Husky Attacks Child

k9angel

http://optuszoo.com.au/news/122284/destroy...my-boy-dad.html

THE father of a six-year-old boy attacked by a neighbour's dog is demanding that the animal be put down.

Daniel Breen was bitten on the face by the husky outside his home in Kearns, near Campbelltown.

He was recovering in Liverpool Hospital yesterday after plastic surgery to deep gashes on his left cheek, nose and lips.

His father, Peter Breen, said: ''It was a millimetre from taking his eye out.'' Mr Breen said his son was sitting in the gutter in the cul-de-sac with some other children just after 6pm on Friday, when an 11-year-old boy, who lives next door, walked by with the dog on a lead.

''The dog lunged at him. He wasn't stirring it up or anything,'' Mr Breen said.

Yesterday, the 18-month-old bitch named Roxy was still at its owners' house.

The owners would not comment on the attack, though a boy at the house said the dog was ''fine, usually''. Mr Breen said he rarely saw the dog outside and would have been alarmed if he had known it was near his son.

''If I had known that dog was outside I would not have let [Daniel] go outside.''

Mr Breen said his family was devastated and would seek to have the dog destroyed.

''It's going to happen again. Once it's mauled a kid like that, it should be put down. We don't want any poor kid in hospital like ours.''

Wayne Asplet, an animal controller with St George Animal Rescue, said huskies were not known as an aggressive breed.

Last year there were 460 injuries caused by dog attack requiring either medical or hospital treatment. There was one death. Huskies were in the top 20 breeds for dog attacks in NSW. Police said the fate of the dog depended on investigations by them and Campbelltown Council.

Article from: Sydney Morning Herald

THE father of a six-year-old boy attacked by a neighbour's dog is demanding that the animal be put down.

Daniel Breen was bitten on the face by the husky outside his home in Kearns, near Campbelltown.

He was recovering in Liverpool Hospital yesterday after plastic surgery to deep gashes on his left cheek, nose and lips.

His father, Peter Breen, said: ''It was a millimetre from taking his eye out.'' Mr Breen said his son was sitting in the gutter in the cul-de-sac with some other children just after 6pm on Friday, when an 11-year-old boy, who lives next door, walked by with the dog on a lead.

The owners would not comment on the attack, though a boy at the house said the dog was ''fine, usually''. Mr Breen said he rarely saw the dog outside and would have been alarmed if he had known it was near his son.

''If I had known that dog was outside I would not have let [Daniel] go outside.''

Mr Breen said his family was devastated and would seek to have the dog destroyed.

''It's going to happen again. Once it's mauled a kid like that, it should be put down. We don't want any poor kid in hospital like ours.''

Wayne Asplet, an animal controller with St George Animal Rescue, said huskies were not known as an aggressive breed.

Last year there were 460 injuries caused by dog attack requiring either medical or hospital treatment. There was one death. Huskies were in the top 20 breeds for dog attacks in NSW. Police said the fate of the dog depended on investigations by them and Campbelltown Council.

hmmm - wonder how truthful that is? Dog knows, the media never let the truth get in the way of a good story

What the hell is a 6 yr old kid doing sitting in the gutter in Kearns with a group of his friends???

Where was his parents??? THEY should be held accountable.

Why was an 11yr old out walking a husky without his parents? :D

This story reminded me of an incident with my huskies a couple years back. The little chinese kids over the back were spraying my dogs with a water pistol, into their eyes and annoying the heck out of them.

I yelled out to these kids to stop it before they got bitten. They just giggled and ran off behind the shed, only to return as soon as I got back inside. Little they knew I was watching them from the back window.

They came straight back with the water guns and started again, except this time, one was half hanging over the fence. By now Cassie was so pee'd off she tried to jump up and bite him??

Rediculous. Luckily I yelled to him, in time, to get away from the fence. The OH went to speak to their parents, but they speak no english and basically laughed in his face. ;)

Now imagine if she had of got his arm and pulled him over the fence?

The poor dog always cops the shite when infact most of these attacks ARE preventable, and many of these dogs ARE provoked.

I hardly imagine one kid coming out of a house with a dog, walking past his neighbour (also a kid) sitting in the gutter without anyone saying anything, that in itself is a little queer IMO. It just seems too odd to me.

You know yourself what kids are like! social butterflies so to speak. :laugh:

When they showed the dog on the news, she looked extremely friendly, even with strangers. :laugh:

It will be interesting to see what else comes out of this and whether the dog is pts. In my 10 + yrs of having huskies and i have had a few (my own and rescues) I have never come across a bad one yet.

hmmm - wonder how truthful that is? Dog knows, the media never let the truth get in the way of a good story

That sounds guilty in itself doesnt it? "He wasnt stirring it up or anything"....

How common would it be for a dog to walk up to a kid and completely without reason bite them on the face?

Another one wondering why these kids weren't being supervised, and why on Earth an 11 year old was walking a strong breed of dog on it's own :driving:

What the hell is a 6 yr old kid doing sitting in the gutter

Why was an 11yr old out walking a husky without his parents? :driving:

^ This... + 1

I hope the little fellow is ok...

What a tragedy ;)

T Mr Breen said his son was sitting in the gutter in the cul-de-sac with some other children

What the hell is a 6 yr old kid doing sitting in the gutter in Kearns with a group of his friends???

What is wrong with sitting in the gutter of a cul-de-sac with some other children!! You are seriously not going to say this is wrong and the parents or kids are at fault for sitting in front of their house!!!

Why cant a dog just be a 'bad' dog, why is there always an excuse? I dont believe in BSL, but I DO believe if a child is bitten by a dog then it should be PTS. ESPECIALLY in this case where it appears to have been unprovoked.

OH ETA... in my 40+ years I HAVE seen dogs of all and any breed be aggressive.. I comes back to the individual dog. You cant claim that ALL huskies are not aggressive the same as you cant claim that ALL pitbulls are. You cant have it both ways.

Edited by greydobe

I've told many people that unless their child is around 16 years old, they are too young to be in charge of the family pet, no matter how nice that dog is. I point out that there are many morons out there that let their dogs wander and what happens to the kid/dog if it gets attacked? I say, you can walk with your child and dog, but I'm not sending any dog to a home where the 6 yr old (or 7, 8, 12 yr old) is responsible for walking this dog. You'd be amazed at how many parents think this is OK.

It is not inconceivable that a dog can attack for no reason which would be apparent to most people. That is not to say that is what happened we don't know, but it is far from impossible. I'm hardly going to take the fathers word for it he sounds emotionally compromised, further to that he was not even there so how would he know if the kid was stirring the dog up or not.

There is nothing wrong with the kids hanging out in their street that is how it should be, instead of inside watching tv. We used to hang out when we were about that age, all the kids on our street and surrounding streets did, we used to just hang out, play ball, ride our skateboards, ect.

T Mr Breen said his son was sitting in the gutter in the cul-de-sac with some other children

What is wrong with sitting in the gutter of a cul-de-sac with some other children!! You are seriously not going to say this is wrong and the parents or kids are at fault for sitting in front of their house!!!

Why cant a dog just be a 'bad' dog, why is there always an excuse? I dont believe in BSL, but I DO believe if a child is bitten by a dog then it should be PTS. ESPECIALLY in this case where it appears to have been unprovoked.

OH ETA... in my 40+ years I HAVE seen dogs of all and any breed be aggressive.. I comes back to the individual dog. You cant claim that ALL huskies are not aggressive the same as you cant claim that ALL pitbulls are. You cant have it both ways.

Grey Dobe, I'm glad you answered in this way. These were my thoughts too. It seems that that there are some on the list that put dogs before kids. The child was out in the cul de sac with his friends. So what? It's not a traffic through area anyway, and the neighbours are more than likely on great terms with each other. Isn't he entitled to do so in front of his home? Gosh, when my kids were youngsters they played with the neighbouring kids in the street too. A dog should be under total control at all times. That goes for large breeds as well as small breeds, and unless the eleven year old is very dog savvy, he should not have had charge of the husky, especially around young children, because of the children's sudden movements when they play.

How common would it be for a dog to walk up to a kid and completely without reason bite them on the face?

I groom dogs who will bite other dogs given the chance. Two weeks ago I was chatting to my client with one of my cats lying on the table snoozing. Clients dog jumped up and grabbed my cat by his throat - cat gave that dog no reason to bite him so why isn't the same possible with people? Well, I suppose the only reason is that this dog doesn't like cats - perhaps this Sibe doesn't like kids?

When I was 8, I was walking with two friends, when a Lab ran out of it's yard & bit me on the bum, to this day I still can't work out why. Maybe I looked like a child who had done something to the dog, who knows. :)

People remember, this is the media & they have an agenda & we all know what that is, so don't be quick to judge the Husky, the media will never let the truth out & I am sorry, but that dog will soon be crossing the Rainbow Bridge. :laugh:

I don't really care what breed it was, all dogs are capable of aggression.

But I don't believe for a second that dogs aggress for absolutely no reason. There is always a reason even if it isn't apparent to the people watching. That does NOT mean I am in anyway condoning aggression, but no dog just goes and bites a kid on the face for absolutely no reason. We will never learn how to prevent or deal with aggression in dogs if we write off attacks as just something that happens for no reason.

I groom dogs who will bite other dogs given the chance. Two weeks ago I was chatting to my client with one of my cats lying on the table snoozing. Clients dog jumped up and grabbed my cat by his throat - cat gave that dog no reason to bite him so why isn't the same possible with people? Well, I suppose the only reason is that this dog doesn't like cats - perhaps this Sibe doesn't like kids?

Or the dog is very prey drive and was eyeing off the cat from the moment it got in there.

ETA: Getting a bit off topic, but there's no way on Earth my parents would have let me sit out the front of our house in the gutter with no parental supervision when I was six years old!

Edited by huski

Thank you, Greydobe, thank you. Very well said.

I too am sick of the excuses and I do not want to live in a world where a 6 year old cannot sit with his friends in the gutter ... for fear of being savaged by a passing dog.

I also don't want to be part of a world where adults hand over the responsibility of a strong dog to an 11 year old child.

I feel very sorry for that 11 year old child because this dog is sure to go, if it hasn't already.

Souff

My sons' next door neighbour had two sibes, they were fine while youngsters. I will admit they weren't the breed for those people but regardless of that both the dog and the bitch ended up being pts because of very unpredictable temperaments. I whelped the bitch here and only had her for a week before she whelped, never showed any sign of biting the 5 weeks I had her. It wasn't until later that she was pts, the dog went first. I never trusted him, sort of dog that wanted to challenge you all the time. I had many an arguement with my sons' neighbours about the dogs, tried to teach them things but he knew it all!! Far too often these dogs end up with people who don't understand the breed and the requirements that go along with owning these dogs. Same old story, cute fluffy puppies but once they grow owners lose interest in them and then they cause problems.

ETA: Getting a bit off topic, but there's no way on Earth my parents would have let me sit out the front of our house in the gutter with no parental supervision when I was six years old!

Oh Huski, you were deprived of one of the joys of childhood! :)

The world can be viewed in an entirely new light when you are 6 years old and sitting in a cul-de-sac with your friends - all manner of wonderful subjects can be thrashed out in such a plac-e, right thru to the meaning of life (thru the eyes of a 6 year old of course). You can keep a close eye on the street cricket the bigger kids are playing, or the basketball game being played in the streetside hoop, or wager whether it was Kylie or Brandon who was fastest on their bikes as they whizzed around the safety of the cul-de-sac, or just simply chat to the next door neighbour who is washing their car on the grass, telling them all about the new teacher at school or whatever. Life in a cul-de-sac isnt all bad for a 6 year old, and cul-de-sac gutters did have a reputation for being reasonably safe places for children, in communities where people get along.

:laugh:

Souff

Same old story, cute fluffy puppies but once they grow owners lose interest in them and then they cause problems.

That's very true with Sibes, they are also popular with BYBers who breed them with little regard to temperament or health and pet stores who sell them to people who do not have the knowledge or ability to raise and train them in the way that they require.

Siberians were bred to live happily in the tents and igloos with the Chukchi and their children, sure they can be stubborn and strong willed and like many Spitz breeds require dog savvy owners but human aggression is not a trait that should ever be seen in the breed. My dog has the sweetest and softest nature, despite the inherent stubborness, he has been around kids and people his entire life and has never displayed any aggression towards people or kids ever. All of the well bred Siberians who have been raised with good owners/families that I have met over the years have been the same.

Edited by huski