Stolen German Shepherd Puppy

j

The actual article in the hard copy paper is much more detailed. There is a photo of him on the link. Nice looking pup

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local...ca/1800421.aspx

Puppy stolen from ACT RSPCA

BY NATASHA RUDRA

12 Apr, 2010 02:28 PM

The RSPCA is using social media to appeal for help finding Sefton, a two-month-old German shepherd puppy stolen from the organisation's Weston shelter last night.

The puppy was taken from the animal shelter in what the RSPCA says was a planned break-in.

Twitter and Facebook pages lit up with news of Sefton's disappearance, with the organisation asking people to tweet about Sefton and update their Facebook status with a link to the RSPCA.

The RSPCA has contacted police and provided them with Sefton's microchip number.

If you have any information on Sefton’s whereabouts, please call 1300 4 RSPCA or contact @rspcaact via Twitter.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the person who stole sefton knows what the R$PCA does with GSD's.

In the ACT where the puppy was? Treat them just like any other.

We don't have BSL here, and we don't have anti-breed attitudes in the RSPCA.

Edited by Diva

Newbie here!!! what do they do with them or alegedly do with them? :laugh:

Newbie here!!! what do they do with them or alegedly do with them? :)

In some states they allegedly get turned into fertilizer. :provoke:

The actual article in the hard copy paper is much more detailed. There is a photo of him on the link. Nice looking pup

BY NATASHA RUDRA

The RSPCA is using social media to appeal for help finding Sefton, a two-month-old German shepherd puppy stolen from the organisation's Weston shelter last night.

The puppy was taken from the animal shelter in what the RSPCA says was a planned break-in.

Twitter and Facebook pages lit up with news of Sefton's disappearance, with the organisation asking people to tweet about Sefton and update their Facebook status with a link to the RSPCA.

The RSPCA has contacted police and provided them with Sefton's microchip number.

If you have any information on Sefton’s whereabouts, please call 1300 4 RSPCA or contact @rspcaact via Twitter.

A planned break in to steal a GSD puppy, obviously someone wanted it which is great and hopefully has a good home. What does the animal shelter want it back for or making an issue of the theft............doesn't make sense :laugh: I wonder what an 8 week old GSD puppy is doing at the shelter in the first place, I guess a BYB???

A planned break in to steal a GSD puppy, obviously someone wanted it which is great and hopefully has a good home. What does the animal shelter want it back for or making an issue of the theft............doesn't make sense :laugh: I wonder what an 8 week old GSD puppy is doing at the shelter in the first place, I guess a BYB???

Seriously? You think it's ok for someone to break in to an animal shelter and steal a puppy? There are any number of reasons for an 8 week old puppy to be in the shelter: surrendered by a BYB who couldn't find a home, seized by an inspector for not being looked after properly, pregnant mother surrendered and puppies born in care, etc, etc, etc.

Why would the RSPCA want Sefton back? Maybe because they have no idea if he has gone to a good home. Maybe because if someone is going to steal a dog they don't in fact have the best of intentions and perhaps are involved in other criminal activities like say dog-fighting.

Why make an issue of it? It's a crime! People aren't supposed to be allowed to go around stealing things, animals included.

I am absolutely stunned that anyone would question the RSPCA making the theft public and trying to get the dog back.

BY NATASHA RUDRA

yes I'm sure the thief who stole the puppy has the best intentions and the puppy is going to a good home. Maybe people who steal animals from backyards should also been seen as good samaritans, because I'm sure they do it to give the dogs a lovely home.

Regardless of what perceptions there are in other states regarding the RSPCA, the ACT branch is vastly different. Michael Linke, CEO of ACT branch has as his own dog a breed which wouldn't even be allowed in other states.

There is no Breed Specific Legislation in the ACT and there is no push from any area, Government or private sector, for it to occur.

Breaking into premises is a Criminal Offence, it doesn't depend on what property is stolen.

Seriously? You think it's ok for someone to break in to an animal shelter and steal a puppy? There are any number of reasons for an 8 week old puppy to be in the shelter: surrendered by a BYB who couldn't find a home, seized by an inspector for not being looked after properly, pregnant mother surrendered and puppies born in care, etc, etc, etc.

Why would the RSPCA want Sefton back? Maybe because they have no idea if he has gone to a good home. Maybe because if someone is going to steal a dog they don't in fact have the best of intentions and perhaps are involved in other criminal activities like say dog-fighting.

Why make an issue of it? It's a crime! People aren't supposed to be allowed to go around stealing things, animals included.

I am absolutely stunned that anyone would question the RSPCA making the theft public and trying to get the dog back.

The RSPCA are nutorious for euthanasing shelter dogs that no home can be found, why add to that possibility wanting it back???. Further more, what can the RSPCA offer someone in the quality of an 8 week old GSD puppy of unknown parentage and bloodlines???. The RSPCA would be aware that oddball GSD breedings should be met with caution in regard to health, temperament and other factors that relates to the breed.

Edited by Black Bronson

The RSPCA are nutorious for euthanasing shelter dogs that no home can be found, why add to that possibility wanting it back???. Further more, what can the RSPCA offer someone in the quality of an 8 week old GSD puppy of unknown parentage and bloodlines???. The RSPCA would be aware that oddball GSD breedings should be met with caution in regard to health, temperament and other factors that relates to the breed.

Sorry, but your reasoning just doesn't stack up.

I can't comment on what the RSPCA are notorious for. In Qld once a shelter animals has been placed up for adoption they remain available until they are adopted and aren't euthed just to make space. I very much doubt that they would have much difficulty finding a home for a young puppy, but of course that could happen.

As for GSDs and Xs of unknown breeding goes, I'm pretty sure that most people know the breeding of shelter dogs is unknown. The stolen puppy is with god-knows what kind of people. At least if he is returned and rehomed from the shelter, the shelter staff can go through their adoption process and at least try to match the puppy with an appropriate home.

A planned break in to steal a GSD puppy, obviously someone wanted it which is great and hopefully has a good home. What does the animal shelter want it back for or making an issue of the theft............doesn't make sense :mad I wonder what an 8 week old GSD puppy is doing at the shelter in the first place, I guess a BYB???

You scare me, Black Bronson. :D :mad

R$PCA UK murdered 12 GSD's with a bolt gun, :D enraged the whole country. A person from GSD rescue UK said the R$PCA didn't even try to find homes or even contact them. ;) :rofl::rofl:

A NSW R$PCA Inspector seized and nursed back to health a GSD, kept the dog with his own family for 10mths and gave the GSD to a woman who had lost her dog.

About 8 weeks later the woman claimed the GSD was too protective of her so this R$PCA Inspector put to sleep this poor dog. :cry: :D :mad the R$PCA had the hide to say it was a wonderful story. :thumbsup:

A couple of years ago the R$PCA claimed they had all these GSD's, but when you go to the shelter the GSD's are not there because they're fertilizer. :cool:

It doesn't mater which country the R$PCA is in because are all the bloody same. :mad:mad:mad

Edited by tarope

It doesn't mater which country the R$PCA is in because are all the bloody same. :D ;) :cool:

No. ACT RSPCA is not 'the same'.

Such generalisations are much more likely to damage the local scene here than to help.

I repeat, no BSL here. No breed bias in the RSPCA. An RSPCA that rehomes APBT. And that certainly rehomes GSD.

One place in the country that it isn't a problem, and people that don't live here still can't leave it alone. :thumbsup:

It doesn't mater which country the R$PCA is in because are all the bloody same. :D ;) :cool:

No. ACT RSPCA is not 'the same'.

Such generalisations are much more likely to damage the local scene here than to help.

I repeat, no BSL here. No breed bias in the RSPCA. An RSPCA that rehomes APBT. And that certainly rehomes GSD.

One place in the country that it isn't a problem, and people that don't live here still can't leave it alone. :thumbsup:

Amen Diva. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and our local RSPCA is not like others.

Quite. Please don't tar everyone with the same brush. The experience you have with your local RSPCA belongs to that shelter only. Opinions expressed by others in relation to other shelters are their opinions.

Obviously, this is my opinion, as it relates to the ACT shelter.

You would be hard pressed to find any bad reports from people who reside in the ACT and deal with the ACT Shelter. It's easy enough to bad mouth a place based on your experience with another organisation of the same name, but you are effectively doing what BSL does. Saying that it's the breed.

Not all Bull breed dogs are bad, just as not all RSPCA shelters are managed in the same fashion.

Please limit your opinions of organisations to the one that you have direct knowledge of, rather than opinions expressed by others.

Disclaimer - I have no personal, political or otherwise affiliation with ACT RSPCA. I am just sick of hearing people bad mouth ALL shelters based on actions of others.

Some strange ideas indeed...

For the sane ones out there:

This was a lovely puppy. I had met him and he was very nice indeed. An unclaimed stray, big boned, happy and beautiful.

It is not nice to wonder where he ended up and staff at RSPCA would dearly love to know he is safe and sound - as would legitimate people who may have been interested in adopting him through lawful channels.

If anyone sees or hears anything please let RSPCA ACT know.

ETA - like j I'll add a discaimer. Yes I do have an affiliation with RSPCA ACT, and am proud to. That doesn't lessen my concern for the pup's welfare.

Thanks j for posting this topic. :thumbsup:

Edited by Alyosha

I totally agree - you cannot make comments on RSPCA's across Australia as though they are one entity. They differ greatly in personnel, resourcing, philosophy on some things and certainly on policies on some issues. Here in the ACT (and no doubt at other individual RSPCA shelters around Australia) we have a right to be proud.

Don't believe me? Check out the attached research (article 2 of a set of 2 on Australian pet statistics) I did on Australian stats earlier this year for a different forum. You might be suprised.

shelter_stats.doc

I totally agree - you cannot make comments on RSPCA's across Australia as though they are one entity. They differ greatly in personnel, resourcing, philosophy on some things and certainly on policies on some issues. Here in the ACT (and no doubt at other individual RSPCA shelters around Australia) we have a right to be proud.

Don't believe me? Check out the attached research (article 2 of a set of 2 on Australian pet statistics) I did on Australian stats earlier this year for a different forum. You might be suprised.

shelter_stats.doc

· 70,514 dogs were received nationally by the RSPCA in the financial year 07/08

Over a five year period from 03/04 to 07/08 the number of dogs finding themselves under the RSPCAs care has increased by 4.5% meaning that in 07/08 11,920 more dogs were in this situation than in 03/04. The number of dogs reclaimed or rehomed had also increased (by 2.21%) but not as much as the number of dogs having euthanased (up by 8.91%).

Its over a four year period :thumbsup:

The long term trend is different, the number of dogs has actually declined.

Dog intake 97-98 was 80,776.

so there has been a 12.7% REDUCTION in the number of dogs finding themselves under RSPCA care.

And if we compare it to 08-09 data (intake of 69,383),

there has been a 14.1% REDUCTION in the number of dogs finding themselves under RSPCA care since 1997.

The significant difference between dog and cat data, is that most cats which enter the RSPCA are unowned

whereas most dogs have been owned.

Edited by lilli