We Got Our 3 Dog Permit

IMO it's not overly responsible to not register all the dogs at your property/household. :doh:

All it takes is one person to make a report to council, or for one of the dogs to escape/be let out, just once, and then the council investigates and fines the owner/s for not having their dogs appropriately registered. :bolt:

It took us a few months to get the required permit. This was primarily because Ruby was very sick and we didn't know if she would survive. We also spoke to the immediate neighbours, none of whom had any issues with our dogs. We also keep the dogs inside the majority of the time, they're never outside without supervision, and we have padlocks on both gates.

The second I knew Ruby was going to be okay, I applied for the permit and paid for the application and their registration (total cost of $320). I do not condone anyone not registering their dogs if it's a requirement where the dogs are kept. :eek:

long coat. I have heard of many people doing this, of course not everyone is going to publically admit to this tho ;-)

I think it's a sad situation when the councils do require a 3rd dog in place before a permit application is accepted, the people have done the right thing then their application is rejected and in the process, have the council on their back to ensure that they have gotten rid of the 3rd dog. You can understand why some may take the punt on the "let sleeping dogs lie" basis. That council system encourages dishonesty :bolt:

IMO it's not overly responsible to not register all the dogs at your property/household. :doh:

All it takes is one person to make a report to council, or for one of the dogs to escape/be let out, just once, and then the council investigates and fines the owner/s for not having their dogs appropriately registered. :bolt:

It took us a few months to get the required permit. This was primarily because Ruby was very sick and we didn't know if she would survive. We also spoke to the immediate neighbours, none of whom had any issues with our dogs. We also keep the dogs inside the majority of the time, they're never outside without supervision, and we have padlocks on both gates.

The second I knew Ruby was going to be okay, I applied for the permit and paid for the application and their registration (total cost of $320). I do not condone anyone not registering their dogs if it's a requirement where the dogs are kept. :eek:

\

Do you agree with the requirement whereby you have to get a 3rd dog then apply for a permit and if rejected re-home one of the dogs???.

wow a different world of applying for permits

im so glad all went well for you

what a hassle

i guess there may be a lot of sense to it...restricting numbers of dogs that is

we are so lucky we dont have that

i wonder how it all came about...all these laws

IMO it's not overly responsible to not register all the dogs at your property/household. :angel:

All it takes is one person to make a report to council, or for one of the dogs to escape/be let out, just once, and then the council investigates and fines the owner/s for not having their dogs appropriately registered. :cry:

The second I knew Ruby was going to be okay, I applied for the permit and paid for the application and their registration (total cost of $320). I do not condone anyone not registering their dogs if it's a requirement where the dogs are kept. :(

\

Do you agree with the requirement whereby you have to get a 3rd dog then apply for a permit and if rejected re-home one of the dogs???.

If the council requires it, then unfortunately that's the law. I would think that anyone who has an additional dog (above the usual permitted number) who is concerned about not receiving permission, should really sit down with their neighbours AND the council officer responsible for granting the permits first. I also think this is where choosing the suburb where you plan to move to is crucial - we could have accepted a property in another suburb with a different council, but after speaking with that council's animal control officer who issues permits, I decided it was not worth the risk of having the application rejected. Therefore we chose the house we are renting on the basis of having had the same conversation with BCC and having near-certainty that in our circumstances, we would be granted the permit. When we move from this house, we are only looking at houses within the BCC suburbs for the same reason. When we fall below the numbers that require a permit, then we can re-consider but whilever we have more than the required limit, we'll stay safe and remain within the boundaries of BCC.

On the question of cost, yes it's around $300 every year for the three dogs. This is for the permit ($172) and their registration fees ($37 per dog at the moment). I don't begrudge the cost, but it would be nice to only have to pay for the permit once (and perhaps a smaller annual fee to then retain the permit). The requirements to obtain the permit are not that stringent here so I can't really complain when compared to other Brisbane region councils. For example, in other parts of Brisbane, the block size for keeping two or more dogs is over 700 square metres, which is getting impossible when the average block size in those same areas is less than 400 square metres. In BCC, the minimum block size for a three or four dog permit is 400 square metres. We're living on a 470 square metre block here, which is more than adequate considering the dogs spend 90% of their time inside the house! :angel:

yep application fee, then annual fee $172 plus each dogs rego

and if you move you have to go through the entire process again as it is on the property not the owner, you cant transfer them so a real pain when you rent. All dogs must be desexed so rego is about $40 a year each.

Only on the Gold Coast are you only allowed one dog on a small block, blocks larger than 700 metres you can have two, or up to four with a permit.

Everywhere in Brisbane and all of the adjoining council areas you can have two dogs on any sized house block and up to four if a permit is obtained.

In Ipswich you can have up to four dogs without having to obtain a permit if your land is over 2000 metres.

No, I've just checked the council website for Moreton Bay, Pine Rivers Shire...and have copied and pasted the relevant part here:

Dogs

A Permit is required to keep a dog:-

(a) on an allotment less than 300 square metres in area; and

(b) for more than one (1) on an allotment greater than 300 square metres in area but less than

600 square metres; and

© for more than two (2) on an allotment greater than 600 square metres but less than 4

hectares; and

(d) for more than six (6) on an allotment greater than 4 hectares; and

(e) at any residential premises on, or which involve the use of, property used in common with

others.

This is the council adjoining our boundary with BCC and it covers a huge area in Brisbane's northern suburbs.

Is there a dog friendly council in Brisbane? I'm originally from Sydney and am shocked at the difference in laws here. When we moved up we were in Ipswich and now (after the amalgamation) in Logan.

I don't know areas around Brisbane very well. Which seems to be the best council to own dogs in?

Pine Rivers is a notoriously dog unfriendly council. :D

It would seem Caboolture (also in Moreton Bay) is worse. One dog is permitted under some circumstances and it would seem nearly impossible to keep two. Three? It would seem there is no provision if you have three dogs. :laugh:

Crazy Daisy - Brisbane City Council is the most dog-friendly jurisdiction here that I've seen. That's the main reason we're looking to stay in the BCC suburbs, everything I've seen from the other council (Moreton Bay) is virtually anti-dog once you have more than one or two dogs. :laugh:

• 8 years later...