- How To Get Dog Used To Back Of 4wd

Snowball

Our goldie used to happily sit in the backseat of our little car, but now she is too big and our 4 WD seems logical for transporting her around. The boot area has a cargo/pet barrier, so I assumed it would be perfect for her to be in there.

Now, she really doesnt like it, she doesnt seem to understand that she should lie there, or how to get her balance when driving and will slide around a bit and just not look comfortable. I am worried about her hips/elbows dont want to strain them. Is there something we should be doing? Is there a proper way to have the dog in the back of the 4WD boot area saftley? As I mentioned there is a pet barrier there so she cant jump /fall into the backseat part.

How do you travel with your larger dog in the back of a 4wd, will she just learn, or is it not safe for her to be in the back - she is a 7 month old goldie.

Thanks again

Snowball

My biggest problem when I changed from a sedan to SUV was getting my Dane to jump in I bought a ramp then when ready she jumped in on her own. With your problem I would suggest numerous frequent rides in the 4WD. When I picked up my girl she vomited on the way home and hated the car (sedan) to get her in I would climb in the car with a treat and have her follow me then get out shut the door and run to the other side to shut the other door. Eventally she learnt the car was fun and now it is difficult to keep her out.

Repetitive drives with a good interesting walk at the end will encourage her confidence.

Do you have carpet or something down so she can grip the floor when travelling. It is rocky specially if she stands.

If so she should get used to it. My small dog used to travel in the 4WD under my seat. ( Naughty I know now but she is small and that is where she crawled to every time). She has coped with going to a crate tied down in the back of my new small wagon. They must realise the end result is worth the trip!

Remember in the wagon she was closer to you. The back of a 4WD is simply that little further away as well.

Edited by skip

Your dog is now travelling behind the rear wheels of a car with a harder ride - makes for a rougher ride and a lot of dogs don't like it.

1. Make sure there's a good grippy (and preferably soft) surface for her to stand and ride on

2. SLOW DOWN... especially around corners until she gets her car legs.

Thanks,

Yep, I do slow down - she just cant seem to get her car legs if that makes sense. I will get something to put on the floor to give her a better grip. There is a sort of rubber plastic matt there now, which came in handy as the first 2 times she was in the back for a drive, she weed in anxiety/fear? She had been lots in the backseat of the little car and never had an accidental wee, would hold on until we came to a stop, so I assume it is fear/anxiety from the stress of trying to get a grip. Wish she would just lie down :)

But good to know I am not making a mistake or doing somehting wrong in tyring to cart her around in the back.

Snowball

She's probably not going to lie down until she's comfortable in the back. She may be feeling nauseous. I have one dog that has never coped with riding behind the rear wheels in my wagon.

Slow RIGHT down.. crawl around corners and watch your braking too. She needs time to accustom herself to the rougher ride.

Thanks poodelfan, will do - I will really slow down - watch out for the annoying slow driver in melbourne this weekend with a goldie in the back of the 4 WD :) , vut I do hope she gets used to it, it was one of the reasons we bought a 4 WD originally to have the space for our dog when we go on drives.

It does take awhile for dogs to get their car legs. Spot initially hated car rides and was constantly carsick...even a 4 minute ride to the shops would end up with vomit in the car but each time it got longer and longer before the barf. It was about 6 months before he stopped vomiting in the car altogether. It was about the same time he finally got his car legs and stopped sliding around in the boot. He learnt to lean into the corners! :)

He will also lie down in the boot now when he wants to, but he prefers to stand and look for cows. :laugh:

One of my dogs MUST be able to see out of the window or she will be sick. In our 4wd she sits on the back seat and only for long trips on a straight road such as the highway will she sit down.

We put her in our Mini and had to put pillows and blankets on the seat until she was high enough to see out of the window.

I recently had a foster that had to go in the back part of the 4wd behind the cargo barrier. He LOVED the car so no problems but he still had problems getting a grip on the flooring even though we have ex-convenyor belt on the floor. When we picked him up from the pound we had padded dog beds already in the back and he found that a lot easier to stand on and get a grip for longer rides and could eventually lay down.

I have never had any other dogs actually lay down in the back part of the 4wd when driving around. I can understand why because give it a try yourself and lay down on the back seat while someone else drives and you cant see out of the window. See how weird it feels??

My GSD was only ever on the front floor of a sedan. I can't get him to jump into the back of my Rodeo Ute so I've had to put him in the cab. That's something I still have to work on. Maybe I'll try a ramp of sorts too, problem is what do I do for the trip home? Guess I'll have to put some matting or carpet down too as it only has the black slippery plastic so if I do manage to get him in I'll have to make it pleasant for him?

Can you crate her in the car so she doesn't have as much room to get thrown around. A soft non slip mat is also important.

My dogs have all ridden in the back of wagons for many years with no dramas but they have always had comfy bedding so they don't slide around.

The crate is a great idea for longer trips, but I will try the bedding etc for short trips so I can just get her to hop in the back without all the hassle of shifting her crate just to go to the park for a walk etc...

Snowball