Teen Stabs Attacking Dog

anniek

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/teen-tha...00408-rt6u.html

Teen that stabbed attacking dog fears charges MEGAN LEVY

April 8, 2010 - 10:41AM

A boy who stabbed a pit bull cross dog that was mauling his pet labrador says police had told him he could now be charged with animal cruelty.

Kurt, 13, said he stabbed the dog three times with a carving knife after it entered his backyard in Melton and launched a vicious attack on his pet dog named Cougar.

Cougar died from injuries sustained in the attack, which Kurt estimated lasted for up to 1.5 hours.

But now he claims he is facing a possible animal cruelty charge on top of the loss of his beloved pet, which he had owned for three years.

Kurt's grandfather Ron Russell said Kurt was extremely worried at the prospect of being charged.

"Apparently the police did tell him that there is a chance he could be charged, mainly depending on the owner next door," Mr Russell told radio station 3AW.

"Kurt's a bit sort of concerned about that. That hasn't happened, and hopefully it doesn't,"

Kurt said he was playing in the backyard with a friend when the pit bull cross broke into the yard and ran for Cougar.

"It went straight for the neck, just immediately for the neck and attacked. Cougar went on the ground then the pit bull next door went for Cougar's legs after that," he said.

"I hit the pit bull with wood, metal and then at the end I turned to knives."

Kurt said he ran into the kitchen and grabbed a carving knife before heading to the laundry door, where the dogs were fighting.

"I opened up the laundry door a few centimetres and got the dog twice in the back and one in the stomach," he said.

"It tried to go for me but I shut the door quickly. It was still attacking Cougar."

The pit bull was injured but continued the attack, only stopping when Cougar lay lifeless on the ground, Kurt said.

Cougar was taken to the vet however he died soon after, while the pit bull was put down with its owner's permission.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said she was seeking more information about the incident.

Tough new laws cracking down on dangerous dogs are expected to be introduced in Victoria by mid-year following a vicious pit bull attack in Portland last month, in which a woman nearly lost an arm.

The woman was mauled for up to two minutes, sustaining injuries to both arms and her face, before her neighbours intervened, throwing a wheelie bin to scare the male dog away from its victim.

Following that incident, Premier John Brumby said the new legislation would involve tougher penalties, some curtailment of dangerous dog owners' rights and extended powers for council officers to apprehend and destroy unidentified dangerous dogs found "roaming the streets".

A 2005 Victorian ban on breeding and importing American pit bull terriers had seen their numbers decline.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%. Leave the poor kid alone, he watched his pet dog be killed in a horrendous way. He's only 13 and will probably be traumatised for a long time to come. I'd would use whatever means necessary to try to save one of my animals if I was in the same situation. If anyone is charged it should be the owner of the other dog.

S

Agree 100%. Leave the poor kid alone, he watched his pet dog be killed in a horrendous way. He's only 13 and will probably be traumatised for a long time to come. I'd would use whatever means necessary to try to save one of my animals if I was in the same situation. If anyone is charged it should be the owner of the other dog.

S

+1

The kid said the attack lasyed for up to 1.5 hours, why didn't he, or his friend ring someone straight away for help?

OH & I hope everyone who read the article got the message it was a pitbull, they only mrntioned it 7 times.

The kid said the attack lasyed for up to 1.5 hours, why didn't he, or his friend ring someone straight away for help?

OH & I hope everyone who read the article got the message it was a pitbull, they only mrntioned it 7 times.

Mantis, I also noted that the word "dog" or "dogs" was mentioned 9 times.

Souff

The kid claims this is what the police told him, the police have not stated this is what they told him.

I am not suggesting his lying, but common sense suggest he might be jumping the gun and taking it out of context.

What probably happened is the police might have said that charges are possible pending an investigation. Meaning, hang on, lets start by figuring out if this kid is telling the truth or not and take it from there.

Mantis, I also noted that the word "dog" or "dogs" was mentioned 9 times.

Souff

So typical of Mantis :thumbsup: Not every dog is like Kenny you know.

The kid claims this is what the police told him, the police have not stated this is what they told him.

I am not suggesting his lying, but common sense suggest he might be jumping the gun and taking it out of context.

What probably happened is the police might have said that charges are possible pending an investigation. Meaning, hang on, lets start by figuring out if this kid is telling the truth or not and take it from there.

Why do WE need to make any assumptions at all? This kid was interviewed on radio this morning. Sounded very sensible too. More common sense than most adults.

No assumptions here Gareth.

This kid has lost his pet Labrador, and seen it die a cruel and horrible death .....because another useless dog owner did not exercise the proper responsibility and keep their aggro mutt at home.

:thumbsup:

I hope they throw the book at the owner of the attacking dog.

Souff

From the SMH:

Teen who stabbed attacking dog safe from charges

April 8, 2010 - 1:10PM

A boy who stabbed a pit-bull cross that was mauling his pet labrador will not be charged with animal cruelty offences, police said today.

Kurt, 13, stabbed the dog three times with a carving knife after it entered his backyard in Melton and viciously attack his pet dog, Cougar.

Cougar died from injuries sustained in the attack, which Kurt estimated lasted for up to 90 minutes.

The teenager claimed police at the scene told him he was facing a possible animal cruelty charge after stabbing the pit bull, but Sergeant Matt Golding from Melton Police today said no charges would be laid against him.

However Sergeant Golding said police and Melton Shire Council could take action against the owners of the pit bull.

‘‘That investigation is still underway,’’ he told radio station 3AW.

Kurt said he was playing in the backyard with a friend when the pit-bull cross broke into the yard and ran for Cougar last month.

"It went straight for the neck, just immediately for the neck and attacked. Cougar went on the ground then the pit bull next door went for Cougar’s legs after that," he said.

"I hit the pit bull with wood, metal and then at the end I turned to knives."

Kurt said he ran into the kitchen and grabbed a carving knife before heading to the laundry door, where the dogs were fighting.

"I opened up the laundry door a few centimetres and got the dog twice in the back and one in the stomach," he said.

"It tried to go for me but I shut the door quickly. It was still attacking Cougar."

The pit bull was injured but continued the attack, only stopping when Cougar lay lifeless on the ground, Kurt said.

Cougar was taken to the vet but died soon after, while the pit bull was put down the following day with its owner’s permission.

Tough new laws cracking down on dangerous dogs are expected to be introduced in Victoria by mid-year following a pit bull attack in Portland last month in which a woman almost lost an arm.

The woman was mauled for up to two minutes, sustaining injuries to both arms and her face, before her neighbours intervened, throwing a wheelie bin to scare the male dog away from its victim.

Following that incident, Premier John Brumby said the new legislation would involve tougher penalties, some curtailment of dangerous dog owners’ rights and extended powers for council officers to apprehend and destroy unidentified dangerous dogs found "roaming the streets".

A 2005 Victorian ban on breeding and importing American pit bull terriers had seen their numbers decline.

Why do WE need to make any assumptions at all?

I would not call it assuming, I would call it "suggesting" a scenario that seems more likely.

I would call it assuming. Just because a scenario may seem more likely to you, does not mean it is correct, so why bother assuming anything?

If you want to assume anything, let's hope Kurt was incorrect about the length of time his dog was being attacked :thumbsup:

Edited by gareth