Dog Wheelchair

Danelady

Hi all, I have had a dog wheelchair donated back to my centre as unfortunately the dog who used it has now passed away. The very generous previous owner was hoping to donate it to someone in need of one, who are not in the financial position to purchase one, so their dog can have quality of life, just as her dog did with the wheelchair. I have contacted the RSPCA in Victoria and they don't want it, so I thought maybe I might find a worthy recipient on here! It is suited to a large breed like a Samoyed or Labrador or similar. The wheelchair doesn't need to be used for a dog that can't walk. It can also be used for a dog that has very bad arthritis or hip dysplasia who is having trouble just getting around. If you know anyone that may need one please email me (Jo) on [email protected]. Please also leave your contact number so I can give you a call after I have finished for the day at the centre. :confused:

• Like 1

Danelady - that is a really lovely thought on the part of the previous dog's owner. Really sorry for her loss. Also a lovely thought on your part to try to find a worthy new recipient.

If you don't get any takers from here, what about contacting the Lort Smith Hospital and also the Melbourne University Animal Hospital? Perhaps they might know of someone's dog who would do well with something like that but where their owner might be struggling financially?

Edited by Erny
  • Like 1

Hi Erny, Melbourne Uni already know about the wheelchairs as they are one of my regular clients, or their clients are really, for post op rehab and wheelchair fittings and of course wheelchairs if needed! I will try Lort Smith and ask as well. Good idea!

Aussielover, if you have a look at my website in the online shop, there are pictures and info on the wheelchairs. They are all made here in Oz too by the way. Aussie Dog Wheelchairs. Its my other business besides rehab.

post-15425-1271327463.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my clients anyway. This is Axel who lives in NSW. He got hit by a car and broke his back. He had surgery but is still unable to walk properly even after physio, so his owner got him a wheelchair. He is only 5 years old. They also live on a farm so I fitted his wheelchair with 4x4 wheels I call them, so its easier for him to get through long grass, go though mud and not get bogged etc etc. Now Axel can hoon around to his hearts content and is very happy and so are his owners. When his owner put him in the wheelchair for the first time he said that Axel took off down their driveway so fast and ran straight for the road again! His owner couldn't even catch him. He thought he was going to run out onto the road again and get hit again! Lucky he stopped. I always tell people to put a lead on them before they put them in their wheels for the first time as most just take off like rockets!

There are so many people out there who just don't even know these are available and end up putting their dogs down. There are also so many uses. They are not just for paralysed dogs. We have made wheelchairs for cats and now rabbits! They are pretty fantastic, I think anyway.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

:o  Thanks PK  - I didn't bother to check the link or I might have realised and checked the date on the previous comment.

Oh heck -why does it post this weird yellow guy :o when I'm trying to post this embarassed pink guy? :o

Ok I give up! Pink guy from the emoticon menu keeps morphing!

Edited by RuralPug
Emoticon woes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Embarrassed pink guy got replaced with surprised guy in the forum upgrade!

I miss him!

Well then he shouldn't be an option in the emoticon menu anymore, or he should have a different name or something! Hopefully @Troy can sort it out! Pretty please?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Troy may need to know your operating system/device – it's not in the menu I have.

In the Find Emoticons box under the display, if you type in embarrassed, the pink embarrassed man shows up but click and he posts as the yellow geezer LOL

3 minutes ago, RuralPug said:

OOOOH Thank you @Troy!

Look who we have back now: :o  :thanks:

Let me try that again...:o  Bummer. Pink embarrassed man came briefly back to work (see above) but has gone walkabout again. Ah, well, third world problems - not worth worrying about :shrug:

Edited by RuralPug
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you are still looking for a home for the doggy wheelchair, suggest you contact Hailey's Wheels for LIfe, a charity which distributes mobility aides for disabled dogs, cats etc.  They are highly reputable and do a great job and may know of a dog and owner in need.  Link here or here