'bait' And Theft Of Dogs

sandgrubber

BSL is deeply linked to dog fighting and social aversion to it.

I have never seen a deliberate dog fight, and hate the whole idea. I am so disgusted by it that it may blind me to the details.

Every time there's a epidemic of dog thefts, someone mentions the fear that dogs are being stolen as 'bait' for a dog fighting ring.

Is this total paranoia? Would real dog fighters steal dogs that are incompetent fighters to train fighting dogs? Or would they be more inclined to go for SBT's and other dogs that have a 'fighting' chance? Or would different people have diferent tactics for training their dogs?

I cannot see how it would help prep a dog for a good fight to set it against a dog it can bring down and kill without really trying.

My guess is people are stealing dogs to resell them or breed them and resell the pups.

(Inspired by the latest 'dogs going missing' report on the general forum)

Edited by sandgrubber

I certinaly don't think every dog that goes missing (or is truly stolen) is used as a bait dog but I'm sure it does happen.

I cannot see how it would help prep a dog for a good fight to set it against a dog it can bring down and kill without really trying.

I believe they are used to start fighting dogs off. Send the aggressive but green dog in with a non-aggressive dog and the fighter is going to win with as little injury as possible.

Dogs are stolen because someone wanted a free one, druggies steal SWF to on sell to the gullible, and they are stolen for bait. They are also stolen for breeding. Someone had 2 speyed cavs stolen. They were taken from the back of her property, over the fence. They were returned 2 days later, and everyone suspected it was because they were speyed and ear tatooed.

There have been true stories of dogs stolen in one suburb, and turning up months later in anothe suburb, wearing a collar and rope - id by microchip.

SWF for green dogs, staffies and amstaffs, and other dogs of similar size for more seasoned performers.

In areas where dogs fights are rumoured, more dogs go missing. And sometimes they are found really badly injured, or dead with fight wounds.

In a suburb in Toowoomba (Q) some years ago, heaps of cats disappeared. People jokingly blamed the local Chinese restaurant. Council did a random inspection, fridge full of cats!! Fined, and told to clean up their act. Cats were safe. Back in business, open for 12 months, council inspects again, more cats. Reported in paper, so not gossip, and restaurant was then closed by the council.

So, you never know!!

• 2 weeks later...
Sunshine Coast pets 'stolen for dog fights' JANINE HILL

March 31, 2010

A SPATE of missing dogs has sparked fears of an organised dog fight on the Sunshine Coast over Easter involving an outlaw motorcycle gang.

Five dogs from Rambert Road and a nearby road are believed to have been stolen last week.

The missing dogs include two purebred Staffordshire terriers, a bull mastiff, and a Staffy-bull mastiff cross.

A fifth dog, which had been tethered behind a house in a full-body harness, was found out of its harness, with some of the strapping missing, and injuries which indicated it may have jumped from a moving vehicle.

The RSPCA believes the disappearances point to organised theft.

Read the full story at the Sunshine Coast Daily.