Stunned By A Byb

melzawelza

there are 24 hr emergency vet clinics so i would hope - should the injuries be bad - that he has seen a vet no matter the day or holiday

VERY fishy... as mentioned i know ppl do their own AI's but to ask a stranger for help at 8am is just odd and screams dodgy to me??

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Janba - I am speechless at your attitude! - I think I would be more concerned about getting the dog's injuries treated than collecting semen!

I have been involved with the Dog world for over 30 years but am still amazed at how SOME poeple view their dogs as disposable items, only kept for profit :driving:

We don't know that the dog hasn't been treated for his injuries or what they are or for that fact how old he is or whether he is red or blue or even if the dogs are working dogs, ANKC registered or just mutts. If he is living with a bitch in season who is standing he may also be very frustrated which wouldn't help him. If I couldn't use my dog on a bitch I would use the "dog down the road" as he is a good ANKC main registered dog and the right bloodlines. If he is just BYBing then I am as disapproving as you.

I am not unconcerned about the dog but we don't know the facts. Some of the working dog people I know could be described as "dodgy old men" to someone who didn't know them and their knowledge of dogs, bloodlines, breeding and training is awesome. People dismiss the fact that good working dog breeders are as legitimate as ANKC breeders.

I first became a member of the NSWKC, as it was then, in 1974, currently sit on a DogsNSW commitee, have bred ANKC dogs in the past with success but now have a foot in both camps of ANKC and working dogs.

Edited by Janba

I agree that working dog breeders are just as legit as ankc breeders, in fact, give me a working line dog over a show brd dog ANY day!

Bu if the dogs are being bred by someone who enters premesis of companies while they are closed and asks a stranger to jerk their dog into a condom, hen I am not interested.

You seem to he coloured by your involvement with working dogs which is understandable but I'm telling you now this man was no legit breeder.

Basically he told him that he breeds cattle dogs, and his male just got hit by a car 2 days ago. His bitch had just come on heat unexpectedly but because the dog had been hit by a car he couldn't mount her. He said that usually he would just use one of the dogs down the road but 'he couldn't pass this dog up because he is so good'. He then proceeded to ask our kennel supervisor to 'help him give the dog a hand job into a condom'.

Melzawelza, regardless of the type of dog, reading your account of the situation this just does not seem a logical practice for any breeder to undertake (approaching unknown people at the boarding kennel this morning).

If the bitch was ready to be served then the person must have known that she was coming on heat well before today and prior to the potential sire being hit by a car. I would have thought that alternate arrangements could have been made before today either with his vet or friends as this mating was obviously important to him.

:driving: I find it odd.

maybe the dog just caught a glance from the car and has just got a bit stiff and brusied, may have been moving OK the day before. Maybe the chap thought that an experienced dog person from the kennels would be able to help - who knows whether his local friends are 'dog people' and could cope with such a suggestion to help him out? maybe he can't wait for the next season to try as the bitch is getting older?? lots of things we don't know about this story!

DOL people do seem to always enjoy looking to the bad and negative of people instead of thinking they may only have half the story. I agree with what Janba has been saying.

Not sure why he would use a condom, most would have some sort of spermicide impregnated into them or lubricant that would be spermicidal. Much easier and better to use a humble old sandwich bag.

As for a hand job - a dog is not human and does not need that sort of stimulation. All he needed then was insemination tubes and syringe.

Nothing [human] sexual or disgusting about collection and insemination. A simple job that is easily completed by one person once shown how.

How do you know he wasn't breeding good working cattle dogs?

Wouldn't you hope a person breeding "any dog" would take the sire to the vet if it was hit by a car?

And I'm pretty sure that when they collect semen... It isn't a bungled handjob.... into a condom..

Wouldn't a ethical breeder take their dog to a professional person or place who does that... kind of thing....

I don't know... but it seems pretty wrong to me :driving:

But your right... I don't know...

How do we know the dog wasn't treated for its injuries?? We don't know.

Many legit breeders do their own fresh AI.

All the professional person is going to do is collect the semen exactly the same way, no other way to get it out!!

Working dog people usually have amazing remedies & knowledge regarding home remedies and the care of their dogs and who knows this dog was possibly only bruised or suffered a glancing blow. We have one particular lady here with working dogs who many of us with dogs calls on for advice at times. This fellow obviously approached the kennels thinking there would be someone there able to help with an AI, I don't see anything wrong with that, its common practice in these parts.

"That...kind..of..thing.."

have to giggle there.

As for a hand job - a dog is not human and does not need that sort of stimulation. All he needed then was insemination tubes and syringe.

Nothing [human] sexual or disgusting about collection and insemination. A simple job that is easily completed by one person once shown how.

One can do manual stimulation , but, no if a bitch is present ,and the dog is keen, it is not needed.

Guest *Pixie*

What exactly is it that you find so disturbing Kelly_Louise?

How exactly do people here think AI is done? :) the dog doesn't exactly cough the stuff up :thumbsup:

janba of course he was dodgy....

he was an old man....they are all dodgy.... old people are! :thumbsup:

he was embarrassed.....who would not be asking stangers for help... :laugh:

he was out early..... all dodgy folk get up early....... :)

i love this thread absolutely priceless.

for all you lot know he might have been desperate... and thought as you had a love of dogs in common you would understand.....

i love how you only have one side, which may not be all the facts and yet you are taking the mick out of what might have been a very nice old guy!

So you guys realize that his actual wording was 'help me give my dog a hand job into a condom' ? That isn't my interpretation, that is what he actually said. I stand by the fact that I wouldn't want to be getting a dog from someone who says that to a stranger. If he had referred to it as 'assisting with an artificial insemination' or something along those lines I wouldn't have started this thread.

it seems obvious to me that anyone that would refer to AI like that would not be a legit breeder of any type. I really don't see how some of you would think that a good breeder with knowlede of health, breeding, genetics and AI would describe the process as such.

Edited by melzawelza

errr so the staff should have let the guy in to get the dogs semen?? And the staff should have assisted? :rofl: Righto.

Who cares if he was a nice guy, you can't go around collecting semen from dogs without the owners permission.

If someone stole sperm from my male dog I would be mighty peeved off....

maybe he thought he should keep it simple for you guys to understand :rofl:

some of us don't 'splain ourselves well. that doesn't mean his intent was bad.

Uh - OK - so the OP is "mentally challenged"??

Well, I must be too, because I would get EXACTLY the same idea of the guy from the wording of his request

Edited by poodlemum

errr so the staff should have let the guy in to get the dogs semen?? And the staff should have assisted? :rofl: Righto.

Who cares if he was a nice guy, you can't go around collecting semen from dogs without the owners permission.

If someone stole sperm from my male dog I would be mighty peeved off....

From the OP it was from a dog belonging to the man not a boarder.