Husky Attacks Child

k9angel

ETA: Getting a bit off topic, but there's no way on Earth my parents would have let me sit out the front of our house in the gutter with no parental supervision when I was six years old!

Oh Huski, you were deprived of one of the joys of childhood! :)

The world can be viewed in an entirely new light when you are 6 years old and sitting in a cul-de-sac with your friends - all manner of wonderful subjects can be thrashed out in such a plac-e, right thru to the meaning of life (thru the eyes of a 6 year old of course). You can keep a close eye on the street cricket the bigger kids are playing, or the basketball game being played in the streetside hoop, or wager whether it was Kylie or Brandon who was fastest on their bikes as they whizzed around the safety of the cul-de-sac, or just simply chat to the next door neighbour who is washing their car on the grass, telling them all about the new teacher at school or whatever. Life in a cul-de-sac isnt all bad for a 6 year old, and cul-de-sac gutters did have a reputation for being reasonably safe places for children, in communities where people get along.

:laugh:

Souff

My grandparents house was in a cul de sac street, and when we were older (10 years +) we were allowed to play with the neighbourhood kids in the front yard but even then we were never allowed near the road. If my parents had caught me out on the street I would have been bought inside and not allowed to play for the rest of the day!

Just because it was a cul de sac did not make it safer, we often got cars zooming in and out because it was a 'quiet' street.

ETA: Getting a bit off topic, but there's no way on Earth my parents would have let me sit out the front of our house in the gutter with no parental supervision when I was six years old!

The world can be viewed in an entirely new light when you are 6 years old and sitting in a cul-de-sac with your friends - all manner of wonderful subjects can be thrashed out in such a plac-e, right thru to the meaning of life (thru the eyes of a 6 year old of course). You can keep a close eye on the street cricket the bigger kids are playing, or the basketball game being played in the streetside hoop, or wager whether it was Kylie or Brandon who was fastest on their bikes as they whizzed around the safety of the cul-de-sac, or just simply chat to the next door neighbour who is washing their car on the grass, telling them all about the new teacher at school or whatever. Life in a cul-de-sac isnt all bad for a 6 year old, and cul-de-sac gutters did have a reputation for being reasonably safe places for children, in communities where people get along.

Souff

I agree, my 2 kids were allowed to play on our front lawn, they walked up the road to their friends houses, rode bikes on the street, up and down for an hour sometimes, they played cowboys and indians - they did it all. Suppose I should be glad few dogs lived on the street and they never got bitten for being allowed to live on their own street.

I don't care if the boy did look the dog in the face, I look at dogs walking towards me to read their body language. When it comes down to it this was a nasty bite made for little or no reason, and the dog should be PTS. Why do so many of you think the media is lying? Maybe it really did happen just like it says, the teenager walking the dog appears not to be arguing the point, and if you want to be picky, what does the comment "a boy at the house said the dog was ''fine, usually'' actually mean, usually does not mean always, it only means usually.

:)

Souff

I agree, my 2 kids were allowed to play on our front lawn, they walked up the road to their friends houses, rode bikes on the street, up and down for an hour sometimes, they played cowboys and indians - they did it all. Suppose I should be glad few dogs lived on the street and they never got bitten for being allowed to live on their own street.

I don't care if the boy did look the dog in the face, I look at dogs walking towards me to read their body language. When it comes down to it this was a nasty bite made for little or no reason, and the dog should be PTS. Why do so many of you think the media is lying? Maybe it really did happen just like it says, the teenager walking the dog appears not to be arguing the point, and if you want to be picky, what does the comment "a boy at the house said the dog was ''fine, usually'' actually mean, usually does not mean always, it only means usually.

Maybe because they have been caught out lying in the past & were never made to post a retraction about their lies. :laugh:

Why do so many of you think the media is lying? Maybe it really did happen just like it says, the teenager walking the dog appears not to be arguing the point, and if you want to be picky, what does the comment "a boy at the house said the dog was ''fine, usually'' actually mean, usually does not mean always, it only means usually.

I don't think the media is necessarily lying, but I hardly think we will get an accurate idea of what occurred from the media. My biggest concern isn't really the six year old kid who was playing in the gutter on his own but the kid whose parents let him walk a dog who was "fine, usually" on his own. Just the idea that the dog may have displayed problem behaviour in the past is a good indication that this attack did not just come out of no where and that there could have been pre existing problems.

I would hardly call an 11 year old a teenage, by the way. Would you let an eleven year old walk a large dog on his own?

Why do so many of you think the media is lying? Maybe it really did happen just like it says, the teenager walking the dog appears not to be arguing the point, and if you want to be picky, what does the comment "a boy at the house said the dog was ''fine, usually'' actually mean, usually does not mean always, it only means usually.

I don't think the media is necessarily lying, but I hardly think we will get an accurate idea of what occurred from the media. My biggest concern isn't really the six year old kid who was playing in the gutter on his own but the kid whose parents let him walk a dog who was "fine, usually" on his own. Just the idea that the dog may have displayed problem behaviour in the past is a good indication that this attack did not just come out of no where and that there could have been pre existing problems.

I would hardly call an 11 year old a teenage, by the way. Would you let an eleven year old walk a large dog on his own?

No way, there are a few kids who walk dogs in my local park, but they are all smaller dogs and even then I think the parents are mad. An Akita escaped from his backyard a couple of years ago and came to the park and attacked a small dog, it could easily have been one of these young children who could have been badly hurt trying to defend their dog.

My error with the boys age, I thought he was slightly older.

I saw something frightening a few days ago, and if I knew the child I would have approached the parents. A young girl (6 or 7?) was walking a small dog off leash in the middle of the road to the park by herself, the dog saw another dog and ran forward so the girl ran after it and bent down to pick up her dog, her head would have been only 12 inches from the other person's dog, how easy for the other dog to lunge and bite her face. You really wonder sometimes, my heart stopped for a moment.

Maybe because they have been caught out lying in the past & were never made to post a retraction about their lies. icon_smile_mad.gif

And how many times have they said the truth?

Not bloody often, they always embellish & sensationalise stories, quoting "unnamed sources", if you don't think the media lies, I have a bridge you can buy in Sydney. :)

Maybe because they have been caught out lying in the past & were never made to post a retraction about their lies. icon_smile_mad.gif

Not bloody often, they always embellish & sensationalise stories, quoting "unnamed sources", if you don't think the media lies, I have a bridge you can buy in Sydney. :laugh:

Is it going cheap? :)

Truthfully, the media does exagerate, and I especially hate the news headlines that often are completely different from the main story, but if the kid had done something bad I'm sure the dog's family would have complained, and that would mean 'conflict!', something they always love.

Not bloody often, they always embellish & sensationalise stories, quoting "unnamed sources", if you don't think the media lies, I have a bridge you can buy in Sydney. :laugh:

Truthfully, the media does exagerate, and I especially hate the news headlines that often are completely different from the main story, but if the kid had done something bad I'm sure the dog's family would have complained, and that would mean 'conflict!', something they always love.

Just to give you two quick stories of the media found lying, one incident happent in Ballarat a few years ago, the paper said a young school girl was attacked & seriously hurt by two APBT's, it ended up being two "supposed friendly" breeds that bit a teenage boy, causing bugger all injuries, but all the TV stations ran with it.

Another was in WA, where the media claimed a man siked his two APBT's on another driver because of a road rage incident, making him out to be the bad guy & the guy who got bitten innocent. Turned out the guy that got bitten was the aggressor & the innocent guys two Amstaffs jumped out to protect him, after the thug started bashing him, by the way, those dogs were found innocent by the courts fortunately, but guess what, no retraction from the media for running with the bullshit story.

There are many more & I can tell you, the media pay people to implicate Pittbulls, or Bull breeds to up their ratings.

Just to give you two quick stories of the media found lying, one incident happent in Ballarat a few years ago, the paper said a young school girl was attacked & seriously hurt by two APBT's, it ended up being two "supposed friendly" breeds that bit a teenage boy, causing bugger all injuries, but all the TV stations ran with it.

Another was in WA, where the media claimed a man siked his two APBT's on another driver because of a road rage incident, making him out to be the bad guy & the guy who got bitten innocent. Turned out the guy that got bitten was the aggressor & the innocent guys two Amstaffs jumped out to protect him, after the thug started bashing him, by the way, those dogs were found innocent by the courts fortunately, but guess what, no retraction from the media for running with the bullshit story.

There are many more & I can tell you, the media pay people to implicate Pittbulls, or Bull breeds to up their ratings.

Yes, and if it was a pitbull or pitbull cross I would be suspicious as well, but they haven't claimed anything like that

What appears to be truthful was a dog was being walked past some children who may have been looking the dog in the eye, or laughing or pushing each other, who knows and it really does not matter. The dog bit a child, that is what is important.

Yes, and if it was a pitbull or pitbull cross I would be suspicious as well, but they haven't claimed anything like that

What appears to be truthful was a dog was being walked past some children who may have been looking the dog in the eye, or laughing or pushing each other, who knows and it really does not matter. The dog bit a child, that is what is important.

As I have posted in a lot of threads like this, I got bitten on the bum by a Lab when I was 8 & had stitches, did I run to the media, did I say I wanted the dog PTS, No, because for starters the dog shouldn't have been loose, same as this dog being walked by a child, I am sick of dogs being killed because of irresponsible morons, it'a not fair on the dogs.

How about the Councils, Governments & RSPCA, spend money on educating people on responsible dog ownership & punishing the moron owners, instead of taking the easy route of killing innocent dogs?

But they are targetting other breeds now, all medium to giant, the beautiful dog in your avatar will also be a target in the future. I'm sorry to be so gloomy, but for over seven years anti BSL people have been trying to warn dog owners where this is heading. Living with an old boy who is constantly under threat because of BSL & the measures I've had to take to keep him safe & happy, sorry if I am very defensive, but when you love your dog you tend to do that.

Edited by mantis

How about the Councils, Governmebts & RSPCA, spend money on educating people on responsible dog ownership & punishing the moron owners, instead of taking the easy route of killing innocent dogs?

I agree, but if people are to stupid to put their kids in seatbelts, drink and drive, take drugs and smoke, then what chance they will listen about dogs in the short term. I would promote dog licences for owners, similar to a gun licence where you first get the licence, then your allowed a dog. But the majority of dog owners disagree. To find a solution that satisfies everyone, promotes good ownership but still protects innocent bystanders seems almost impossible.

Having children myself, I hate hearing about children being hurt, unless they do something so utterly stupid that you can only think, "Serves them right".

I have a pitbull cross (according to the owner) living on my street. The owner is an arrogant, young stupid male, who thinks its funny to tease his dogs during the night, has allnight drinking parties with his mates, never socialized or trained his dogs. They have attacked by current dog 5 times, each time a little worse. I have not reported him yet, but made it clear last time that if it happened again I would report him to the council. I have to protect my dog, each time she was attacked it took time and training to settle her down again and lower her aggression, I have rights too.

But would I contact media, no way - nothing to do with them.

How about the Councils, Governmebts & RSPCA, spend money on educating people on responsible dog ownership & punishing the moron owners, instead of taking the easy route of killing innocent dogs?

I agree, but if people are to stupid to put their kids in seatbelts, drink and drive, take drugs and smoke, then what chance they will listen about dogs in the short term. I would promote dog licences for owners, similar to a gun licence where you first get the licence, then your allowed a dog. But the majority of dog owners disagree. To find a solution that satisfies everyone, promotes good ownership but still protects innocent bystanders seems almost impossible.

Having children myself, I hate hearing about children being hurt, unless they do something so utterly stupid that you can only think, "Serves them right".

I have a pitbull cross (according to the owner) living on my street. The owner is an arrogant, young stupid male, who thinks its funny to tease his dogs during the night, has allnight drinking parties with his mates, never socialized or trained his dogs. They have attacked by current dog 5 times, each time a little worse. I have not reported him yet, but made it clear last time that if it happened again I would report him to the council. I have to protect my dog, each time she was attacked it took time and training to settle her down again and lower her aggression, I have rights too.

But would I contact media, no way - nothing to do with them.

That is my thought, you want to own a dog, prove you are suitable, if you don't go through the training, then bad luck, you can't own one, a win for the the dogs. :)

http://optuszoo.com.au/news/122284/destroy...my-boy-dad.html

T Mr Breen said his son was sitting in the gutter in the cul-de-sac with some other children

What the hell is a 6 yr old kid doing sitting in the gutter in Kearns with a group of his friends???

What is wrong with sitting in the gutter of a cul-de-sac with some other children!! You are seriously not going to say this is wrong and the parents or kids are at fault for sitting in front of their house!!!

Why cant a dog just be a 'bad' dog, why is there always an excuse? I dont believe in BSL, but I DO believe if a child is bitten by a dog then it should be PTS. ESPECIALLY in this case where it appears to have been unprovoked.

OH ETA... in my 40+ years I HAVE seen dogs of all and any breed be aggressive.. I comes back to the individual dog. You cant claim that ALL huskies are not aggressive the same as you cant claim that ALL pitbulls are. You cant have it both ways.

Dogs don't have to like kids, my dog hates them and the provocation is simply that the dog doesn't like kids which is enough to raise a dog's defense. I prefer a dog that consistantly dislikes kids because owning a dog like that, you handle the dog accordingly and NEVER allow the dog to come in contact with kids for any accidents to happen. Too often, people think their dog is ok with kids, don't supervise the situation properly and kids get bitten.

As I have posted in a lot of threads like this, I got bitten on the bum by a Lab when I was 8 & had stitches, did I run to the media, did I say I wanted the dog PTS, No, because for starters the dog shouldn't have been loose, same as this dog being walked by a child, I am sick of dogs being killed because of irresponsible morons, it'a not fair on the dogs.

MEMO FOR POLITICIANS AND PARENTS:

Around 400 breeds of dog can injure or kill children.

Guns can injure or kill children.

Bears, lions and tigers can injure or kill children.

It is the responsibility of adults to ensure that dogs and guns and bears and lions and tigers are never in the hands of children or untrained adults.

Souff

MEMO FOR POLITICIANS AND PARENTS:

Around 400 breeds of dog can injure or kill children.

Guns can injure or kill children.

Bears, lions and tigers can injure or kill children.

It is the responsibility of adults to ensure that dogs and guns and bears and lions and tigers are never in the hands of children or untrained adults.

Souff

Clyde can I ask why you have loose cats in a grooming area?

Sure you can, where did I say that I did?

Although they often like to sun themselves outside of my work area. Is that okay?

Or the dog is very prey drive and was eyeing off the cat from the moment it got in there.

He couldn't see the cat at all while he was here so it's not like he was being revved up by it (plus revved isn't in his vocab!). I've been washing him every fortnight for the past 6 years and have also minded him before where he was fine with the cats. He has cats at home, which I know is of no consequence, however staying here he has always been fine. It was really off behaviour for him, his Mum is now worried about him with her cats.