~logan~

Warning - this is long.

Where do I start? this boy has been haunting me since I first saw him in last weeks thread.

This is Logans story. From what I know Logan was left tied to a pole (or tree) prior to being found and impounded.

He may of been there for up to 24 hrs and naturally would of been feeling scared and anxious.

I am not sure whether someone found him and tied him there or if his owner left him there.

When the Ranger approached Logan was said to of growled and subsequently had to be bought in on a pole. He did not like this one little bit, understandably. :p He would not of known what the hell was happening.

Upong being impounded he did apparently growl at the same Ranger that bought him in on the pole but was fine otherwise. A little scared and I dare say somewhat confused. Due to this Logan only allowed to be released to rescue.

I had requested a hold on him last Thursday and was going to meet him on the Sat. I didnt see the pound was only open from 7am to 9am being Easter and missed the opportunity to go and meet him. :p

I worried all Easter. I sought professional advise (and someone very experienced with the breed) and was told it was a 95% per cent chance Logan was acting out of anxiety. This person studied Logans pic and explained a HA dog would not let you hold it around the collar (neck area) and Logan WAS being held by the collar in his pic and actually appeared to look quiet relaxed.

So I decided once again to go meet him. I called early Tuesday and left a message for Anne to call me back.

I didnt hear anything and was too afraid to call again incase he'd been pts. :p

Come Wednesday and I rang the pound and spoke to someone. Didnt get a name but I was advised Logan was getting worse and had growled at someone else. He was not coping well in the pound. I thought Oh no. And thought it would be kinder to give him his wings.

Later that afternoon Anne rings me and apologises for not getting back to me the day before.

She asked what I was going to do with Logan. I explained what I had been told earlier and she sounded very surprised as what I was told was not true. Logan was coping well and was not anxious at all, nor had he growled at anyone else.

She said she temp tested him herself that morning and he was fine, she even pulled clumps of hair out of him no problems. She also observed as another kennel hand did the same thing.

I said ok then, I will come and meet him tommorow. (yesterday) and we did.

Dropped the kids off to MIL and drove out to Hawkesbury pound. It was the first time I'd been there.

I could hear Logan before I got to him. :laugh: He was easy to find.

First impression "Gorgeous" he was barking at us (OH had a Dr appt at 3 so came along) but it wasnt an agro bark, more like a talking one. He wouldnt come for a pat until I reached my hand through with a treat. :)

Now we were talking. He took it so gently from my hand. I managed a good pat as he chewed it up and ate it. He didnt appear unfriendly, just a little shy.

I spoke to him reassuringly and lovingly. I asked him to sit and he made that little growly noise they do and followed it up with a little bark that I swear sounded like he said "No". :laugh:

He then sit and shook hands happily. Huskies do that sometimes. My old girl whose 11 will make a growly sound when I cuddle her. Its not an agro thing, just a noise they (huskies) make.

We went for a little walk and waited until he was bought out of the kennel. I wanted to do my own temp test to be sure. I would not risk bringing in an agro dog, especially HA :cry:

I felt him all over. I felt him from head to tail to paws and in between. I prodded, plucked (his hair), and even picked him up. I also managed to kiss his face. My cheek was smeered with husky hair and I amost got a mouth full of it :rofl:

but it was worth it.

I felt all around his head, body and teeth. At one stage I held his top jaw in my hand, and he did not react at all.

I was more than satisfied this boy was fine and trust me, if I had the slightest doubt I would of walked away. I am lucky to weigh 50kgs myself and I am not about to bring a HA dog home!!! :D

I would not stand a chance.

Before we put him in the car (which he wanted to get into so badly so he is used of travelling) I plucked some hair and I took him for a wlk around the carpark. He walks like a dream, does not pull at all and when I called him back, he would come back and stand at my feet. My huskies dont even do that :eek:

So I was more than impressed.

He enjoyed the drive in the car, stood up half asleep in the baby seat. (Had blanket over it)

He ate well on arrival. He took a couple of hours to settle in his run as he wanted to join us inside. He would howl every now and then. But a couple hours later he had settled and hasnt howled since. :(

He lays under the lounge room window so he can be close and hear us.

This morning I was greeted with a huge stretch and a big smile. :)

He will get a good brush later.

I am so glad Anne rang back when she did, otherwise I wasnt going to meet him. :(

4502355898_c327b57502.jpg

Took this yesterday - will try and get a nicer one (or few) later :)

Edited by k9angel

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K9 he has the most gorgeous colours! He looks like he'd be the type to tell you all his troubles too!

There was some book I read by a group of tough guys who rescue animals in America (Tattoo Rescue Inc?). They took on a lot of badly abused and neglected dogs and I remember reading about how even a dog who has been confined/treated inappapropriately for long periods of time will be aggressive when trying to be 'rescued'. It is a fear thing because they have become conditioned to their bad treatment/environment. For all they know they could be getting taken somewhere even worse so they give off the 'back off don't mess with me' signals. That made so much sense to me as I think dogs in particular are always trying to make the best of a bad situation to avoid total rejection by us humans.

It is amazing that you are able to look past that to see what's really going on and that you do so honestly without putting your other animals and people in your home at risk. I have a great respect for what you do and how many animals you have done it for.

So you put a dog that came straight from the pound loose in your car????? How are you going to disenfect the car???

Sorry but i think thats a hugely risky practise. How do you know this dog hasnt been exposed to parvo and isn't shedding the disease?

Given how many dogs you seem to have I think you are taking a HUGE gamble. Is this how you transport all the dogs you bring home from the pound?

Edited by indigirl

So you put a dog that came straight from the pound loose in your car????? How are you going to disenfect the car???

Sorry but i think thats a hugely risky practise. How do you know this dog hasnt been exposed to parvo and isn't shedding the disease?

Given how many dogs you seem to have I think you are taking a HUGE gamble. Is this how you transport all the dogs you bring home from the pound?

were you aware that HP vaccinate all dogs on arrival???

Depending on size, some in crates but larger ones like this boy in the car, RESTRAINED, not loose on the back seat. I lay down a blanket, which is a picnic rug type thing, it is lined with plastic one side and fabric on the other.

I love my dogs dearly, both rescues AND pets and take all precautions to protect them.

One day I will get a wagon or dog trailer but finances dont allow it at this stage or anytime soon, so until then I make do with what I have. :(

Oh, don't let's go through this again. K9A is a very experienced rescuer, she's been going to pounds for about 20 years.

You are never ever going to have complete immunity no matter how much you try. I go to pounds, pick up dogs, pop them in my car, take them to wherever they are supposed to go.

At Renbury they generally have a "mat" that you walk through, but the last time I was there, it had been moved to one side. At SDCH, they had the same at the entrance from the pound to the Hospital, but most people either went through the offices or stepped over it. I've not seen anything at Hawkesbury or Blacktown.

Infection control is very hit and miss at 99% of places.

No excuse I know, but this has been done a squillion times.

Yeah but that doesnt ensure they are immune, it takes time for the vacc to take effect

Yeah but that doesnt ensure they are immune, it takes time for the vacc to take effect

Neither does a vaccine indigirl. Sadly there have been a number of vaccinated dogs come down with parvo this year.

And I am talking fully vaccinated. (according to my Vet) so sadly, there isnt much garentee any dog is safe these days.

I wasnt going to leave him there to die for the sake of not having a crate big enough to fit him in. :laugh:

I took as much precaution as possible and I am happy with that. :)

Guest muttrus

i feel i needed to write something.

firstly SHAME.to an outsider reading this story we all must sound like a bunch of bored b***hes. :laugh:

here miss k9 angel is letting everyone know a wonderful story and proudly inviting people to get to know yet another rescue life about to begin a new and once again its gone off subject and someone has put up a negative. :dancingelephant:

why can't it just be ALL about this new dogs fresh start and let everyone read something happy? :dancingelephant:

alot of dol sadly contain stories of the ones who didn't make it :) this is and should be about A NEW rescue and

happy stories should not be brought down

in this bussiness there is enough negatives without turning something good into a debate. we are all doing what we believe is the same thing and thats SAVING LIVES.

so i for one will be keeping up to date with all thats new in logans life :) knowing he was one of the lucky ones.

Muttrus, I don't see someone's concern for any dogs as a negative, I see it as a "positive" actually.

Even though a vaccination is done at HP, it does take 10 days or so to take effect so if a dog is surrendered or unmicrochipped, that period hasn't been covered.

It doesn't hurt to take care with pound dogs because if you do get parvo, it's a hell of a job to clean up.

K9 does save dogs regularly, it's great providing you are rehoming at the same rate or you might run out of room!

Muttrus, I don't see someone's concern for any dogs as a negative, I see it as a "positive" actually.

Even though a vaccination is done at HP, it does take 10 days or so to take effect so if a dog is surrendered or unmicrochipped, that period hasn't been covered.

It doesn't hurt to take care with pound dogs because if you do get parvo, it's a hell of a job to clean up.

K9 does save dogs regularly, it's great providing you are rehoming at the same rate or you might run out of room!

I think the only reason I may seem to bring so many home is the fact I put their stories up for all to read. :laugh:

I know my limits and right now, I am at them. I am full, full, full. I wish I was rehoming at the same rate, but I tend to be fussy with potential adopters, maybe why they seem to stay here forever. :)

But I am happy. I manage. I wouldnt have it any other way.

As far as I know Logan was there for nearly 3 weeks prior to rescue, so I assume the vaccine would of kicked in by now. But like I say, I dont take it light heartedly and still take as many precautions as I can. I know the heartache parvo can cause after having Luki come down with it. :) Not to mention the costs involved ($800+). So I tend to get a little paranoid if anything, when it comes to parvo.

firstly SHAME.to an outsider reading this story we all must sound like a bunch of bored b***hes. :)

here miss k9 angel is letting everyone know a wonderful story and proudly inviting people to get to know yet another rescue life about to begin a new and once again its gone off subject and someone has put up a negative. :rofl:

why can't it just be ALL about this new dogs fresh start and let everyone read something happy? :love:

alot of dol sadly contain stories of the ones who didn't make it :) this is and should be about A NEW rescue and

in this bussiness there is enough negatives without turning something good into a debate. we are all doing what we believe is the same thing and thats SAVING LIVES.

so i for one will be keeping up to date with all thats new in logans life :) knowing he was one of the lucky ones.

Muttrus I learned the hard way how important quarantine is, as did many other rescuers on this site. Rescuing dogs is not just about pulling them from the pound, its about doing things the right way, the last thing you want to do as a rescuer is spread disease. Have you ever had first hand experience of parvo? it is the most insidious disease. Luckily as K9Angel doesnt rescue many young puppies her chances of having a parvo outbreak are less, but that doesnt mean you ignore quarantine procedures.

My concern was how could K9Angel be carrying out safe quarantine procedures if a dog was just sitting on her back seat. Also it seems she has large number of dogs at home so bringing a dog straight from a pound that has not done its quarantine is a risky move. Now its possible K9Angel has a fully set up quarantine room/run and there's no cause for alarm, but it still concerns me the way in which the dog was transported to her home.

What you see as me being 'negative', i see as being ethical and responsible.

firstly SHAME.to an outsider reading this story we all must sound like a bunch of bored b***hes. :)

here miss k9 angel is letting everyone know a wonderful story and proudly inviting people to get to know yet another rescue life about to begin a new and once again its gone off subject and someone has put up a negative. :rofl:

why can't it just be ALL about this new dogs fresh start and let everyone read something happy? :love:

Muttrus I learned the hard way how important quarantine is, as did many other rescuers on this site. Rescuing dogs is not just about pulling them from the pound, its about doing things the right way, the last thing you want to do as a rescuer is spread disease. Have you ever had first hand experience of parvo? it is the most insidious disease. Luckily as K9Angel doesnt rescue many young puppies her chances of having a parvo outbreak are less, but that doesnt mean you ignore quarantine procedures.

My concern was how could K9Angel be carrying out safe quarantine procedures if a dog was just sitting on her back seat. Also it seems she has large number of dogs at home so bringing a dog straight from a pound that has not done its quarantine is a risky move. Now its possible K9Angel has a fully set up quarantine room/run and there's no cause for alarm, but it still concerns me the way in which the dog was transported to her home.

What you see as me being 'negative', i see as being ethical and responsible.

I do consider myself ethical and responsible indigirl. There was plastic between the car seat and dog, how is that any different to a dog being transported in a plastic crate???? Its not like he had the whole back seat, he WAS restrained.

And I am a rescuer, ofcoarse I am going to have a large number of dogs at home. I could opt to put them all in foster care but why? I can manage just fine, and they do well here. They are spoiled like family pets the way they deserve - not left to wait in a kennel for their forever home.

Hmmm and many rescuers take dogs straight from the pound unquarantined - thats why we quarantine them at home. Gee I wish (and I am sure other rescuers would agree) that they did come already quarantined. As far as I know no dogs are quarantined at the pound, correct me if I am wrong.

Anyways back to Logan. :)

He is doing great. Settling in fine. I fed him this morning and late this afternoon. He is eating great. Poops nice and healthy. I didnt get around to brushing him today as I had to do my girl Blackie, who is shedding late this year. (compared to my others) Logans turn tommorow, and depending on the weather a bath could be on the cards too. :)

This boy loves his cuddles and loves giving big smooches :) he is adorable.

Anyways back to Logan. :)

He is doing great. Settling in fine. I fed him this morning and late this afternoon. He is eating great. Poops nice and healthy. I didnt get around to brushing him today as I had to do my girl Blackie, who is shedding late this year. (compared to my others) Logans turn tommorow, and depending on the weather a bath could be on the cards too. :rofl:

This boy loves his cuddles and loves giving big smooches :) he is adorable.

Good on you K9A. you are a gem and i for one love hearing your rescue stories. I reakon its great hearing good news amongst some of the sad things that happen on the rescue thread and it is painful when people have to critasize. Maybe some should read your thread on Luki and realise how cautious you are. Great save, Logan looks devine. :)