Death-row Dogs Helping Jail Birds

lillim

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-...i-1225852939093

CONVICTED murderer Emma Barrett faces 13 more years behind bars - but she hopes saving dogs from death row helps save herself.

The inmate of Dillwynia women's prison is part of a revolutionary program in which hundreds of prisoners will have access to dogs inside jail to test whether caring for the animals makes them less likely to reoffend.

Already those in a pilot trial said it had turned their lives around and given them a new sense of responsibility.

The eight-week program was the brainchild of Corrective Services boss Ron Woodham, an animal lover who was fascinated with a similar scheme operating in the US.

It was hoped that the affection and responsibility involved in caring for the animals would prepare inmates, who must also complete a TAFE course in animal handling, for life on the outside. The selected prisoners are given a dog bound for death row. They care for it, train it and seven weeks later hand the dog over to a family on the outside.

Barrett, one of six women to care for rescued greyhounds, said the program helped her cope with life in jail, where she's been for almost three years.

"It's given me satisfaction knowing I'm helping the dog go to a home instead of being put down," she said.

"(The dog also) gives you love back. You can't be (loving) in jail. No one in here is really honest, loyal and loving."

Eventually the program will extend to rescuing other dogs due to being euthanased by the RSPCA, with the prison housing up to 50 animals.

The neighbouring Outer Metropolitan Multi-Purpose Correctional Centre will also take up to 200 dogs to be cared for by male prisoners.

Despite the attachment they inevitably develop, security manager Leanne O'Toole said the prisoners were prepared to let the dogs go.

Women prisoners here in Qld looked after pregnant cats for the AWL, saw them thro' the birth of the kittens & raised them.

Also U of Q program overviews assistance dogs being trained by prisoners....& they've said one day they'd like to place with prisoners, dogs from a shelter like RSPCA, which need social rehabilitation & training.

Programs like these are brilliant. Proven to help the prisoners enormously as well as the dogs.

Edited by mita

I agree, programms like these are brilliant.

Similar programmes involving breaking and training wild horses have been used with prisoners and at risk youth, with, I believe terrific effect.

I think if I ever won lotto or something, and wanted to do something philanthropical, therapies of all kids involving animals would be top of my list. Animals have the power to help the disabled, the sick, the lonely, the criminal, the mentally ill, children, elderley, rebellious - a little bit of love and joy goes a long way.

Good on them all.

I'm far from thrilled about the sensationalist headline of the article, but glad that this program exists. Mutual and multiple benefits for both parties. I wish there was more media coverage on these 'good news' stories, it may mean that more people in other states contemplate it and similar programs receive greater funding with more inmates and animals involved. People in jail are an often neglected subject and this subsequently renders them invisible.

Edited by Ms Genki

Apparently this may be implemented in QLD when the Fairfield RSPCA gets relocated to Wacol, which is where a few of the prisons are located.

Yes, & the University of Qld vet facility will be on that new RSPCA Wacol campus. And the U of Q is already involved with the program where prisoners raise assistance dogs. So, with all the players close to each other...prisons in Wacol area, too....here's hoping there'll be more programs set up.