New Vic Heat Policy

capanash

Guest CaptainCourageous

I welcome the 7pm starts. I hope we can get some A/C into the pavillion at KCC Park. I'm glad to have the uncertainty reduced and the subjectivity lessened.

CC

I like the idea but i think a 24 hour check in would proove to be more reliable.

Also perhaps a site that specifies the area instead of relying on Melbourne temps.

Are they going to get AC at KCC park then??

I think the clubs should have the option to delay the start/make a twilight show rather than just cancel.

I also dont think the VCA should still get their fees when its a cancelation but the judges should.

Maybe some of the clubs based around Bendigo MIGHT be able to look at using the indoor arena we have here if its feasable.

Edited by fbc

the weather forcast can work both ways .....

they might forcast 35 and it could end up being 38 .... and the show will go ahead .....

it's a case of ... enter at your own risk ....

I did wonder about the Levies.... but then they would probably say if they lost levies from shows they

would have to put our fees up .... a no win situaiton :-)

I do think it's quite it's quite ridiculous that the VCA gets THEIR fees still but the poor old exhibitors don't get the entry fee back!! :rofl: :D That is really unfair... :mad

Geez - may as well give up showing in Summer :)

With Daylight savings why can't some of these country clubs start their show later in the afternoon?

BB

This is what Cohuna tried to do back in 2008. They postponed the second show by a few hours (memory fading here) until the temp dropped. However much as I support the clubs decision on the day and still do, there were a lot of people complaining about the delay.

Result is that the Sunday show there were a lot of withdrawals. Some admittedly because it was hot but a few were heard to say that if the club were to postpone the show for a few hours they were going home. So that in many of the groups half the entries were scratched.

We went a bought a generator and fans and waited it out. But then we didn't have much choice. If we went back to our motel we could have kept cool but the dogs wouldn't have in the trailer. We couldn't go home as it is an eight hour drive in the heat so again the dogs couldn't keep cool. So we stayed there with the fan on us and the dogs.

I wonder whether the 2 days prior is done to provide enough notice to judges as well who might be flying in ? ... it's not just exhibitors effected.

Other thing is the exhibitors that travel for the shows if it were the day before at 10am we are usually a long way down the road by then so by going two days before does provide a bit of breathing space. I suppose either one has its bad points though.

If the show is cancelled because of heat issues the judges expenses are already covered by entry fees and as said earlier this is a hobby we are all involved in so I wouldn't gripe about fees lost,and I agree where we are using international Judges then these show should be made to start at a later time,we all seem to be able to get the days off for many Royals. JMO

Yes its a hobby we are involved in but why should VCA get the money? what would they use it for?

Would much rather my money be donated to a worthy cause if thats the case, would feel much better if entry fees left over after paying the judges went to research into breast cancer or something to do with dog rescue, rather than it be a profit on part of the VCA.

Does anyone have any ideas on what they do with the money they keep if they dont need to pay for ground hire etc?

I haven't read all of the posts but does this mean if I fly interstate to a Vic Specialty the show can be cancelled so $2,000 goes down the drain or are the clubs able to reschedule from say an 8am start to a 6 or 7pm start or move the show into an airconditioned pavillion?

Guest CaptainCourageous
I haven't read all of the posts but does this mean if I fly interstate to a Vic Specialty the show can be cancelled so $2,000 goes down the drain or are the clubs able to reschedule from say an 8am start to a 6 or 7pm start or move the show into an airconditioned pavillion?
Clubs will get smart on their own risk management and go for night shows or air-conditioned pavillions or move their shows to cooler months. Those that don't shall pass on the financial risk to the exhibitor.

Looks like a carbon copy of the SA Heat Policy that was bought into effect 1 July 2009.

Not a showy but the 48 hours out did impact on at least one show that was held in SA. A cool change came through much earlier then anticipated with the forecast max being at much as 10 degrees less then that anticipated 2 days prior. I also know there was an issue because they were basing the decision to cancel on the Adelaide forecast max and not that at the venue which being in the hills was a degree or so cooler.

Yep - Welcome to our nightmare - re the cancelled Hills show this year - it sucked that all vendors were told on the Friday night that both shows would go ahead - because forecast for the area of the actual show was within the rules. Then show cancelled, based on Adelaide temperatures... Vendors not happy at all - lots of food wasted.

Also - when writing to DogsSA for an explanation of their policy and why they went against their own policy that says that it will be taken on local temperatures..... only reply received so far is that they have received my letter. No explanation, no apology.

Welcome to a whole lot less shows through January and February - South Australia had only New Years Eve - night time, Australia Day - night time, then Summer Hills (one got cancelled). These were the only scheduled shows for all of Jan and Feb. Weather policy is having a huge impact on show schedule - Autumn International got moved this year from Adelaide Cup weekend in March to Anzac Day weekend in April. Lots of specialty clubs getting cranky at big All Breeds events trying to steal their traditional specialty show dates to get the cooler weather dates.

Have fun with all this Vic people...

ETA: - at least you guys have some indoor show venues as options

Edited by jr_inoz

Its called tough luck & it has already happened to interstate people in SA some from WA