Supercoat

You get what you pay for. Personally I'd prefer to put the time, effort and money into raw feeding to ensure my dogs health. It would be much easier to scoop the food out of a big bag but I see the disadvantages of being fed an inappropriate diet as too great for the dog. It's worth the money and effort for me.

Agree with this (at risk of being called a food nazi).

Absolutely

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:eek: Or disagree with me just because you do! :mad If the food nazi cap fits......wear it with pride. That's your prerogative!

And FWIW, we in Tasmania are not able to follow a "true" BARF diet because legally, we cannot feed offal to our dogs. And as offal is such a major part of the raw diet, it leaves our dogs at somewhat of a disadvantage.

:eek: Or disagree with me just because you do! :mad If the food nazi cap fits......wear it with pride. That's your prerogative!

And FWIW, we in Tasmania are not able to follow a "true" BARF diet because legally, we cannot feed offal to our dogs. And as offal is such a major part of the raw diet, it leaves our dogs at somewhat of a disadvantage.

Offal should never comprise more than 10% of a raw diet. Can you feed chicken livers/giblets down there?

The only problems with raw diet is that you need to be educated into how to make a balance. I have no idea how to feed a raw diet and my pup's are happy with a mixture of dry food and bones. I am definately changing off of the supercoat though.

There is no "problem" with a raw diet - you just have to learn the balance. Learning is part of being a reponsible owner. If you want to feed raw then you have to learn a new way. It's not difficult. You also have to have a balance between dry food and bones.

I think lack of confidence is a common reason why people don't make the change but really the information is not difficult to find and it's difficult to go wrong feeding dogs what they were designed to eat. The balance happens on a week by week basis rather than a meal by meal basis.

Edited by blacklabrador

:D Or disagree with me just because you do! :) If the food nazi cap fits......wear it with pride. That's your prerogative!

Why does somebody have to be labelled a "food nazi" because they go to the effort of feeding raw? Does that mean that somebody can be labelled "food lazy" if they feed their dog out of a bag? Funny how it looks when you turn it around eh?

Offal doesn't comprise of very much of any diet and so it shouldn't. Most of the organ foods are waste organs of the animals and are full of toxins. Liver and kidney should be kept to a minimum and given with a cautious awareness of their former function. Not sure what giblets functions are ( I guess I know more about mammals).

I feed Supercoat lite and mature to my dachshund, along with extras such as chickie necks/wings, sardines. She does pretty well on it, no complaints here. And NO, her poops are not disgusting, they are dark and well formed. :D

I think people should be able to make up their own minds without having specific feeding regimes drilled into them.

If they want to feed dry they should be able to without the barf people slagging off dry food.

If they want to feed a mix of dry and offal, dog roll etc, then they should be able to do so, without people slagging off that alternative.

If they want to feed raw, then they should be able to do so without people who feed dry food saying that raw doesnt work or is not nutriently balanced.

Lets face it...in the wild, the dog would eat the stomach contents of an animal, which oh my gosh may contain cereals and grains. The dog would also eat the offal.

I get sick of the "barf, oh but there is nothing better" people slagging off those who chose to feed a mix or who feed dry.

So why dont we all just chill out and act like civil humans who can make our own choices. Because we can.

It's not about what people want to feed, it should be about what is best for your dog. And for those who go the extra mile to research and try different foods to see how the dogs perform and what they are healthiest on, whether it be dry or natural, well good on em.

Edited by gareth

It's not about what people want to feed, it is what is best for your dog. And for those who go the extra mile to research and try different foods to see how the dogs perform and what they are healthiest on, whether it be dry or natural, well good on em.

I agree I would love to feed an all natural raw only diet but my dog cant digest bones so I have to do the next best that I can which is feed him raw mince and the best kibble I can find and I am going with Holistic Select at the moment.

I think people should be able to make up their own minds without having specific feeding regimes drilled into them.

If they want to feed dry they should be able to without the barf people slagging off dry food.

If they want to feed a mix of dry and offal, dog roll etc, then they should be able to do so, without people slagging off that alternative.

If they want to feed raw, then they should be able to do so without people who feed dry food saying that raw doesnt work or is not nutriently balanced.

Lets face it...in the wild, the dog would eat the stomach contents of an animal, which oh my gosh may contain cereals and grains. The dog would also eat the offal.

I get sick of the "barf, oh but there is nothing better" people slagging off those who chose to feed a mix or who feed dry.

So why dont we all just chill out and act like civil humans who can make our own choices. Because we can.

If people want to recommend a certain diet then they should be able to. The downfalls of feeding dried up, cooked, cereal based pellets that don't resemble real food are well known. If people choose to feed a poor diet to their dogs then that is their perogative but it is well within the rights of others to comment.

We know that dogs eat the stomach contents of an animal - I'm guessing there is no bloody Supercoat in there either. There may be small amounts of partially digested grains mixed with folliage - something the dog eats as part of the meal along with offal and large amounts of raw meaty bone. It's a far sight different from setting down a big plate of cereal based food day after day. Feeding large amounts of offal also does not reflect what might happen in nature.

Feed your dogs what you like but you're going to meet with plenty of resistance if you try to convince people here that Supercoat is healthy and good for dogs. I would be thinking twice before I purchased a pup that was raised on that stuff - it's not exactly a balanced start to life.

Haven't seen any feeding regimes being mentioned here at all. The details are on websites and in books, not in this thread at all.

Edited by blacklabrador

If people want to recommend a certain diet then they should be able to. The downfalls of feeding dried up, cooked, cereal based pellets that don't resemble real food are well known. If people choose to feed a poor diet to their dogs then that is their perogative but it is well within the rights of others to comment.

We know that dogs eat the stomach contents of an animal - I'm guessing there is no bloody Supercoat in there either. There may be small amounts of partially digested grains mixed with folliage - something the dog eats as part of the meal along with offal and large amounts of raw meaty bone. It's a far sight different from setting down a big plate of cereal based food day after day. Feeding large amounts of offal also does not reflect what might happen in nature.

Feed your dogs what you like but you're going to meet with plenty of resistance if you try to convince people here that Supercoat is healthy and good for dogs. I would be thinking twice before I purchased a pup that was raised on that stuff - it's not exactly a balanced start to life.

Haven't seen any feeding regimes being mentioned here at all. The details are on websites and in books, not in this thread at all.

ooohhh the expert has spoken.

Good on ya love.

Keep up the good work and best of luck with the stinky poo problem

eta

by the way...just out of curiousity how long have you owned dogs for?????

Edited by stonebridge

Good on ya love.

eta

I know people who've owned dogs for 40 years who are terrible and irresponsible owners - how is your question relevant?

No stinky poo problem here. :D

Good on ya love.

eta

I know people who've owned dogs for 40 years who are terrible and irresponsible owners - how is your question relevant?

No stinky poo problem here. :D

answer my question and I may tell you why I asked it.

Its all about lifes experiences

So you know people who have owned dogs for 40 years....

what does that have to do with what I asked?

Good on ya love.

eta

No stinky poo problem here. :)

answer my question and I may tell you why I asked it.

Its all about lifes experiences

So you know people who have owned dogs for 40 years....

what does that have to do with what I asked?

Because it's not relevant to how much somebody knows about dogs. Some people have the same experience over and over and never learn from it. Others sit back and learn from others mistakes and learn a whole lot quicker. :)

I don't really care why you asked it. It doesn't change the fact that supermarket dry food is crap. :D

I've fed my old girl lady on tin science diet light with the science diet dry food, and also on supercoat dry light and have also fed the 4 paws natural chicken and veg from supermarket or boiled diced raw chicken and vegies and dry food, and haven't seen any difference in her poo's at all except is better when she gets vegies because she won't go for walks now so unless I give her vegies and grated carrot every night she gets constipated and giving her parafin every night wouldn't be good for her. An old dog my family had when I was growing up was just fed on Pal with raw bones and he lived till he was 17.

I fed lady a tin of an holistic brand of tin food bought at petstock once was quite expensive for can food and supposed to be really good?, Lady was that crook threw up couple of times and had runs all night only seemed to get relief when I was rubbing her tummy for her, so much for the hollistic expensive crap, I'm lucky in that lady loves vegies will eat them on their own and have often given her some steamed vegies for breaky (spoiled mutt), Now if the owner fed herself as well as she does her dog then she'd probably feel a lot better also. :D I really think it depends on the dog what others do ok on others may not and what owners can afford and vet told me that science diet and Ukanuba are ok but if you really want to keep your dog's teeth good is cheaper and better to just give them a bone.

Because it's not relevant to how much somebody knows about dogs. Some people have the same experience over and over and never learn from it. Others sit back and learn from others mistakes and learn a whole lot quicker. :)

I don't really care why you asked it. It doesn't change the fact that supermarket dry food is crap. :D

what ever!!!!!!

I dont actually give a rats arse what you think.

It is all relevant to how much someone knows about dogs. We all started somewhere and we all continue to learn.

Judging by your topics you have a long way to go but you come across as if you know it all.

By the way

Do you really know how many growth hormones are in beef, pork and chicken.

do you know what chemicals have been used on the vegetables you use in your barf diet???

These are the same products we eat as well.

all natural!!!!

I dont think so.

To everyone out there.. make up your own minds please.

Supermarket food is not all crap

By the way

do you know what chemicals have been used on the vegetables you use in your barf diet???

I am happy to give dogs the same food I eat, but I would not eat Supercoat :D

I tried supercoat with my mini daccy, (and she would eat just about anything ) the only problem i found is that she did massive piles of poo several times a day

:D :) , so it was back to royal canin with nice little poos

DD

Because it's not relevant to how much somebody knows about dogs. Some people have the same experience over and over and never learn from it. Others sit back and learn from others mistakes and learn a whole lot quicker. :D

I don't really care why you asked it. It doesn't change the fact that supermarket dry food is crap. :eek:

what ever!!!!!!

I dont actually give a rats arse what you think.

It is all relevant to how much someone knows about dogs. We all started somewhere and we all continue to learn.

Judging by your topics you have a long way to go but you come across as if you know it all.

By the way

all natural!!!!

I dont think so.

To everyone out there.. make up your own minds please.

Supermarket food is not all crap

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

I don't think "everyone out there" had any intention of doing anything else other than making up their own minds Stonebridge.

I am well aware of the pesticides and chemicals used on my food and my dogs food. It doesn't mean that I resort to eating fast food because I can't get wholefoods with no traces of chemicals. :laugh: Interesting logic though. :thumbsup:

I love both the vets who I use who support the use of raw diet - one doesn't sell premium dog food in his waiting room. He is an extremely well known vet amongst show people and people travel far and wide to see him for the various treatments he can offer. "Junk food" was the words I recall him using in relation to dry kibble when I told him that I'd made the switch several years ago. I guess he sees a lot of the arthritis and chronic conditions caused by long term feeding of grains and cooked meat.