Supercoat

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It must be such poor quality that my dogs thrive on it.

I cant afford to feed the Proplan or Hills or Eukanuba. I dont have a money tree in my back yard.

Realisticly I have to look at the cost factor. I go through one bag of large breed a fortnight, but they also get dog roll, chicken mince etc.

The dogs toilets are a little softer if they have just had the bikkies.

Each to their own with what you can afford or what you think may work.

I get the chicken large breed.

I find the supercoat way better than a few of the other brands I have purchased.

YES!! Just one of the reasons I stopped feeding it some 4 or so years ago. I was a diehard Supercoat supporter. Fed it to my puppies and adults and recommended it to puppy purchasers.

It USED to be a reasonable quality "budget friendly" food. It appeared to undergo an ingredient, manufacturing change and was no longer the same.

You'll find many others had the same experience.

I now feed most of my dogs a combo of Great Barko/Uncle Albers. Still Australian manufactured (by Laucke Mills in South Australia) it is a budget friendly dry food that most dogs seem to do very well on. TOO well in some cases. I highly recommend it for adult dogs. I use Optimum for my puppies.

Im changing my dogs off Supercoat just as soon as the bags are empty. Their skin and coat is a lot drier since starting on supercoat, the puppy often has an upset tummy but that could just be a sensitive puppy thing

Ive decided to put my GR pup on Royal Canin, and I think Ill put my JRT on a science diet, not sure if Ill do small dog senior or sensitive ...anyone have any suggestions for an itchy dog?

Supercoat contains a lot of cereal. From my limited observation, how well your dog does on it will depend on how well their gut tolerates cereal.

Clearly many dogs do well on it. However from within my circle of dog friends who have or do feed it I know one person whose dog had persistent yeast infections and another whose dog produces what can only be described as copious amounts of mousse from its rear end. :confused:

Whats your budget purebreed - are you up for super premium, standard stuff or supermarket/low end stuff? There seem to be better and worse in each of those ranges.

Edited by poodlefan

Any pups we have are fed supercoat and raw- no problems or complaints here :confused:

Perhaps the best advice I can give anyone trying a new dog food is don't lash out on big bags. Get some samples either from the retailer or manufacturer or from someone you know that feeds it.

I'm about to conduct experiments with the new Artemis Power on friends dogs that didn't tolerate the old recipe well. The dogs seem to be willing test subjects. :laugh:

Ours have been on premium and supermarket brands and to be honest I've not noticed much of a difference. The only food that has ever caused a problem with our boy was Eaglepack, gave him the runs.

I find Optimum a good one if you are buying a supermarket brand.

This is interesting. I feed both my dogs this. Jet seems to be scratching lately? So maybe the food is to blame. He will eat anything though. Jessie who is 9 years old will not eat it though unless I feed it to her but then will try to eat the cat kibble? So this may also be an issue. Might consider changing.

How long would you allow a new food 'adjustment' period? Lincoln is changing kibble (from RC to EP Holistic Select) and he has runny poos atm, but I read somewhere that you should a couple of weeks for thie gut to adjust.

Did you mix the 2 kibble together for awhile Valley? I changed Mason from Advance to Eagle Pack Holistic, I just mixed what I had left of the Advance with the EP Holsitic and Mason was fine, I have to be careful with him as he gets the runs in the blink of an eye but saying that since we have been on the new food he is 100% better.

I feed my 16 week old CKCSx supercoat puppy as it's what she was fed on before I got her. The seller also gave us a full bag of it so I have just continued with it. My problem is that our puppy eats her food sooo fast! I also think she burns it off too fast! She has had bouts of runny poos although I don't think that was completely to do with the supercoat.

Either way I'm not really happy with it and will be changing her over to optimum puppy when we finish the bag we are on.

I used to feed supercoat and occasionally optimum (just buying a smaller bag fortnightly) but I noticed he (GSD) was needing lots and it seemed to be going right through him.

I made the switch to Hills due to the fact I can get it through work.. regardless even without any discounts it works out a much cheaper food as I buy the big bag and it lasts us months with 2 dogs. Check prices and feeding amount carefully and you may find other 'premium' foods are the same.. I was giving like 4-5 cups of the supercoat versus 2-3 cups of the hills.

Either way I'm not really happy with it and will be changing her over to optimum puppy when we finish the bag we are on.

You'd be better off buying a small bag of Optimum now and mix it in with the other whilst you do a gradual changeover.

How long would you allow a new food 'adjustment' period? Lincoln is changing kibble (from RC to EP Holistic Select) and he has runny poos atm, but I read somewhere that you should a couple of weeks for thie gut to adjust.

Did you mix the 2 kibble together for awhile Valley? I changed Mason from Advance to Eagle Pack Holistic, I just mixed what I had left of the Advance with the EP Holsitic and Mason was fine, I have to be careful with him as he gets the runs in the blink of an eye but saying that since we have been on the new food he is 100% better.

He is still getting about 50/50 but I was chatting to dad earlier and he has been eating sand (again) so I think this is the cause as his poos were fine last week (we started introducing EP 2 weeks ago).

I once tried Supercoat for my dogs........never again. Their poo was revolting :mad

:eek:

Pretty much what you get with feeding dogs a food that is very high in grains. A lot of very stinky poop. The grain = a filler and their body can't utilise it properly so they poop it out.

Good for people who like cleaning up lots of stinky poop I guess. :mad I can't stand the poop my dogs do when I feed them dog roll either. The preservatives in that stuff give me a headache when I'm cutting it up, I'd hate to think what it does to the dogs.

Raw diet = non stinky poops, non stinky dogs, no skin problems, shiny coat, lean dogs, happy dogs. Did I mention beautiful teeth? Feed then what they were designed to digest and the benefits are obvious.