I Want To Get A Dog Too And Would Like Some Advice

RPMgirl

I can't really think of a breed that wouldn't prefer to be inside with their family. I know many people can and do keep dogs outside successfully but I always feel the same people could have just as happily had their dogs inside had they taken the time to train them to follow their house rules.

It is relatively easy to train a dog to stay confined to a bed/mat when inside if that is your preference, and would give you a lot more bonding time together - even having the dog sitting quietly at your feet while watching TV is valuable bonding time and will keep your dog much happier as he/she will feel secure in their pack.

Having an outside-only dog only makes life harder for you as you have to commit to spending quality time with your dog outside, rain, hail or shine, even in the middle of winter when you'd all really much rather be indoors.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI 16Paws, I think I would get one first, then another in maybe six months time. I just want to be sure I'm going about it the best way. I wonder if two rescues that are unrelated could be potentially traumatic, I'm not sure. Really open to suggestions! Liz N

Over the years I have seen many people post about the dramas of getting two puppies together and have never been able to understand why. A bit more work? So what. Look at the love and fun you get in return. Bond to each other instead of the people? Hardly think so.

I was a complete novice when I adopted two 8 & 9 week old puppies as there was no way in the world I was going to get one dog and leave him/her on h/er own through the day. I picked them up on the same day and never had any problems at all. The only problem was me ..... I was a nervous wreck :D :mad at having these tiny lives dependant on me.

And I would like to echo what others have said about an outside dog. I could no more shut a dog out than I could a child, although I know many dog owners don't agree with me.

I am not experienced with large dogs, but I bring little dogs into my home all the time and just tell them all to get on - LOL.

Edited by Mother Moocher

HI 16Paws, I think I would get one first, then another in maybe six months time. I just want to be sure I'm going about it the best way. I wonder if two rescues that are unrelated could be potentially traumatic, I'm not sure. Really open to suggestions! Liz N

Over the years I have seen many people post about the dramas of getting two puppies together and have never been able to understand why. A bit more work? So what. Look at the love and fun you get in return. Bond to each other instead of the people? Hardly think so.

I was a complete novice when I adopted two 8 & 9 week old puppies as there was no way in the world I was going to get one dog and leave him/her on h/er own through the day. I picked them up on the same day and never had any problems at all. The only problem was me ..... I was a nervous wreck :D :mad at having these tiny lives dependant on me.

And I would like to echo what others have said about an outside dog. I could no more shut a dog out than I could a child, although I know many dog owners don't agree with me.

I am not experienced with large dogs, but I bring little dogs into my home all the time and just tell them all to get on - LOL.

Were these two dogs litter mates? I think this is where the problems lies.

two 8 & 9 week old puppies

Were these two dogs litter mates? I think this is where the problems lies.

Nope, but only because I wanted a girl and a boy, and the only girl in the first litter died. However, if I were to go down the puppy route again (which I wouldn't of course - I'm too old and don't have the energy :D :mad and I would always have rescue dogs), I wouldn't hesitate.

Edited by Mother Moocher

What about a Pointer? great breed, my girl is full of energy so likes walks ect but also very gentle with kiddies. She isnt too crazy or over the top, well she can be but she tends to just no how to act around certain people, they are also a dog friendly breed so great to take to parks and doggie beaches without too much worry!

I thinka few of the different gundog breeds would suit! labs, goldens, pointers, some of the spaniel breeds? There have been a number of pointers in need of rescue lately!

Good call Sammy. 100% agree

Hi RPMgirl - I would not recommend that you get a Lab as you prefer an outside dog. Labs are extremely closely bonding dogs and need to be included as part of their family and be allowed inside. Labs left outside tend to be ignored in far too many cases and they end up being left to their own devices, getting up to all sorts of mischief and then become out of control and unmanageable for their owners. Despite families best intentions of interacting with their outside Lab, it fails to happen enough and the odd time it does, the Lab is too exciteable and boisterous, which can be frightening for children and overwhelming for adults, so they tend not to want to interact with the Lab more and more, to the point that the poor Lab is then ignored and excluded from family interaction. :o

So many Lab youngsters find themselves in rescue, pounds or being privately rehomed because their families have failed to meet their social and training needs. It never fails to amaze me how many people have totally unrealstic and unreasonable expectations that their adorable Lab puppy will develop into a happy, well trained and well behaved Labrador when it has had minimal family contact and interaction and minimal or no training :D.

Also some Lab owners who do keep their labs outside majority of the time, may allow them inside the odd time and then have this very unrealistic and unreasonable expectation that this poor Lab who has spent the majority of its time outside is going to be this perfectly behaved Lab inside :mad They get frustrated and angry with the poor dog because it is highly exciteable and running around inside, jumping on people and furniture, chewing kids toys, shoes, etc and possibly toileting inside. The dog doesn't know any better as it hasn't been brought up inside and doesn't know the rules of proper inside behaviour as it has never been exposed to them and shown how to behave inside. Needless to say, the poor dog doesn't get to experience much inside time after shocking and frustrating the family with its unsastisfactory behaviour when it has been allowed inside.

In my personal experience of being a lab owner of many years and knowing of too many instances of families not meeting the needs of "outside" Labs, I do not believe the Labrador will be a suitable breed for you.

I used to have a lab and I still love them as a breed, but they are certainly not the dog that a lot newbies think they are. I know of a couple of labs around where the families were totally unaware of the activity level and demands of a young lab. IMO labs suffer the same issue as Staffords in some regards as they seem to be the default breed for a lot of families whereas they just don't suit everyone. If I had to pick two breeds that should be the fall back for most families they would be the pointer and visla. Both labs and staffords would be in the top 10 but not near the top.

Just my view.

Edited by Roo

Labsrule has said it beautifully in relation to the labs and I echo her sentiments in relation to the Goldie.

I have two goldens and I sincerely think they are not suited to being outside dogs. Goldens enjoy nothing more than being around their family members and always having their nose in on the family action.

Ditto, I guess Id call my dogs inside/outside, they sleep inside, they spend all day while Im at work outside, but while Im home they have free run of the house and the yard...the majority of the time they are inside with me lol

I should clarify my outside/inside position more I guess - our collie x would also sit on a mat on the inside of the door and we'd be more than happy for that to happen (as well as keeping in overnight, particularly in that puppy stage) When I wrote not being "inside", I meant free run of the house. Our house is what I'd describe as inside/outside - we designed it to bring the outside in as it has big concertina sliding doors on 3 sides and the patio is probably twice the size of a standard number...I liken our outside area to "glamour camping" :mad We also have a yard as well.

Thanks so much for all the responses and experiences. Honey the Golden Retriever sounds like a total honey :D

Thanks

Liz N

Am the same my dogs are outside whilst I'm at work and inside once we are home. I have to say Goldens love human company they are dog more content to be with you then left outside.

If you go www.grcq.org.au. You will find out Rescue Officer's details under the Rescue Section. Also there is another rescue organisation called The Golden Ark. Good luck if finding your new dog!!!

Labsrule has said it beautifully in relation to the labs and I echo her sentiments in relation to the Goldie.

I have two goldens and I sincerely think they are not suited to being outside dogs. Goldens enjoy nothing more than being around their family members and always having their nose in on the family action.

Ditto, I guess Id call my dogs inside/outside, they sleep inside, they spend all day while Im at work outside, but while Im home they have free run of the house and the yard...the majority of the time they are inside with me lol

I think if given the choice that is what most breeds would prefer to be inside with their folk when they are home. Just to be with their owners anywhere. Mine are with me constantly when i am home. In or out at choice, but in when i am in.

I think it is a sad life for dogs who have to live away from their owners most of the time, especially if tied up out the back.

I think A rescue would be lovely..Goldens and Labs make such wonderful pets. Especially if you give the older quieter dogs a new home. I have seen so many sad older rescues, just wishing to be taken home.........

You may also want to do a search through this forum and/or on google to arm yourself if you are considering getting 2 puppies at the same time as there are some 'risks (for lack of a better word) to trying to raise 2 pups together.

Does anyone think there could be issues bringing home 2 adult rescue dogs at the same time?

HI 16Paws, I think I would get one first, then another in maybe six months time. I just want to be sure I'm going about it the best way. I wonder if two rescues that are unrelated could be potentially traumatic, I'm not sure. Really open to suggestions!

Liz N

Hi i just saw this post and thought i might add something..sometimes you find rescue dogs where the owner wants to keep them together, atleast this way when you get them...obviously they are used to each other..i have seen some in pounds and appariently its common as eldery people pass away and sometimes have the 2 dogs.

Goodluck with your search

Here is a Golden rescue here in QLD, they constantly update the rescue list, there is only 2 girls available at the moment but you never know if the perfect one might come up, they often have pairs of dogs on here as they are often surrendered because the owner simply cant look after them, usually because they have to move and there is no room for the Goldens

http://www.grr.org.au/current.htm

:D if you do decide to get 2 dogs that have been surrended "together", good on you!! usually people arent interested in more than one a time and you could well just save 2 dogs lives :)

Edited by italmum

Thank you all for those links - much appreciated. From what I've been reading now, I think a Golden Retriever could work very well in our family - I checked out the Canine Control Link as well and there is some great info there I've been reading on requirements etc. And, well if I can rescue a pair then all the better really :D

Thanks,

Liz N

Thank you all for those links - much appreciated. From what I've been reading now, I think a Golden Retriever could work very well in our family - I checked out the Canine Control Link as well and there is some great info there I've been reading on requirements etc. And, well if I can rescue a pair then all the better really :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Liz N

Wow.......What a lovely thought, I wish you well. Go for it there are plenty out there. just take the time it takes :laugh:

If you have already had a Border Collie x, why not consider a pure bred Border Collie? A family with a good yard and kids 7 and 10 is ideal for a Border. Just make sure to get an independant female if you don't wan't the dog under your feet all day. As a general rule the males prefer to be with you 24/7, but the girls are happy to do their own thing so long as they get sufficient training and attention.

Edited by dancinbcs

Wonders about this myth of goldens being docile.. my golden karma is 4 yrs old she still destroys things and is a ball of energy. Not a docile bone in her body sadly. She is wonderfully bred and has been with me since 8 weeks of age. I love her but my god she is high maintenance! I also have a kelpie cross who is much easier to manage than Karma.

Dont get me wrong, Karma is a beautiful dog, but she is hard work and always has been. Not all goldens fit the stereotype. Karma is incredibly demanding and noisy if she doesnt get her own way. She still destroys things, this week she ate some wooden coasters I had on the dining table, last week she shredded a cushion that was on the lounge - and let me tell you one cushion can go a loonnngg way. She has been coming inside since I got her, she knows what is expected of her behaviour wise, she jsut chooses to ignore that at times lol.