What Quirky, Cute & Funny Things Does Your Dog Do?

Baileys mum

Tilly (Kelpie X):

-Loves laying along the top of the lounge and she also likes walking back and forth along the top of the lounge. If she sits up there, she has one back leg on either side of the lounge, she looks so funny when she does this.

-Tilly loves giving her paw to you and loves her paw being held. If she is laying on her back and you put your arm above her, sometimes while she stays on her back she will use both of her front paws to drag herself closer to you to cuddle and play.

Jessie (Stumpy tail cattle dog X):

-Years ago when I was teaching Jessie to roll over, she rolled over all of the way, so I used the clicker and called it a "commando roll". She's been doing them ever since.

-Jessie will pee outside on command if she needs to...if you ask her if she needs to go she will either go to the door to be let out or if she doesn't need to go she will look at you like you're an idiot or even do a little bark.

Thanks everyone, all your replies have put a smile to my face & also gave me a bit of a giggle. ;)

It just amazes me how smart dogs can be & how easily they can pick up things all on their own. Sometimes I think my dogs are smarter than me, I certainly can't get away with anything with them.

They let me know when it's time for their walkies, they let me know when it's dinner time, they know exactly the time of the day that my OH usually comes home from work & will wait for him at the front door, they even know when I'm going out & will try to sabotage me, by trying to steal my shoes & socks when I'm putting them on or try & steal my keys. :laugh:

They are just so smart & funny, which is one of the reasons why I love them so much. :eek:

Another 'on the phone' story....

MY OES lives with my Mum ATM while I'm in Singapore and whenever I call Mum, Charl will frantically start licking Mum's Wei's ear.....just licking and licking and licking till it is sooo slobbery and wet!

LOL love this thread. I didn't teach Meg to beg, open the door or get in the back seat of the car, she learnt it all on her own the smart girl. She also learnt how to wake me up so she can go pee in the morning because my sleeping pattern is so stuffed from shift work.

Gypsy refuses to do anything I asks and just submits by rolling on her stomach- I definately need to do more training with her!

I thought of more...when Tilly wants to leave the park (when she is tired from playing fetch) she will go and wait beside my car, while looking at the boot and then at me.

If I say "where's my car" she will run to my car and if I say "where's dadda's car" she will run to my dad's.

I was standing in the backyard one night trying to get the cat in for the night, but I couldn't see him. I jokingly looked down at Bella, our 9 month old Berner, and said "Where's your brother? Go find your brother!". Sure enough, she ran up in the garden, found the cat and chased him to the back door. Thought it was a coincidence then, but she still does it every time. The cat, however, is not impressed.....

I was just thinking about this today, I have 3 dogs that are very intelligent , have all had basic training & are fairly obedient.

But of course they all have their individual personalities & over time have discovered that each one of them can do something quirky & funny that I haven't formally trained them to do.

First of all I have my Old girl Jessie, (13 yo Aussie terrier x) Anyway one day when she was about 1, she decided to crawl along the length of the room on her tummy when we where playing with her, (she looks so funny doing it ) Anyway we started to call this behaviour "The Belly crawl" & even to this day, If we say to her "Jessie Do the Belly Crawl" she will start doing it. :laugh:

Next we have my beautiful heart dog Bailey (3 yo Aussie terrier ) He has a thing for singing & also trying to talk. :cry:

I usually sit him on my lap & start singing to him (He has a few favourite songs ) & he will sit there & howl the whole song along with me ( I guess he really loves my singing ) :p & then after the singing is over I will say in a High pitch voice "I Love You " & I would swear that he says it right back in a doggy voice. It just sounds exactly like it. :p

Then Finally I have my sweet little girl Brandy (2 yo Aussie terrier) She has a fantastic knack of remembering words, especially the names of her toys. She has a mountain of toys, but she probably has about 8 that are her favourites. Anyway if say one of her toys is a monkey, we will start calling it that from the minute she gets it, if it's an elephant, we will tell her that's what it is, & if it's a frisbee, that's what we call & so on.

Anyway She may be just sitting there & my OH or I might say to her, "Brandy can you get the Monkey" & she will look at us then she will trot over to the pile of toys, dig through the pile until she's found the monkey & then bring it to us. We will then ask for the frisbee, & she will repeat the action, until she has found it. Even if we deliberately hide the toy at the bottom of the pile, she will still dig it out & bring it too us.

She's 6 weeks pregnant at the moment & feeling a bit sorry for herself , so I decided to buy her a new toy yesterday, A Lion soft toy. Anyway we started calling it a lion fron the minute she got it, & now she already knows what it is . She's just so bright. But's its not like we did any heavy formal training for her to learn this,we just started calling the toys by name, & she just remembered it by herself. :)

So that's our 3 dogs, there's so many other things that they do that I could tell you all about, but then this post would go on forever, but these are the things that specifically stand out for me.

None of these behaviours where formally taught to them, they where just little things that they picked up by themselves, that we have encouraged them to keep doing, which gives us some lovely enjoyment & entertainment. :laugh:

So my question to you all, is what Quirky, cute & funny thing does your dog do, that you haven't really trained them to do.? :)

Nicole

My Aussie is trained to find the carkeys, which is really helpful given how often I loose them, only trouble is one day I caught her hiding them. I was in another rooom when I heard the tinkle of the keys and poked my head out in time to see her taking them of the table then across to her toy box where she dropped them in and then walked away. Didn't let on I'd seen her and a few minutes later I came out and asked her to find my keys, well no searching needed she went straight to the toybox got the keys and waited for her reward.

Another time I had just got a Manners Minder (training remote food dispenser) and was trying it out. It was a hot day so instead of going for our walk I thought she could get exercised in the A/C house by placing the target at one end of the house and the MM at the other. She had to touch the target and then I would dispense a treat and she would have to walk a fair distance to get it. Well she did this a few times and then gave me that look that said I know there is an easier way mum, so this time after targeting she did not go across to the MM to get the treat just looked to make sure it was there and then turned and targeted again. Ok I though lets see if this was just a fluke, so I paid up again at the MM and she then walked across and got the 2 treats. She continued doing this double target for double treats a couple of times each time looking across to check that I paid up for the first target before doing the 2nd target and then gave me that look again. This time when she went to the target she picked it up took it over to the MM and then targeted it. Yep, I paid up but then put the MM away as I decided she was just way to smart for me and it's scary just how well she can think things out.

I bought her a skateboard with the intention of teaching her how to use it but as soon as I put it in front of her she was on it and scooting across the room, I'm sure she's been here before, I hate to say it but my dog is smarter than me.

Wow... my dog Chip moved the target to the manners minder closer too :rofl: So smart!

Rosie's tragic dying act in order to get out of doing what shes told always makes me smile.....and makes it harder to enforce the command.

th_m_five.jpg

As for dog chasing cat after phone rings my FIL's dog did it for years.....thank goodness the cat died before the heyday of tele marketing, poor cat imagine the stress out. Cat always got back though, chasing the dog back down the hall once the phone stopped ringing.

Rosie's tragic dying act in order to get out of doing what shes told always makes me smile.....and makes it harder to enforce the command.

th_m_five.jpg

As for dog chasing cat after phone rings my FIL's dog did it for years.....thank goodness the cat died before the heyday of tele marketing, poor cat imagine the stress out. Cat always got back though, chasing the dog back down the hall once the phone stopped ringing.

Very cute piccie of Rosie & her tragic dying act redangle. :party:

What is it with dogs chasing cats when the ph rings? :(

I've never heard of dogs doing this till this thread. But I've never owned a cat, so don't know if my dogs would act this way.

We use to own a Cairn terrier years ago that would howl when the Ph rings. :(

Right from when my staffy Stussy was a pup she would go in an off leash area with my sister's husky/shephard cross Wolf who is a very well trained and obedient dog. Stussy has always been very inquistive (aka disobedient) and always running too far from everyone else, totally oblivious to my calling, usually with Wolf having a panic that she wasn't following 'the rules' (we often refer to Wolf as 'the fun police').

So one day my sister pointed and said "Wolf, go get Stussy" and sure enough she ran off and rounded the pup up and headed her back to us. Two years down the track and we are still using the same command successfully and I'm sure Wolf rolls her eyes in despair that Stussy still hasn't learnt the rules!

Edward's comes over and puts his head down between my knees. I rub his ears and neck then he turns around and backs up for me to rub his back. Then sits with his back to me so he can have a massage.

He also likes to carry his own lead when it's been clipped onto his collar, at least as far as the car :confused:

He also does a funny little dance when you give him a treat.

Jonty has always had a thing for standing between my legs :confused:

So I turned it into "under" and he will run between my legs - this is pretty much is only trick. Works best when I have heels on, can go bad when he forgets to put his head down :thumbsup: Don't know if it has much use - maybe I can teach him dancing :rofl::eek:

My ridgeback Zander does that as well!!! Maybe it's a breed thing :cry:

When Anouk steals something, Ziggy will come and get me. He knows I 'swap' a treat for the pilfered item (it's the only way to stop her destroying it into micro pieces), so if he sees she's got something he expects his treat too (have to be equitable after all).

Where to begin...

Gypsy will put her paws up on the bathroom sink for a drink if you try to wash your hands (possibly this one had some help from OH, he certainly encouraged it once she started). I've been trying to get it to a point where she only does it if asked "Do you want a drink?" - she'll jump up if she does and ignore me if she doesn't now (but will still jump up uninvited sometimes, sigh)

On the phone...

If I'm on the phone and walking around (I'm one of those people who has to walk and walk :mad) she follows me and humps my leg :D No idea why - she doesn't do it at any other time, and if I sit down and talk she doesn't try it. I can ignore her all day and she doesn't try to get attention, or if real people are actually here, but there's just something about being on the phone (possibly the fact she knows I can't reprimand her for it as easily "excuse me for a moment, my dog is humping my leg" doesn't go over so well in polite conversation, and now the habit has stuck)

She gives kisses on command (mainly to OH). Oh and she has a disgusting habit of licking his head/face and now if I say "does he need cleaning?" she'll go and lick him :mad (his fault for letting her do it)

A recent one is when I say "go to bed" she goes to our bed, jumps up and lays down, instead of her crate which is what "go to bed" has always referred to (this is after letting her sleep on our bed a few times recently).

My JRT has a couple of these

She would always sit right at our feet when we were playing/training, so we used to say "move back Tess" and push her back with our feet, not meaning much by the words other than to talk to her, one day we were in the loungeroom working on something and someone said "move back" next thing Tess scoots back to the other side of the room, was the cutest thing ever

Another one is "let go" we used to always say let go when we were playing tug, even though we could never get her to let go, one day she picked up on it so we thought "bonus, no more fighting for the toy". Except we forgot to tell my sister who didnt live at home, she was playing tug with her and couldnt win and said "oh would you just let go!!!" next thing Tess let go and my sisters arm went flying...man oh man I wish I was there to see that, she was so numb with shock that Tess actually let go when she told her to!