tybrax

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends how you define "well".

Judgement is yet to come but it looks like Tango has been proved to be an Amstaff.

The Gold Coast City Council's argument now is that all Amstaffs are APBT, and within the Commonwealth prohibited imports Regulation, so that all Amstaffs are "restricted dogs" in Queenhsland (at least). According to this argument, everyone who thought Amstaffs were legal imports and legal to keep despite BSL restricitons, including the Council itself, has simply had it wrong for all these years.

This post is not a joke or a wind up. Amstaff owners get ready.

Judgement awaited.

Depends how you define "well".

Judgement is yet to come but it looks like Tango has been proved to be an Amstaff.

The Gold Coast City Council's argument now is that all Amstaffs are APBT, and within the Commonwealth prohibited imports Regulation, so that all Amstaffs are "restricted dogs" in Queenhsland (at least). According to this argument, everyone who thought Amstaffs were legal imports and legal to keep despite BSL restricitons, including the Council itself, has simply had it wrong for all these years.

This post is not a joke or a wind up. Amstaff owners get ready.

Judgement awaited.

:thumbsup:

For the legal eagles on DOL how does it work if council loses and a Supreme court judge rules that an amstaff is not an APBT, does that basically make BSL's future as far as AST's anywhere in Australia a non event as the precedent has been set?

I would imagine that this legal argument will not go well for amstaff owners. It may well be a victory for Tango - but only for the time being...

It appears that QLD has shown it's hand... All those with amstaff get ready for a fight. Perhaps Minds can be changed before the legislation is.

Time to get all SBT owners involved as no doubt we will be next in line after amstaffs.

It's interesting the Gold coast City councils tune now about being the same breed, I wonder if its probably better for them to go this way than open a potential flood of compensation claims by everyone whose dogs are misidentified?

That might be the reason.

most dictionary definitions say the same. ie definition pit bull see AST.

Edited by GeckoTree

The only way to end BDL is to pressure governments to end it and stop donating to the R$PCA until it opposes it. It was only a matter of time before Australia followed the rest of the world i.e. APBT=AST=SBT=American Bullie= American Bulldog=Boxer=any short-haired blocky cross-bred. If GCCC calls ASTs APBTs it will take another six years to fight and thousands of dogs will die in the meantime. Perhaps we could start a movement "We're Not Gonna Take it Anymore", catchier than EDBA, no criticism intended of EDBA whatsoever.

For so long I have been reading threads where people state over and over that the APBT and the Amstaff are the same breed. Did people honestly not think that the Amstaff was next on the chopping block!!

Best anybody who owns a breed bigger than a slipper get their act together and help with the BSL fight before we are all doomed to owning a SWF!!

I dont think it has to do with not thinking they were next, but more a matter of when, I read a thread from the beginning of this forum that said the same and that was 10 yrs ago. I am very surprised it has taken so many years to come to this point.

All our councils (qld) could have added and regulated them at will at any point in time, still can, it would have made life easier for the councils on the breed identifing front all those years ago for certain if they would have done that.

The problem with this is it wont be about local qld councils anymore if the GCCC gets its way, but could have a larger impact that could go to the point of prohibit importing them even.

People must be blind if they couldnt see what would happen one day, the writing was on the wall in neon signs , you dont even have to have an interest in bull and terrier breeds to have seen it.

I wish everyone with the AST the best of luck, and I do hope you dont have to find out what living a restricted life is all about.

I have no doubt it isnt an easy one.

I dont think it has to do with not thinking they were next, but more a matter of when, I read a thread from the beginning of this forum that said the same and that was 10 yrs ago. I am very surprised it has taken so many years to come to this point.

All our councils (qld) could have added and regulated them at will at any point in time, still can, it would have made life easier for the councils on the breed identifing front all those years ago for certain if they would have done that.

The problem with this is it wont be about local qld councils anymore if the GCCC gets its way, but could have a larger impact that could go to the point of prohibit importing them even.

People must be blind if they couldnt see what would happen one day, the writing was on the wall in neon signs , you dont even have to have an interest in bull and terrier breeds to have seen it.

I wish everyone with the AST the best of luck, and I do hope you dont have to find out what living a restricted life is all about.

I have no doubt it isnt an easy one.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and i kind of agree, but i guess many people believed that being a registered breed with breed clubs and active members in the CCCQ was their pass to owning the dog that they wanted, they obided by the law and proabably saw no real reason to fight a fight that didn't yet exist.

We all know alcohol is a legal drug so we relax and indulge feeling guilt free because it's legal, (and seemingly ignore all the associated health problems, and say to ourselves well at least i'm not taking drugs..) but they're not going to start fighting agaisnt prohibition that doesn't exist yet..if you catch my drift.

Many amstaff breeders have been supporting the anti BSL campaign from the beginning (and many owned pitbulls before hand) so i don't think we can say, "hey, amstaff breeders, you should've been prepared." they've done the right thing all along now they're going to have to fight for their dogs, all large breed owners should start banding together on this.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens, i can see plenty of unpapered amstaff owners trying to prove that their dogs are lab/mastiff/staffy/boxer or whatever crosses.

This is only a council arguement and not a judgement or ruling. This come's next week.

Many people are fighting very hard at the moment.

tybrax

I wish them all the best, maybe all anti BSL campaigners should use the media coverage to put some pressure on the government to get rid of BSL.

First and foremost though Tango's hearing is the most pressing thing, got all my fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks for the letter (maybe on other thread) i re-worded and passed it on. To add to all the others i've sent.