Rat Crisis! Emergency Or Not?

megan_

Let me start off by saying I hate rats - and quickly add that I've already called the emergency vets.

Lucy got hold of a rat this morning (I don't know where) and was proudly carrying it around the house. I only noticed when she growled at Fergus.

They each had a turn at holding it until I figured out what to do. I bribed them with steak to drop it (normal "give" command didn't work with this high value item) and I put a clear bucket over the rat. The rat is intact, but dead - which means it was poisoned?

I have rung emergency and they've said that as long as the rat is intact they are okay. I have examined the rat again and it is all intact (a tiny tuft of fur is missing here and there). If they had ingested any, they would assume worst case scenario - make them vomit and put them on meds for 6 weeks.

What would you do? Am I negligent for not taking them? I normally rush them to the vets for the slightest thing, but I don't want to fork out $1500 for nothing (feel like sh*t for thinking about money, but I've had loads of maintanence bills lately and I honestly don't know where I'd find this money from).

If they need to go to the vets I'd take them, but I don't want to do it unnecessarily.

Your dogs could have killed the rat, mine do in a heartbeat.

They haven't eaten the rat, I would not be concerned, apart from trying to find where the filthy buggers are camping at your place.

thanks - I am seriously thinking of moving! The fact that I manged to get within one metre of one shows my love for my dogs - I feel like I want to vomit.

Why would it matter if they had eaten the rat? Honest question? One of my dogs found a rat a couple of weeks ago, he didn't eat it, but ran around with it in his mouth. I didn't even consider calling a vet? Is it because it could of died of rat poisoning or because of something else?

Why would it matter if they had eaten the rat? Honest question? One of my dogs found a rat a couple of weeks ago, he didn't eat it, but ran around with it in his mouth. I didn't even consider calling a vet? Is it because it could of died of rat poisoning or because of something else?

It's the rat poison - it kills them in the most awful manner (breaks down red blood cells, internal bleeding etc).

Edited by megan_

ok cool, thanks. The one Phoenix found was under the bushes near our envirocycle. We haven't put rat poison down at all and we've been here for 12 months so not sure how it died, unless a neighbour did the rat poison thing and it decided to come over to our place.

hi yes they are pretty creepy rats aint they .and by this i mean the wild rats i know people say tame ones make fantastic pets but wildones are another story imo.anyway to get back on topic i have staffords and across from where we live and about half a block there is and old recycling centre.it has heaps of rats.as we live so close and on my place out the back we have quite thick gardening and some grape vines every couple weeks we get a rat show up and believe me if my dogs can get its dead in a second.my little girl has made rat catching into a fine art im sure,its like she spyhops through the garden just waiting to come across one.

needless to say ive had to pick up a few dead rats and im lucky in that the dogs only kill them not rip them to piece still isnt particulary pleasent.

as yet none of the dogs have got sick hopefully never will.

i just dispose of the carcass as quickly as possible.

as previous posters have said i would think if they havent eaten they should be fine just keep an eye on your girl

I've got a rat issue too, people in this area are busy setting chickens up in their backyard. My neighbours have put traps down as the rats are eating their veggies but they've got a dog so no poison.

Saw one last week, my maltese flushed it out of the bushes and I was very disappinted in my foxy cross when she didn't twig the rat ran out of the bushes, across the courtyard and into a gap in the wall!! I fully expected her to move like grease lightning and despatch the rodent ..... hmmm .... perhaps I need a JRT !!

It's the rat poison - it kills them in the most awful manner (breaks down red blood cells, internal bleeding etc).

Hmmmm ... have you put out rat poison?

Souff

Yeah, if the rat had been poisoned it would, though I'm not sure that it's anywhere near as bad as eating ratsack directly. My cat was poisoned a few years back by eating a mouse/rat the had ingested ratsack. He survived but needed his stomach pumped and had to stay at the vets for a couple of days. We dont use ratsack either so it must have been one of the neighbours.

Same thing here last week with my cats outside in the run. So scary, I rang the emergency vet too as I found a mouse with no head :) Ratsack at front of property but not the back.

Rural living makes it necessary to use some.

Advice was too late for induced vomit, 3 cats in there so didn't know which one did the deed. Vitamin K injection needed if they vomited with blood in it.

Never slept all night checking them hourly. They were fine.

My country raised friend smelled the mouse :D then proceeded to rip it open, found stomach & said there was no poison pellet in it. No way could I have done that.

To add insult to injury I had a tray ready with 3 cups of dry cat food & 2 cups of chicken pellets ready to do the last feeds.

By the time I had finished on the phone etc it was going dark. Did feeds.

Next morning I found some had not eaten, food untouched.

Freaking out in case they were sick too I discovered that 4 cats had bowls of chicken pellets & the chickens got cat food.

Not something I would want to go through again. I understand your panic for sure.

I have rung emergency and they've said that as long as the rat is intact they are okay. I have examined the rat again and it is all intact (a tiny tuft of fur is missing here and there). If they had ingested any, they would assume worst case scenario - make them vomit and put them on meds for 6 weeks.

What would you do? Am I negligent for not taking them? I normally rush them to the vets for the slightest thing, but I don't want to fork out $1500 for nothing (feel like sh*t for thinking about money, but I've had loads of maintanence bills lately and I honestly don't know where I'd find this money from).

One of my dogs ate some pellets from a throw pack of Ratsak that blew in from somewhere in a fierce storm we had a few weeks ago. I discovered the Ratsak packet the next day and took my dog to the vet. His coagulation blood test was slightly below normal. He had a Vit. K injection followed by 3 weeks of Vit K. tablets. His blood coagulation test 3 weeks later showed a normal level.

It didn't cost $1500. The first consult, test and tablets came to $315.25. When he went back for the second test it cost a revisit consult and the blood coag. test and that cost $116.16 so all up the cost was $431.31.

If your dogs didn't ingest the rat and it was still intact I wouldn't worry about it. If you are nervous then pop the dog along to the vet tomorrow for a coagulation test which my vet charged $75.14 for and you will also pay a consult fee so it should amount to around $130. If you are really worried it would be worth paying that for your peace of mind.

There was an article in our local paper warning of a rat and mouse problem with the ideal conditions for them to breed in and now they are lookin for nice accomodation now that the weather is coolin off. We use baits inside in our secure areas then we use traps in other spots where the dogs still have no access to. In the areas where dogs could have contact we use 50/50 concrete powder and bread flour making sure there is a drink of water near by. The good thing about it is no smell when they die and its safe. Well I wouldn't let young kiddies near it they have been known to eat some very bizarre substances.

Let me start off by saying I hate rats - and quickly add that I've already called the emergency vets.

Lucy got hold of a rat this morning (I don't know where) and was proudly carrying it around the house. I only noticed when she growled at Fergus.

They each had a turn at holding it until I figured out what to do. I bribed them with steak to drop it (normal "give" command didn't work with this high value item) and I put a clear bucket over the rat. The rat is intact, but dead - which means it was poisoned?

If they need to go to the vets I'd take them, but I don't want to do it unnecessarily.

Megan,

How are your dogs tonight?

Just as an aside, most dogs do not eat the rats that they catch.

Some do cart the disgusting things around as "trophies" ... until they are removed and binned!

Lots of rats and mice around at this time of the year, they are looking for places to make nests for the winter.

At least one rat wont be doing that.

Souff