Rspca Calls For Getting Tough With Breeders

Steve

I dont wish to be on the side where anyone with more than 2 dogs is a puppy farmer ,thanks . So i feel justified in defending my position ,i dont see it as attacking people.Before they tell everyone that breeders should be restricted in everything,like we are not already,perhaps they should make a more informed decision and go and meet some of these breeders,then go and see a real puppy farm.

Then see if there is a difference in perception of the word "puppy farmer".

And if breeders of numerically small breeds were to only have 1 breeding bitch and only breed every couple of years-how will people buy one eventually-there will be none,they will die out .Or you can go on a 5+ years waiting list,which i wont even do.

Without good,registered breeders where will people access there dogs in years to come?

I dont think Chocolatelover is too interested in the numerically small breeds .... they would just mess up the statistics.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the important difference in determining what makes a puppy farmer is the reason 'why' large numbers of dogs are being bred (not owned, but actively breeding). The answer will not define the label neccessarily, but it will go towards definition.

But to some there is no distinction Anne,if you have more than 2 dogs you cant give them what they need apparently.

Funny,but i find in my breed,they are happier in a "pack".

I am not so sure of this though. I think it is a matter of what you think they are saying. No-one has the time to put a paragraph in their post explaiing what they think a puppy farmer is. In my view, most think like I do. A puppy farmer is ANYONE who breeds large amounts of dogs for sale. They are farming dogs. What is large? That can be answered with that saying of 'how long is a piece of string'. To me, it might be only 5 dogs, but it is the primary purpose of *why* they are breeding those 5 dogs regularly that answers my criteria on them being a farmer or not.

A puppy farm is an agricultural establishment, where dogs are kept as agricultural animals and bred as agricultural animals, for profit.

I would also class a breeder (registered or otherwise) who breeds litter after litter purely for profit as a puppy farmer. Essentially, if you making a living from it, you are a farmer.