Teen Stabs Attacking Dog

anniek

While this is almost too horrifying to contemplate and I feel so sorry for the family and that poor dog I hope that the irresponsible owners of the attacking dog are de3alt with severely.

I too hope that the attack didn't go on for 90 minutes, which is also very difficult to comprehend. I wonder where his friend was during this time? I think it is important that we teach our kids the importance of dialing 000 in emergencies and I believe this case that would have been justified.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: i just seen this now and didnt know anything bout this story (tv been off all day) BUT if it is the pitbull x that is constantly wandering the streets here in melton acting very aggresive towards many dogs it meets then i hope the owners do get charged and 2nd of all why didnt melton council do anything before this happened? myself and ppl in my area have reported this dog so many times and all i ever get told is a ranger will be sent out which has NEVER happened.

:thumbsup: i just seen this now and didnt know anything bout this story (tv been off all day) BUT if it is the pitbull x that is constantly wandering the streets here in melton acting very aggresive towards many dogs it meets then i hope the owners do get charged and 2nd of all why didnt melton council do anything before this happened? myself and ppl in my area have reported this dog so many times and all i ever get told is a ranger will be sent out which has NEVER happened.

Tell teh media and then maybe they'll do something?

I just rehomed a foster dog to a family who's 3 yr old son was quite recently attacked & bitten on the face by a local Pitbull X, they owned 2 gorgeous GS's but sadly had to rehome them due to their sons fear of large dogs now..she is apparently still battling with her Council Rangers as she has seen the dog since wandering again, called them but they said they were too busy at the time to go pick the dog up.. :laugh:

I think this boy in the news was extremely brave for a 13yr old and I imagine his friend was probably too terrified to think let alone move. As for making a phone call during the attack, in hindsight that may sound good but during such a horrible, devastating event for such a young boy to experience, I really doubt that it even entered his mind, he was just doing his best to save his dog & in my opinion I think he made a bloody good effort! Considering how long it tends to take Police to turn up anyway I doubt it would have made a difference sadly for Cougar.. :)

I saw an interview with this boy on the TV last night. It mentioned that he was looking after his younger siblings, one a haemophiliac (sp?) He was very concerned about getting him into the house as he recognised that an injury from the dog would be fatal for his brother.

He seemed quite a mature boy

At the end of the story, he showed off his new puppy, a small terrier x

Whilst I feel very sorry for the boy and his family as this is a very traumatic event.Trying to stab a dog to death while it is fighting with another dog or attacking it is not a very smart thing to do.Whilst many might be praising him I think there are other things he could have done like call for help, go to a neghbours house and raise the alarm.What was he doing for 90 minutes? He said he was scared about his siblings.If they were inside the house then there was no threat to them.I realise he is only 13 and probably panicked but he is very very lucky he did not sustain any serious injuries.If I was a dog and someone plunged a knife into me I know what I would do to them.

At the end of the day only those who were there no what happened.Fortuantely no people were injured not so fortunate for the dog.Once again people not containing there dog which is there responsibility regardless of breed.

I too am wondering why, if the attack went for over an hour, why the lad did not phone someone!!! ??

R I P dogs.

maybe it seemed that long but was shorter?

If a dog attacked one of mine, I would do WHATEVER it took to defend them. To put if bluntly, I wouldn't bat an eye lid about killing a dog that came onto my property and tried to kill one of mine.

It may get me hurt, but I couldn't stand by and do nothing. I doubt the police would come unless the dog was attacking a human.

I saw an interview with this boy on the TV last night. It mentioned that he was looking after his younger siblings, one a haemophiliac (sp?) He was very concerned about getting him into the house as he recognised that an injury from the dog would be fatal for his brother.

He seemed quite a mature boy

At the end of the story, he showed off his new puppy, a small terrier x

Also watched it, but it was reported as a Mastiff not a Pit Bull. Just wondering where the parents where when the interview was taking place? All the kids were on the TV but no adults? :)

Why did the incident have to occur before they got the fence fixed? :laugh:

Maybe the boy thought it would be best to stay and help his dog not leaving it alone to get killed.

Lucky the boy didn't get attacked or bitten himself.

In the interview (channel 9) last night the boy said he stabbed the dog through a security screen door. I wouldn't think the dog would be able to attack the boy behind a "security" screen door.

Have the parents been mentioned at all - were they home at the time?

Edited by gsdog2

:)

What have the parents got to do with it?

Not that is matters, but the parents were no doubt at work, earning a living to feed their family and their now deceased Labrador dog.

It is school holidays and it is not unusual for a responsible 13 year old to be home without his parents in school holidays.

Had the parents been home would that have stopped a roaming vicious dog from attacking their dog?

I don't think so.

Souff

This poor kid, you never get over seeing something like this happen. He tried his best to help his beloved dog and failed. How would that make you feel?

I would also take whatever action necessary to stop and kill any dog attacking mine.

I am disgusted that they even thought about bringing charges under the circumstances.

The owners of this vile dog - whatever breed it was - should be fined many thousands of dollars and banned from keeping a dog ever again.

I somehow doubt it could have been an hour and a half - but you can't believe everything you read in the paper. Someone was exaggerating I suspect, and not necessarily the teenager.

It sounds like he did all he could and what a horrible experience for him to go through. That poor labrador.....

I noticed someone posted that the boy might be telling lies. About what? I can't see how anyone could suggest the boy is lying - unless he attacked and mauled his own dog causing those injuries and then dragged a neighbours dog into his yard and then stabbed him several times to make it look like the dog did it. Ridiculous of course. So I don't quite understand how anyone could suggest the kid lied. Maybe I've misunderstood.

:)

What have the parents got to do with it?

Not that is matters, but the parents were no doubt at work, earning a living to feed their family and their now deceased Labrador dog.

It is school holidays and it is not unusual for a responsible 13 year old to be home without his parents in school holidays.

Had the parents been home would that have stopped a roaming vicious dog from attacking their dog?

I don't think so.

Souff

The responsible 13 year old was not on his own was he - weren't there younger brothers at home too :) . I've also had to go out and earn a living to feed my kids but haven't left the eldest (when he was 13) to look after his younger brothers. And no, nothing his family could have done would have stopped the "roaming vicious dog" - that's up to the owners. It was odd his parents weren't there to support him during all the press interviews.

Edited by gsdog2

The responsible 13 year old was not on his own was he - weren't there younger brothers at home too :) . I've also had to go out and earn a living to feed my kids but haven't left the eldest (when he was 13) to look after his younger brothers. And no, nothing his family could have done would have stopped the "roaming vicious dog" - that's up to the owners. It was odd his parents weren't there to support him during all the press interviews.

You would have to ask him or his parents about their domestic arrangements ... Souff wasnt there.

How do you know his parents were not there to support him during all the press interviews..... because you didn't see them on-camera?

It is very possible that they were standing with the producer - out of camera range.

It is my understanding that interviews cannot be held with minors without parental permission.

I also know of some 13 year olds who have been in the media spotlight before they got to 13 and they have been taught how to conduct themselves and have better public speaking skills and self confidence than many adults.

Never underestimate the kids :)

Souff

Edited by Souff

Here we go, just because the words "pitbull" are mentioned, someone starts doubting the victim who has suffered an enormous loss and trauma. Makes me sick.

Here we go, as soon as a dog attack happems & they don't know the breed, they call it a pitbull,. Makes me sick.

Edited by mantis