Spin-off From Pack Leader Thread

Henrietta

Hi everyone,

I didn't want to interrupt the other thread, but it did get me thinking.

I have always fed the dogs separately. Every now and again they will get a treat in the living room but they are at separate ends and are watched like hawks. Meals have always been fed separately. If I couldn't separate from other ends of the house or one in, one out etc, I would crate.

Am I wrong in my approach and am I actually running the risk of causing resource guarding?

I obviously got this off my parents who fed their dogs separately, from each other and also young children.

Could this be detrimental? Should dogs be able to eat together? I feel like I have missed something from dog ownership 101. Can you guys educate me about this?

I am quite happy to keep doing what I am doing, it is no hassle to me... but am I doing more harm than good?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If its working, why change it.

My dogs can see each other when they eat but I supervise.

For treats, I can feed each in turn together with no conflict. They know the rules.. no treats if you misbehave.

ETA: I totally support separating feeding dogs from children

Edited by poodlefan

By what mechanism do you think that feeding your dogs separately might cause resource guarding?

Or flip it around, by what mechanism do you think that feeding dogs together might cause resource guarding?

Most dogs can be taught to eat together, but feeding them apart is fool-proof.

I think alot depends on the dogs AND the owners general leadership ability. What i do below is not what i would recommend to all my clients.

I have 5 dogs and they all eat together- treats, dry food and bones. They are supervised indirectly- i may watch from inside or the next room just to ensure the 2 cattle dog x's don't eat the big guys food that he leaves- as he can be fussy and will walk off from dry food.

No one is allowed to steal from each other and i will step in if anyone tries- not that the older guys do but the new puppy thinks it might be worth a shot. :D One of the dogs used to have mild resource guarding behaviour with the other dogs but since ensuring no one tries to steal from her, she is much more relaxed and i haven't seen any guarding behaviour for probably 3 years, even when the others walk close to her or eat their own food close to her.

Growing up with a lot of dogs... it all came down to the dog. Some is alright eating together and there are some who has to eat by themselves.

If I got another puppy right now.. I will be feeding them separately. Charlie is a picky eater and is on a special diet. He also only gets fed once a day. Whereas the puppy will need to eat 3 times a day.

ETA: I totally support separating feeding dogs from children

Me too. 100% at all times.

What causes resource guarding? I know that it is a 'normal' canine behaviour, but not necessarily acceptable... but what triggers it?

I am similar with the Pugs Cosmolo. I have 3 (but have had up to 5) together. They are each spaced about 1 metre apart. They each know that they have their own bowl and they are not to go to another's. I do hover and watch as I have to ensure that the right dog gets the right meds.

We don;t really give treats, apart from spiknling kibble on the ground for them outside when I am leaving the house. They all run around trying to gobble up as many little crunchies as they can before the others get them and it is rare they will end up in a tiff over it. Boofy is te most dominant and he and Olivia will occassionaly get in a scrap at this time, bt is is only very ocassionally and it is more noise than anything else.

I would say that way more than half of the Pugs I have come acorss have food aggression but only to other dogs.

I am sure if I wasn't there to supervise, there would be many battles over food bowls though.

Not just the temperament of the dogs, but the temperament of the owner too. Some people aren't cut out to have multi dog households or to identify and quash any potential issues so prevention, excellent and sensible management is the best option here.

By what mechanism do you think that feeding your dogs separately might cause resource guarding?

Or flip it around, by what mechanism do you think that feeding dogs together might cause resource guarding?

Most dogs can be taught to eat together, but feeding them apart is fool-proof.

See my understanding of resource guarding is pretty limited. I would say that feeding separately may cause resource guarding because if a dog has never had to share that particular resource before (food) and all of a sudden their housemate is in their space, they may feel the need to guard...

Not just the temperament of the dogs, but the temperament of the owner too. Some people aren't cut out to have multi dog households or to identify and quash any potential issues so prevention, excellent and sensible management is the best option here.

Thanks, I understand that. I would feel more comfortable with prevention and management myself so I think I'll just go along my merry way doing just that. :D At least until I have some more knowledge and experience.

I don't know if feeding separately would cause resource guarding. I think the behaviour is probably already there, but you wouldn't see it because the dog has nothing to guard against IYKWIM?

When I was working at a boarding kennel we had a Golden Retriever come in. He was fine with people and other dogs. But when it came to dinner time, he would scoff his food and then lunge, bark and growl at the dog eating in the next kennel. He was from a single dog household and we had to warn his owners about it in case they ever got another dog. The owners had never seen him display that behaviour and were shocked when we told them.

Edited by gila

We have 3 dogs and dinners are all given sep so that they can each eat in peace I have one delicate eater and two hoovers so we try to make sure that they all have a decent meal

Having said that the two hoovers will also get fat if they get the chance so in the interest of good health we do sep them ,

When we go away they are often fed in the same room with no issues I just prefer not to have to tell the two piggies that Keisha has a right to her dinner ( she will walk away and leave half her food in the bowl )

with bones they are given them together and all spread out to eat as suits them . treats mean that I have 3 doggies drooling on my feet all have a treat each .

As the dynamics stand in our yard if you have it its yours , if you walk off and leave it its whoever gets it first has it

have yet to see any harm with mine from this but with more than one dog with equal desire for something you could well have an issue , if it works for you why change it ?

the only resource that gets guarded around here is the old dogs sheepskin blanket he no share the bed ( might be because the other 2 ratbags ripped up his old one )

I feed my lot together outside, give them bones all at the same time. They get more than one bone.....a bag that is scattered around the balcony.

Only differ when they are puppies.

The dog will only guard the resource if THEY consider it of value.........food is no biggy for my dogs, but hey they are Poodles :D

Resource can also equal.....

Toys

Bedding

Water

Fav sleeping spots

and the one my dogs place most value on Attention from the Owner.

Lily my toy poodle has been known to take a lead to her 'nest' and guard it... on one occasion from totally perplexed (and unconcerned) Vizslas.

She seems to be the only dog I know that regards leads so highly. She's bottom of the poodle pecking order but does reign over the Whippet.

Edited by poodlefan

I feed my lot together outside, give them bones all at the same time. They get more than one bone.....a bag that is scattered around the balcony.

Only differ when they are puppies.

The dog will only guard the resource if THEY consider it of value.........food is no biggy for my dogs, but hey they are Poodles :D

Resource can also equal.....

Toys

Bedding

Water

Fav sleeping spots

and the one my dogs place most value on Attention from the Owner.

I was just going to comment on something similar. Food is of value to Pugs... they are pigs. Bones seem to hold a much higher value though for my dominant boy Boof. He will even go me if I try to take a bone from him.