How Do You Keep Your Dogs Teeth Clean

My GSD/Akita eats chicken wings and they keep his teeth nice and clean, so I am guessing it would work for your Brittany as well.

Also make sure that you are feeding a premium brand of kibble preferably with some form of dental defence so that you are not undoing all the good work that the chicken wings and Greenies are doing.

Thanks for that Anne. I have only ever given my dog brisket bones as I was always led to believe that ANY chicken bones were bad for a dog - be it raw or cooked. Until reading this I would never have given him chicken.

Will do from now on though.

Darcy,

If the dog's teeth are already clean but he still has bad breath the problem may be internal - ie digestive - do you give your dog yoghurt? If not, perhaps add it daily as a treat (preferably unflavoured but with acidopholus) and/or review your dog's diet - don't feed tinned or processed meats and/or talk to your vet about the problem. The suggestions re chicken frames and wings are excellent for maintaining good dental hygiene........

Hi Myszka D'arcy has Four legs and a premium dry food from the vets and i occasional give him a bone a lamb shank but afterwards he will vomit which is not very nice my vet thinks he can't digest it and it comes back up again i cannot give him raw meat as will also make him vomit.

Thankyou everyone i will try and find a chicken frame this week and i will see how he goes and the greenies as well.

darcy :laugh::rofl:

Does yuor dog have a problem with his digestive system? vomiting raw meat can be a sign of that. it could also mean that he is not used to it or eats it too fast.

Try chicken necks, wings back first - easy to digest and will do the job as well.

Try to avoid long weight bearing bones (like a lambs shank) try a lambs neck instead, or a kangaroo tail (it is very reach meat) so your dog might vomit it again.

Have you tried changing his food to another brand?

OK - another naive question - What are "greenies"? (Pleeeeese?)

I've found Kaisies teeth are fairly good on the chicken bones, but the front incisors were developing a bit of "yellow" so I do need to give marrow bone or lamb shank once every week or two to keep things in order.

Never cleaned a dog's teeth in my life - but then, I don't have show dogs :hug:

cheers

Here's a link for you noisymina... :hug:

Greenies

Greenies are a relatively new treat to come into Australia, they are like dentabones only more effective, they have chlorophyl in them- that's why they are green, and this is also a natural breath freshener. They are lower in fat than say a pigs ear. They are high in protein, so you should only feed the size that is relative to the weight range of your dog.

My dogs really like them.

PS Yellow incisors are ok- a little bit of staining on dogs teeth is normal in some areas.

Tartar is not, however.

Kind Regards,

Mel.