Teen Stabs Attacking Dog

anniek

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was A DOG that was loose and attacked ......

and its owner's total lack of responsibility just increases the dark cloud that is hanging over dog ownership in Australia.

NO EXCUSES. :thumbsup::laugh:

EVER. :laugh::cry:

Very sensible post, as usual from Souff. It's all very well for people who weren't there to say what the boy should have done - in the heat of the moment one doesn't always think clearly. Poosible the attack DIDN'T last for an hour and a half, but I'm sure it SEEMED like that.

Onece again the resident DOL know-it-alls have to carp & criticise - hope none of you are ever in this position.

and its owner's total lack of responsibility just increases the dark cloud that is hanging over dog ownership in Australia.

NO EXCUSES. :thumbsup::laugh:

EVER. :laugh::eek:

Very sensible post, as usual from Souff. It's all very well for people who weren't there to say what the boy should have done - in the heat of the moment one doesn't always think clearly. Poosible the attack DIDN'T last for an hour and a half, but I'm sure it SEEMED like that.

Onece again the resident DOL know-it-alls have to carp & criticise - hope none of you are ever in this position.

Why did he wait 90 minutes before stabbing the dog? Why didn't he call for help? Parents do shoulder some responsibility here too In my considered opinion.

NO EXCUSES. :laugh: :laugh:

EVER. :eek: ;)

Why did he wait 90 minutes before stabbing the dog? Why didn't he call for help? Parents do shoulder some responsibility here too In my considered opinion.

You can't be serious

Maybe a more experienced person with dog attacks would have known exactly what to do in a crisis :thumbsup:

This situation of "why didn't he do this and why didn't he do that" reminds me of a rape case I read about years ago. The defendants said to the girl "why didn't you shout for help? why didn't you get away?"

Her reply was: "I don't know sir, I'm not experienced at being raped".

NO EXCUSES. :cry: :p

EVER. :p :laugh:

You can't be serious

Maybe a more experienced person with dog attacks would have known exactly what to do in a crisis :laugh:

This situation of "why didn't he do this and why didn't he do that" reminds me of a rape case I read about years ago. The defendants said to the girl "why didn't you shout for help? why didn't you get away?"

Her reply was: "I don't know sir, I'm not experienced at being raped".

Not quite the same, but yes dog attacks can be scarey enough to warrant some shock, they are not nice at all. However one thing all dog owners should be ready for is the fact that some dog may attack your dog, what are you going to do? wait an hour and a half?..hmmmm i think not.

Far too many people take dog ownership too lightly and do not comprehend a dogs world and as a result this is what we read in the headlines all too often, and it's the dogs who get blamed not their owners. 2 dead dogs, 2 owners probably none the wiser or scared for life against certain breeds.

I don't think anyone should rush to attack/defend in this case. But all should shed a tear. Seems like a relatively defenseless dog died, a kid that loved the dog had to watch. WHO CARES if it was 30 minutes or an hour and a half. I'm sure it was eternity for the poor kid. I don't think blame is going to get us far. Likely that the council has put an impossible job on the ranger and the ranger is not doing the hard parts . . . and will probably quit soon to take on a job with higher pay and less difficult responsibilities. We have a system that doesn't work in many Australian councils. If we don't fix the system, we're chasing our tails.

Only on DOL can a victim of a dog attack be made out to be the bad one.

The dog was loose and attacked - that is offence enough.

When I joined DOL, I asked what I should do if my dog was attacked. There were a range of responses, so there is no consensus even in the dog community.

I don't think anyone should rush to attack/defend in this case. But all should shed a tear. Seems like a relatively defenseless dog died, a kid that loved the dog had to watch. WHO CARES if it was 30 minutes or an hour and a half. I'm sure it was eternity for the poor kid. I don't think blame is going to get us far. Likely that the council has put an impossible job on the ranger and the ranger is not doing the hard parts . . . and will probably quit soon to take on a job with higher pay and less difficult responsibilities. We have a system that doesn't work in many Australian councils. If we don't fix the system, we're chasing our tails.

Well said. Another thing that should not be overlooked is the fact that the boy in question is a child, who took on an enormous responsibility who showed his maturity even during this horrific incident. This is something he will have to live with for a long time.

In my considered opinion there are plenty of unanswered questions in this scenario. If they remain unanswered then the whole episode is bound to be repeated again. But why should the bleeding hearts care. He killed a Pit that deserved to die. Time we had a special investigative unit to look into dog attacks so we can learn and educate about them. If the dog wasn't called a PB we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

In my considered opinion there are plenty of unanswered questions in this scenario. If they remain unanswered then the whole episode is bound to be repeated again. But why should the bleeding hearts care. He killed a Pit that deserved to die. Time we had a special investigative unit to look into dog attacks so we can learn and educate about them. If the dog wasn't called a PB we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Why not? It wouldn't matter what breed the dog was. The fact is, unprovoked, it killed a dog, and given the chance, most likely would have done the same to the kids living next door, if not someone in the neighborhood. The killer dog got what he deserved, and now the owner should also get his punishment.

Why not? It wouldn't matter what breed the dog was. The fact is, unprovoked, it killed a dog, and given the chance, most likely would have done the same to the kids living next door, if not someone in the neighborhood. The killer dog got what he deserved, and now the owner should also get his punishment.

Wow, I wasn't there, you obviously were! Was the dog tormented in the past? Where were the parents? Why wasn't there adequate fencing? What breed was the dog? Was it suffering from a brain tumour? Why was the poor dog allowed to suffer for an hour and a half? Dogs are voiceless. If these cases are not properly investigated they are bound to be repeated. But what the heck, no one really seems to care except wear their heart on their sleeve for all to see how caring they are. We don't have dog problems, we have people problems.

I don't actually care if the dog had a brain tumour or was tormented in the past or what breed it was or if it had an unhappy childhood or woke up on the wrong side of the bed or whatever the current excuse is.

We all know that a farmer can kill dogs he finds attacking his stock. We all understand that if we don't want our dogs to be shot by farmers, we need to take responsibility and not let our dogs roam and harass stock.

This is no different. The dog was loose, it was attacking someone else's animal, and he took the initiative and defended his animal. Well, good on him I say.

Sad for the roaming dog, but perhaps the owner should have taken a little bit more care of it, especially if they knew it was dog aggressive.

Edited by Staranais

I don't actually care if the dog had a brain tumour or was tormented in the past or what breed it was or if it had an unhappy childhood or woke up on the wrong side of the bed or whatever the current excuse is.

We all know that a farmer can kill dogs he finds attacking his stock. We all understand that if we don't want our dogs to be shot by farmers, we need to take responsibility and not let our dogs roam and harass stock.

This is no different. The dog was loose, it was attacking someone else's animal, and he took the initiative and defended his animal. Well, good on him I say.

Sad for the roaming dog, but perhaps the owner should have taken a little bit more care of it, especially if they knew it was dog aggressive.

Sad for all concerned and I hope the child doesnt have on going problems with it all

from the news also said the teen also had a brother or friend ( cant remember which ) who suffered hemapheliac ( a bleeder ) and as much as he was concerned for his dog he was also very concerned about the other person who could have bled to death if the dog got him as well

so very sad

Wow, I wasn't there, you obviously were! Was the dog tormented in the past? Where were the parents? Why wasn't there adequate fencing? What breed was the dog? Was it suffering from a brain tumour? Why was the poor dog allowed to suffer for an hour and a half? Dogs are voiceless. If these cases are not properly investigated they are bound to be repeated. But what the heck, no one really seems to care except wear their heart on their sleeve for all to see how caring they are. We don't have dog problems, we have people problems.

Who are you referring to? Nobody was there except the kids and two dogs. In my opinion this young lad did a fantastic job to try and save his dog and the other kids.

Who are you referring to? Nobody was there except the kids and two dogs. In my opinion this young lad did a fantastic job to try and save his dog and the other kids.

From what was reported on the news, the dog broke through the fence from next door. Fencing is the responsibility of BOTH land owners. The killer dog burst through into the back yard of the neighbour. The killer dog's owner also shirked his responsibilities yet again.

In my book, statements like this entrench the widespread prejudice against APBTs and the people who own and love the breed.

I don't see how answering the unanswered questions will prevent a repeat. There are idiots out there who harbor aggressive dogs with inadequate fencing . . . or allow them to roam the streets. There will continue to be ugly incidents. With or without BSL. Bull breeds will continue to show up, but so will lots of other breeds and cross breeds.

Calling people 'bleeding hearts' for responding to a horrible incident simply tarnishes your own name.

Edited by sandgrubber

Lol two doggies.

The "killer dog" "got what it deserved" ?

"most likely would have done the same to the kids living next door" ?

Your talking about a dog that attacked another dog. You make it sound like your talking about Ivan Milat. You should be a journalist.