Justice For Tango.supreme Court 29th March Brisbane

tybrax

I wish the best to the owners of Tango. This is an upsetting story that should have never happened.

I am of the opinion that after 60 years of separate breeding for different attributes the APBT and AMStaffy’s are two different breeds. They started from the same breed but are two different dogs now. From the dogs I have seen AMStaffy’s are generally larger with a larger head and are crazy goofy cuddly sooks. I am not saying APBT’s are not affectionate but the hand full of pure breds I have met have been lovely but more reserved and stern.

The UKC considers them the same breed and will accept them to be dual registered as APBT and AMStaffy’s but the AKC will not accept UKC registered APBT to be registered as AMStaffy’s or vice versa. If you speak with respectable breeders all over the world of either breed they will be the first to say APBT and AMStaffy’s are separate breeds.

If one is to investigate dog pit fights even knowing they are illegal in most parts of the world they still happen and are quite popular in some parts. The people of this world will not use AMStaffys for pitting as they consider them not adequate for the sport. Because AMStaffy’s are not used for fighting those attributes are bred out and they are less likely to be aggressive as a breed in whole. I will also note that the back yard bred fighting APBT’s are bred for dog aggression. Not human aggression.

Although the larger community of registered APBT breeders have bred their dogs responsibly away from any aggression back yard breeders breeding for dog aggression maybe few and far between but still exist. I doubt there are any in Australia but you never know. Getting a pure bred APBT with papers from a known breeder in Australia would support responsible breeding for safe and stable APBT’s.

The above shows reason that the BSL for APBT’s and associated Bully breeds is ignorant and irresponsible. No one can say all APBT’s are aggressive or bred to be aggressive because the truth is the majority are not.

Even with the differences in opinion and arguments in this thread I think everyone can put their differences aside for the greater good and agree that BSL for APBT and associated Bully breeds is ignorant, irresponsible and should not exist.

Here is my solution:

I think all dogs should be registered, managed and regulated as dogs and not by breed.

If we want to reduce dog attacks on humans and other dogs I believe as part of council registration every two years all dogs regardless of breed should be observed and evaluated for dog and human aggression and then scored. If the dog scores well the owner and dog go on their merry way and the council has a record of the dogs attitude in case anything ever goes wrong. If the dog scores low mandatory obedience training should be enforced. After an approved training course is completed if the dog still shows human or dog aggression it should be put on restricted council registration and hefty fines applied if the limitations associated with the restrictions are broken.

Each limitation would be applied as to how the dog scored in each area. Limitations would be something like this.

1) All aggressive dogs must be neutered or spayed. This will stop these aggressive attributes being passed on and reduce aggression in the dog at hand.

2) Dog must always be leashed outside on the owner’s residence.

3) Dog must be always muzzled outside of owner’s residence.

I think pet owners should pay for these evaluations and the training if required as part of council registration.

This would force people to take reasonability for their dogs and weed out irresponsible breeding and irresponsible dog owners.

The only people that would be against this will be irresponsible breeders and irresponsible dog owners.

I have no idea how to get the ball rolling on something like I have suggested so if anyone would like to help I would like to push forward with this and help have BSL for the most part abolished.

The more dog owners and breeders of any breed get involved the better chance we will all have in creating a more just and fair world for our dogs.

As an owner of a 6 year old Maltese and 16 week old American Bulldog. Even know American Bulldogs are not well known in Australia and their reputation to those that do know is of a loving child friendly breed I fear it is only a matter of time before Bully breed prejudice will add my American Bulldog to the BSL.

I bet a lot of small dog owners will not like my suggestion of regulation and this is one of the main reasons I think all dogs should be evaluated. In the past few weeks walking my American Bulldog pup he has been nipped at, bitten or attacked by: In Order,

1) Maltese x Shih tzu,

2) Toy Poodle x Chihuahua,

3) Tibetan spaniel,

4) Miniature Dachshund/sausage dog,

5) 5 month old Staghound x mutt,

6) Maltese x Shih tzu,

7) Maltese x Shih tzu,

8) Husky breed,

9) Mini Fox terrier,

10) Australian Cattle x

All these dogs except the 5 month old Staghound x mutt were off lead. 80% of them in dog parks. All the owners were very good and apologetic as my American Bulldog is just a pup but I have concerns on what’s going to happen when he is a grown 50kg’s of muscle.

He has no aggression at all now but if a dog attacks him and he defends himself and the other dog gets hurt the finger will be pointed at him. After reading about other people’s similar experiences I now never have him off lead around other dogs. Not because I am worried about him being aggressive. I am more concerned that I cannot predict everyone else’s dog’s behaviour.

I think not all but a lot of small dog owners do not take responsibility for their dogs being aggressive but will be the first to blame a larger dog if their dog gets hurt because their dog picked a fight with it. This is amplified when it is a Bully breed.

Something needs to be done to save all dogs not just Bully breeds. This is a bigger problem than just one dog or just one or two breeds. All dog registries and clubs should be jumping in to protect all dogs.

(By no means do I support or indorse dog fighting/pitting in any way. Organised dog fighting is cruel and unfair to our fury friends.)

Edited by Tankass

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images