bond with new owners.

Totally agree on the temperment being the same as my Akita follows me or the missus everywhere.

I have read in a lot of Akita books and from people's experiences that the Akita's are very much a "one owner" dog but from my experience with my Akita it seems she has bonded with missus just as much as she has with me. From an early age we did encourage this as Akina-chan was always going to weigh around the same as my missus hence we both need to be able to control her.

I also agree that I am glad that this movie didn't get much publicity, Akita's definitely aren't for everyone.

Edited by Seandres

The director did a great job with this movie. I really loved it (and yes, I got the sniffles). I would like to see the original Japanese version. I also like the way they paid some homage to the story being originally a Japanese one. Not just acknowledging the story at the end, but by having the pup come from Japan, and also the Japanese colleague who spoke to him about Akitas.