Supercoat

It used to be OK until around 6 or so years ago, then it went down hill. We ( like many others ) had previously raised puppies on it, we suddenly found them hard to get started on it, our older dogs got the runs and the poo was huge and disgusting.

It's in the crap food department along with Barko and Albers.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's in the crap food department along with Barko and Albers.

This I'm going to have to dispute. Because I simply don't agree. Many people, including myself, have had excellent results with GB and UA. Just because it isn't RAW or a so-called "premium" food doesn't automatically make it rubbish.

It is a "budget" food...no denying it...can't complain about 22kg for under $40. BUT, it is a budget food that for my dogs (and many others) get good results. They put on weight and maintain it easily. Their skin and hair is in excellent condition. They don't scratch constantly. Their eyes don't run. Their ears and breath don't smell. Their teeth stay clean. And the output is small, crumbly and very easy to dispose of.

What more can I ask for?

I supplemented my bitch with Supercoat puppy while she was pregnant, and until soon after she had finished feeding. I didn't have any problems with it. I also put the puppies on it, without any problems. We have now bought our own male puppy, and he too is on Supercoat puppy. When we first got him, I mixed Nutro Large Breed puppy in with it, but now he is on straight Supercoat. After all this discussion, I may mix some more Nutro in with it. For my cats, I have always bought high end Supermarket brands, such as Optimum. I cant see anything wrong with people buying high end Supermarket products for their animals. They are doing the best they can with limited finances. I must say though, I have heard bad stories about Science Diet, and would not feed this to my dogs. Apart from the dry they get, they are on a raw diet. I wouldn't feed dry food as their main diet, it is more as a supplement.

Where does the stinky poo come from?????

I mix a dog roll and offal with my dogs food and I still dont get to pick up stinky dog poo. Am I missing out on something.

Actually my hubby does poo patrol during the week and he would be the first t0 say something if they did pong.

Maybe my dogs dont have the stinky poo gene?????

Edited by stonebridge

Obviously your dog does well on what you're feeding Stonebridge.

That should be the guide to feeding a dog....not what "name" it is, or whether it is part of a current fad, or is popular, or cheap or anything else.

Despite the food Nazis, MY personal choice when it comes to feeding my animals is what they do best on, that I can obtain, that I can afford.

I guess it depends on the dog.

My first BC did very well on Supercoat and this is what her breeder fed her.

The boy I have now however had terrible gas to put it mildly from Supercoat, he could clear a room, so eventually after trying a few brands he does well on Eagle Pack.

Obviously your dog does well on what you're feeding Stonebridge.

That should be the guide to feeding a dog....not what "name" it is, or whether it is part of a current fad, or is popular, or cheap or anything else.

Despite the food Nazis, MY personal choice when it comes to feeding my animals is what they do best on, that I can obtain, that I can afford.

exactly ellz

I have 4 large breed dogs.

My two spayed bitches are constantly on a diet as they will bulk on the weight at the smell of food.

I have always been told that your dogs are what you feed them in the end result.

There are some brands that I would like to try which have been mentioned here and on other threads but I cant find them in Toowoomba.

Until I can find something else which the dogs will do even better on and is within my budget the Supercoat is for them.

Stonebridge, I can name multiple BIS winning dogs that eat Woofbix from Big W as the basis for their diets. And I can even name one breeder whose dogs eat Chum dry food. DEFINITELY not my choice, but they're ok with it.

And likewise, there are many people here (but who are probably too scared of flack from the Food Nazis to admit it) who have changed their dogs to GA or UA for various reasons and who are absolutely delighted with the results.

I can honestly say that feeding GB and UA doesn't affect fertility or litter health. My Stafford bitch had her first litter in November. 9 puppies. All are big, strapping puppies now. The only time she wasn't fed GB/UA was late in her pregnancy and again during weaning because I couldn't obtain the food locally and she started scratching on another brand of food (high-end Supermarket food which I could obtain easily) and didn't stop scratching, or put condition back on until she was back on the GB/UA and she is looking marvellous now. Quite a few people saw her at a show a couple of weekends ago and were stunned at how good she WAS looking considering the size of the litter such a short time ago. She'll be hitting the show ring again the weekend after Easter, she's looking that good!!!

If people like the results that they get from Supercoat, then by all means they should feed it. I USED to feed it but didn't like the end result so I changed. I've not fed it again since so cannot say whether or not things have changed again. I'm not willing at this stage to give it another go because I've found something else that does work for my dogs. BUT, I will add that one of my puppy people couldn't get Optimum so got Supercoat instead because it was available at the local supermarket (large country town) and it was on special and despite giving it a good go, they quickly went back to Optimum because the volume of smelly, fluffy output was quite mindblowing for them after having become used to nice, small, formed, dark stools.

And likewise, there are many people here (but who are probably too scared of flack from the Food Nazis to admit it) who have changed their dogs to GA or UA for various reasons and who are absolutely delighted with the results.

I'm not afraid to say that I'm very happy with the quality of Uncle Alber's :thumbsup: UA makes up the majority of my dog's diet. He gets UA every night with one sardine (also gets one raw egg a week and bones on weekends). I just came back from walking him and when we got to the front door I looked down at him and thought, "damn you look good!". He is lean with a beautiful, soft, shiny coat. Can't be unhappy with that!

I'm not afraid to say that I'm very happy with the quality of Uncle Alber's :thumbsup: UA makes up the majority of my dog's diet. He gets UA every night with one sardine (also gets one raw egg a week and bones on weekends). I just came back from walking him and when we got to the front door I looked down at him and thought, "damn you look good!". He is lean with a beautiful, soft, shiny coat. Can't be unhappy with that!

I just googled and I see there is a distributor in Warwick which is close by but not in my general direction. I am going to the warwick show next weekend so may stop in and see what they have.

How much does the 22kg bag cost??????

I realise prices may vary depending on where you live.

Has anyone got a bag handy to give me a protein/fat breakdown please

doesnt matter I see it is on the website.

Protein range is a bit too high for me

but i may get a bag to see how they go on it with a mix

Edited by stonebridge

supercoat gives one of my dog's runs, the boys do okay on it. But they are always hanging around the kitchen looking for more food

i'm now feeding Optimum and they seem to be doing okay on it

I have a friend who won BIG at the Royal Easter Show couple of years ago and she feeds woofbix :thumbsup: gives my lot too many poops for my liking though but each dog is different.

I just googled and I see there is a distributor in Warwick which is close by but not in my general direction. I am going to the warwick show next weekend so may stop in and see what they have.

How much does the 22kg bag cost??????

I realise prices may vary depending on where you live.

Has anyone got a bag handy to give me a protein/fat breakdown please

doesnt matter I see it is on the website.

Protein range is a bit too high for me

but i may get a bag to see how they go on it with a mix

I tend to mix the GB and UA together. And remember, a little tends to go a VERY long way! Especially if you add extra stuff to the diet like I do (meat,

bones etc).

As far as price is concerned, I think the average is around $35 for a 22kg bag.

I always add extras to the kids meals

Have just sorced mixed boxes of offal from work for a really really good price.

My spayed girls get 2 cups of supercoat per day(1 cup morn and night) plus a couple of peices of dog roll each and they have got plenty of weight on them(they think they could always have more LOL)

Mind you they dont have alot of exercise. Even out in the kennels they are just chilling out.

the big fella and Maggie get more obviously

1 bag of sc lasts my 4 kids 2 weeks, thats with added extras as well

Cheers for all the reply's :thumbsup:

Its not a money issue with buying a cheeper brand of dog kibble, i'm having alot of trouble finding a certin brand :rofl::rofl: and until i can source that i want them on a brand i can get anywhere.

They have not had it yet, hence the runs question, just wanted to find out if it would :rofl::)

Where does the stinky poo come from?????

Their butt holes.

really??????

well you learn something new everyday.

sorry you have had such a bad experience.

Well you asked the question!

No need to be sorry - it's not exactly a problem and I wouldn't call it a "bad experience" because I choose not to feed it. I can tell by the general body odour of a dog when they are fed on cheap kibble. I can tell the change in the smell of my own dogs if I've had to feed kibble for some reason for more than 2 days. Having looked after lots of different dogs in rescue I firstly haven't come across one whose poo doesn't smell (your dogs must be super special) and secondly haven't come across one whose poo doesn't change to the white crumbly, almost odourless poo when fed on a raw diet. It's all relative.

You get what you pay for. Personally I'd prefer to put the time, effort and money into raw feeding to ensure my dogs health. It would be much easier to scoop the food out of a big bag but I see the disadvantages of being fed an inappropriate diet as too great for the dog. It's worth the money and effort for me.

The only problems with raw diet is that you need to be educated into how to make a balance. I have no idea how to feed a raw diet and my pup's are happy with a mixture of dry food and bones. I am definately changing off of the supercoat though.

We used to feed a premium brand and it was great while it was made in the USA but when it started to be made locally the dogs all started eating dirt, poo etc. We now feed Supercoat and couldn't be happier although they aren't fed that solely.

You get what you pay for. Personally I'd prefer to put the time, effort and money into raw feeding to ensure my dogs health. It would be much easier to scoop the food out of a big bag but I see the disadvantages of being fed an inappropriate diet as too great for the dog. It's worth the money and effort for me.

Agree with this (at risk of being called a food nazi).