Tumour Growing Fast

feistylady

Sadly even though Matey still appears OK within himself the tumour is growing rapidly infact I was shocked at how much it has grown in the last couple of days and is basically over growing his paw it is opening up in parts and looking raw. As I sit here in tears I feel I have to give quick consideration to the fact this must be mighty uncomfortable although when it is bandaged he doesn't show it. I think putting my feelings aside I should not allow him to go on until I feel he is ready.

I guess I was hoping for a miracle, that all I am trying would shrink this horrendous tumour but I have to admit defeat.

I have taken a photo I actually wish now I had taken photos from the beginning as these may have been able to help someone else identify this sooner.

Hi Feistylady - I dont know how to help you other than to say I know how awful it is to see something like this happening to a very dear friend. My seemingly very fit and strong dally boy suddenly started limping one day and 3 months later I had him pts. His tumor was in his shoulder muscle and it spread (into other muscles) and grew at an incredibly fast rate. Every day I'd be shocked at the increase in size. There's nothing worse than watching this and trying to decide every day how to deal with it.

My boy was also very okay within himself tho, he kept trying so very hard to go for longer walks etc and still had a massive apetite and enthusiasm for life. It wasn't until he was almost totally incapacitated with clearly no hope of getting better (he was on the operating table and it was obvious how bad things were) that I made the decision for him. He just wanted to stay with me no matter what. Broke my heart (I still lose it when I think of it even after 4 months) but I have to admire the devotion and love dogs have for people and life. He was an outstanding dog.

I wish you and Matey well and hope you have a better outcome than we did. On a positive note, my other dally - who lived to nearly 19 - fought off three large external tumors from the age of about 13 onwards. Occassionally they came back and we fought them off again. I used natural treatments (as an op would not have helped, especially at her age) and worked on boosting her immune system and used poultices to suck out the toxins. We managed to get rid of them completely.

Sadly even though Matey still appears OK within himself the tumour is growing rapidly infact I was shocked at how much it has grown in the last couple of days and is basically over growing his paw it is opening up in parts and looking raw. As I sit here in tears I feel I have to give quick consideration to the fact this must be mighty uncomfortable although when it is bandaged he doesn't show it. I think putting my feelings aside I should not allow him to go on until I feel he is ready.

I guess I was hoping for a miracle, that all I am trying would shrink this horrendous tumour but I have to admit defeat.

I have taken a photo I actually wish now I had taken photos from the beginning as these may have been able to help someone else identify this sooner.

Michelle

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Matey , enjoy your time with him.

Love and Hugs to both of you.

Julie

I used natural treatments (as an op would not have helped, especially at her age) and worked on boosting her immune system and used poultices to suck out the toxins. We managed to get rid of them completely.

Can you give me more info

Thanks

Research Avemar and Artemisinin. I used those supplements for my Rottweiler, along with a few other supplements. Her prognosis was that she had only a few short weeks left and she lived happily and pain free for another nine months from her pathology result revealing a fast growing osteosarcoma. (she was tested 3 months prior but pathology was inconclusive). She had oral osteosarcoma.

There are Yahoo groups for both Avemar and Artemisinin. It's well worth joining them.

The most important part of nursing a cancer patient is pain relief. Without that there is no quality of life.

Research Avemar and Artemisinin. I used those supplements for my Rottweiler, along with a few other supplements. Her prognosis was that she had only a few short weeks left and she lived happily and pain free for another nine months from her pathology result revealing a fast growing osteosarcoma. (she was tested 3 months prior but pathology was inconclusive). She had oral osteosarcoma.

There are Yahoo groups for both Avemar and Artemisinin. It's well worth joining them.

The most important part of nursing a cancer patient is pain relief. Without that there is no quality of life.

Thanks CavnRot.

Spottychick, look forward to your post when you have time. My girl is in for surgery on Mon morning. Fingers crossed it is not as serious as suspected

Edited by shantiah

feistylady,

My boy (now at the bridge) had two major surgeries for multiple mast cell cancers when he was about 7 and 9 yrs. The last surgery they used chemo to shrink the tumour down which was successful (he was not at all ill on the treatment) and then removed it with clear margins.

He lived a great life until 13 yrs when I put him to sleep because his quality of life had diminished.

Good luck with the surgery. :laugh: